Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Help with carb tuning problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 03:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with carb tuning problem

I have a Demon mechanicla secondary 750 CFM carb on my truck. Just got it on last weekend and I am in the process of tuning it. I have a little problem with it stumbling with slight transitions in throttle with the torque converter locked up. My combination is as follows 385cid SBC with ported sportsman IIs and a Victor Jr. intake MSD billet distributor set at 14 degrees initial timing 36 total. It happens when I am cruising part throttle and have to give it a little gas to keep speed up say going up a hill or something like that. I am not sure exactly what it could be but I am thinking that I need to go with a different accellerator pump cam. I have the stock cams on there right now I believe they are the pink ones. Any suggstions?
Old 09-25-2005, 07:09 PM
TECH Addict

me and my friend both have demons and both had to have work done. both ran lean under acceleration so we put the most aggresive accelerator pump cams in and drilled out the squirters.hope that helps.
Old 09-25-2005, 10:00 PM
Teching In

I thought it was probably the cams I will get some when I get a chance and see if it helps. I have ran into some idle problems now that I am fighting with.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default Try A Different Powervalve

You might want go to a lower number powervalve in the primary meteringblock maybe a 6.5 or so,I don't know what gears you are running but sounds like a pretty stout motor that likes more rpm then your are running it.Also be sure and check your float settings and idle screw setting first!!!
Old 10-08-2005, 02:48 PM
Teching In

I changed my PV from a 6.5 to a 4.5 and no difference. I am wondering if it is running off the power valve circuit all the time because I am definately not getting any extra fuel during the sudden vacuum signal loss that occurs when you slightly open the throttle. I know my vacuum at idle with no load is around 9 inches and at idle in gear it is about 6. And from what I've read the power valve should be 1.5-2 inches below at idle in gear.