Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Bleeding the Clutch System

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2005, 06:07 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bleeding the Clutch System

I have a 2000 Z-28 w/m6. Does anyone know how to do a basic bleed of the clutch system. My pedal keeps sticking to the floor. I would appreciate anyones input.
Old 09-25-2005, 07:39 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hank22802
I have a 2000 Z-28 w/m6. Does anyone know how to do a basic bleed of the clutch system. My pedal keeps sticking to the floor. I would appreciate anyones input.
do a search on mityvac. from experience i can tell you that it's easier to spend $30 and use one of those for 15 minutes and get all the air out of the system than to bleed fluid out, stop to put more fluid in, and repeat ad nauseum. you can get them at autozone (they are repackaged but i can't remember the name of the company that repackages them) just ask for a power brake bleeder...

i had the same problem with the pedal sticking to the floor, however, and bleeding it with the mityvac actually made it worse to the point it was undrivable--i ended up having a bad slave and pulling a vaccum on the clutch system sucked extra air through the system because a seal was bad. since this seems to be your basic symptoms as well, you might have problems with some of the hydraulics..not just air in your line.

i would recommend to buy a mityvac and use according to the directions on this site (more than once..a few are listed below).

https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/351003-easiest-way-bleed-without-mityvac.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/352018-need-help-bleeding-master-cylinder.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/manual-transmission/348961-question-about-mityvac.html
Old 09-25-2005, 08:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you choose to do it the old fashioned way it is easier if you drill a hole in your floorboard. Under the car make a few dents with a chisel across from the bleeder screw...when you pull back the carpet from the inside of the car you'll see where you need to drill the hole. That way with a thin walled 11mm or 7/16" socket you can reach the bleeder easy...use an extension or two, I tape them together so they don't accidently fall into the bellhousing.

The clutch fluid resevoir must remain full while you do this, so it doesn't hurt to have a friend watching it. If you've drilled a hole in the floor then you can bleed it with just yourself...I usually kneel down and depress the clutch pedal with my hand, hold it, crack the bleeder, allow fluid to come out, close bleeder, then release clutch pedal. Pump the pedal up again, and repeat this process 10-30 times until you have good pedal feel..
Old 09-25-2005, 08:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did a gravity bleed on mine and it worked fine, it just takes time. Make sure the reservoir is full and crack open the valve at the clutch housing. It'll drip through the slot in the bottom of the clutch housing.