Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pegged the rev limiter... what to look for.

Old 09-23-2005, 11:23 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pegged the rev limiter... what to look for.

Well tonight in the first round of my class there was some debris on the track noticed right after I staged. Anyways, I had to back out of the lights and hit the tires again. To make a long story short I never shifted back to drive from first(A4). When it got to the top of first it was on the limiter for a few seconds, then off cause I let out so it would maybe shift then got back in it and straight back on the limiter it went. Finally I noticed my mistake. Well the idiot I was racing broke out. So I went back to the lanes for second round I didn't hear any loud ticking, or any noise out of the ordinary. I had cut a 2.04 60' the pass i hit the limiter on, and on two other passes that night that I ran 8.66 on both of those. So I dialed 8.66, I knew I had a good light but was devistated to see him on the brakes at the end. The car ran 8.78 and lost 3 mph. What all should I check since I don't hear anything. Obviously, I expected the pushrods to be clacking and clanging like crazy. But I don't hear anything. I know I had to hurt something.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:58 AM
Launching!

Nothing wrong with hitting the rev limiter on acceleration - I don't even know how many times I have. It is the manual trans/accidental downshift mechanical over-rev that is the problem.

Don't worry about it - that's what the limiter is there for.

Steve
Old 09-24-2005, 01:20 AM
12 Second Club

[QUOTE=schultzsj]Don't worry about it - that's what the limiter is there for./QUOTE]

Exactly... no prob.
Old 09-24-2005, 01:36 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you ever match your 8.66 again that night or since then?
Old 09-24-2005, 09:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

I know how that gut feeling that something is wrong. Do you feel any diffirence on the drivability factor? Loss Power?
Old 09-24-2005, 10:10 AM
11 Second Club

If you have a properly set rev "limiter" then there's nothing to look for. That's what the limiter is for, to limit how high your motor can rev and keep any damage from occurring.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:42 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

No problem, I've even hit once on nitrous at the end of the trap (put it in 3rd instead of OD). Felt right away and shut it off. No problem, my FPSS read the drop in fuel and shut off the NOS before I did.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well honestly if you don't hear any noise your probably fine. Usually anything that is bad enough to rob horsepower is going to have other visible symptoms. I'd keep driving it around to see if I notice anything unusual, change the oil before the next track trip just to check, if you're really worried pull the valve covers and take a peak that everything is ship shape.

When my camaro had stock valvetrain it probably saw the rev limiter like 50-60 times, prolly about 5 times on nitrous. Only time I ever bent pushrods was when the engine went.
Old 09-24-2005, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MAXIMO
I know how that gut feeling that something is wrong. Do you feel any diffirence on the drivability factor? Loss Power?
I had that feeling once right after I got my car and did that. Then I realized that feeling was all in my head, and there was no difference.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

I'm no stranger to the limiter myself. Espically with my M6, but that car has never ran that far off the number and especially the 3 mph loss would indicate to me a substantial loss of power. It can't just be nothing. I'm atleast gonna pull the valve covers to see if any pushrods are bent. If someone thinks I'm just parinoid, please explain why the car slowed over a tenth of a second when it never does that. It's a great bracket car because of it's consistancy and the huge fall off cost me the race. So I have to get to the bottom of it before I get back to the track.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:11 PM
TECH Junkie

You will only bend the pushrods from a mechanical over-rev. Bouncing off the rev limiter won't do it.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:15 PM
12 Second Club

any idea for the power loss then?
Old 09-24-2005, 12:23 PM
Launching!

If you worry about it so much the best thing to do is take off the valve cover to check everything and make sure everything is okay. None of us was there when it happned so we can't tell you if its going to be okay or not. If you are so unsure and worry so much, just check everything out, pull the pushrods, and examin all the springs and put your self at easy.
Old 09-24-2005, 12:44 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know a few jackasses that will rev theirs till it bounces off the rev limiter and theirs are just fine. I can't imagine yours being hurt in anyway from that.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

I'll agree with no noise it's plausible that I didn't bend a pushrod(simple as that is I'm gonna check them anyway.) But that still leaves me with a question of what to look at for the loss of power. I'm not looking for someone to say "Oh, this is what you did." I am more looking for someone that knows maybe what could have been hurt i.e. Transmission, rearend..... I dunno. I just know that it bounced off the rev-limiter 10-12 times and after that it's not the same.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:31 PM
TECH Junkie

Nothing got hurt. Sometimes one run is just slower. If you hot lapped it then it could have just been your engine being too hot.
Old 09-24-2005, 02:44 PM
12 Second Club

I regularly have to "Hot lap" it when I get into the third or fourth round and it has never fell more than 4 hundredths. I had the fans on high and had the hood popped open before I turned off on the turn off road. I was off in the staging lanes for 10 minutes with the fans running on high. I appreciate the thoughts guys. Don't get me wrong. I hope you all are right and there is nothing wrong with it. I am on my way to the division finals in a few weeks and need the car to be on it's game.

Search this Thread