New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

do dealers usually want or not want to give out previous owner info?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2005, 03:22 PM
Teching In

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default do dealers usually want or not want to give out previous owner info?

Just curious what some of your experiences are when asking dealers for the previous owner's contact info.

I'm probably going to make an offer on an 02 NBM WS6 A4 (34k miles) tonight or tomorrow night, and I'm going to call in a little bit to try to get the previous owner's phone number.

I stopped by the dealer saturday and when I asked the salesman for the previous owner's phone number, he shifted immediately to say they had carfax available. (I checked the glove box, no owner's manual).

Now, I don't think he's trying to hide anything necessarilly... I've probably been up there to look at the car 5 times over the past month (several times when they were closed, so as not to seem desparate for it), and have driven it as well. Haven't seen any indications of anything wrong.

They finally dropped the price into my range (they've gone from asking $22,995 when they put it on the lot in May or thereabouts to $18,995), and they keep telling me they're really willing to work with me on price. Very nice car, very clean. Very slight dent in the rear quarter which would pull easily, and some very slight scratching on the rear fasica right next to the drivers side tip (it doesn't go all the way through the paint). It was a one owner car, they sold it new, the salesman said they took it in trade on a new GP GTP. Woman owner supposedly, who needed a 4dr. I think the minor parking lot damage substantiates that it was a woman owner

In any case... I'm just wondering if you guys have encountered dealers who just don't want to give owner info. Maybe because they fear liability issues or ?? It's supposedly GM certified, so I guess I could bitch at them to no end if anything goes wrong.

Thanks for the input!
Old 09-26-2005, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When I was shopping, the 2 dealers that had vehicles I was interested in made it a point to emphasize that they had the contact number and would gladly give it to me if I wanted to give the previous owner a call. I never did call them, but did get the number and verified it returned to the previous owner. Nice to know you can call if you want to. I wouldn't sweat it too much if they won't give it though, privacy issues are a big concern now a days. If the car is in good shape and it's what you want go for it.
Old 09-26-2005, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

the only time i have seen dealers not wanting to give out owner contact info was when i was looking at a couple cars on smaller lots, and the cars were on consignment. those guys knew that they would potentially lose their profit if someone negotiated with the owner. but thats obviously not the situation here, so i dont know what to say.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:08 PM
Teching In

Yeah, I did verify via carfax that it is a one owner car that they sold new, and by looking at the carfax it's also obvious that they took it in trade.

I think I'll ask anyway, but go ahead and make an offer tonight/tomorrow.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:48 PM
TECH Resident

never even asked for a previous owner contact...but i buy from personal owners...and...i only buy if its fromt he original owner and there over the age of 60

Old 09-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Teching In

hehe...

My dad bought a Buick Skylark from a dealer one time.... one owner, it was like 10 years old with 40k miles. We found the original owner info in the glove box... and it happened that the owner lived really close to the dealer, so on the test drive we stopped in to talk to them. It was owned by an OLD lady. She traded it in because she wanted one more new car.

Damn thing never ran right after we had it for a couple months.... and it shook like mad.
Old 09-26-2005, 05:32 PM
TECH Addict

Probably just liability issues, they don't want to be responsible for giving out personal information (like name or phone number) just in case you turn out to be some kind of wacko serial killer (not that you are) you can easily find an address from just a phone number
Old 09-26-2005, 06:52 PM
Banned

really getting the number and calling the previous owner is worthless.....we bought a 99ta with 25k on it...one owner...called her...she was in her 40's..said car never gave her any trouble except the fuel gauge needed replacing...we have had so many problems with this car its insane........so i think its worthless to ask the previous owner anything....hell the rear leaked since it was new(you could see the oil pattern sprayed and dried all over underneath)she never knew it...and of course her friendly ponitac dealer never mentioned it.Also shortly after we bought it the fuel system failed costing over 3600 to repair......sometimes low mileage cars that sit too much develope big troubles
Old 09-26-2005, 07:01 PM
Banned

i'll give you a tip...i wouldn't touch a low mileage ls1 car unless the dealer garrantied the fuel system wasn't full of rust....low mileage ls1 cars are known for it...the ethanol in the fuel makes mince meat out of the crappy carbon steel unprotected fuel lines...rail etc.
Old 09-26-2005, 08:48 PM
Teching In

The only benefit I see is in the event that the person is like "Yeah I traded it in because of XXXX". Then at least you know some of what you're getting into.

However, when I got there tonight, the car was no longer there. Oops! T/A's don't sit long when they hit $19k-ish asking price around here.
Old 09-26-2005, 09:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

I wouldn't ask for it, nor would I expect to have it provided.

I traded in an 86 Chevy truck for a new 88 Chevy 4wd. The old truck was sold locally. I saw it in a driveway one day and stopped to talk to the guy, hoping to strike up a pleasant conversation.

He starts giving me the third degree and complaining about this noise and that sound. Got kind of in my face about how a 33k mile truck could be such a piece of ****. Two months prior there weren't any noises or sounds, and it was a damn fine truck with mostly highway miles. Needless to say, I beat feet out of there and chalked it up to him being a butthead.

Nowdays, I really don't care who had a vehicle before me. If my eyes, ears, and experience don't tell me what I need to know then that's my problem. And, I purchased a new owner's manual online for about $35 for this Camaro. I did the carfax thing before I purchased, too.