Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which route to go for tuning?

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2005, 08:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Which route to go for tuning?

I have read all the stickies, and searched...but I still have questions.

The car currently has a "basic tune" (LS1 edit) done by speed inc. I understand that this basic tune is only slightly better than a handheld...kind of generic, but it kept me passing emissions for the past few years after the header install.

So I am looking for a tuning solution. I am NOT a computer expert, nor am I a tuning expert. I just cant see paying someone $$$ for a professional tune, when my mods are likely to change significanly in the next year or so.

Which software is the easiest to use? Which has the most basic interface. When I searched all I found was the manufacture of each different product claiming they were the easiest.

Would any of these products allow me to tune a grand prix GTP? A friend of mine may be willing to share the cost.

Or would I be better off leaving this to the professionals?

Thanks for any help you can offer.
-Doug
Old 09-27-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EFI Live and HP Tuners both have easy to use interfaces and excellent scanners. you can download the manual from HPT and a demo from efi live , the web sites are in the sticky

HP Tuners is the only software right now that allows V6 and V8 tuning capabilities (I use it on my 2004 GTP and my 2000 Trans Am)

so long as you're willing to spend the time to learn then a full tuning suite is your best bet... you're not going to be able to install the software and in 5 mins "bam I tuned my car" .... there is a learning curve with either software package.

Also you may want to look into a wideband sensor... if you got an LM-1 then it can more easily be switched between cars.

I would suggest checking each manufacturers web site as well...
www.hptuners.com
www.efilive.com
Use the search terms in the sticky, there's alot of information about each tuning package using the search terms I have listed.

Guys I'm leaving this open... remember:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....36&postcount=3

Last edited by horist; 09-27-2005 at 09:31 PM.
Old 09-27-2005, 10:49 PM
TECH Resident

I purchased HPTuners but the interface needs an HCI expert to go over it. I'm sure it does everything [with the ECU] it needs to, but... Lets just say HPT 2.0 can't get here soon enough. I'm keeping HPT, but here's my background: Computer Science graduate student and no tuning background EVER. This thing isn't impossible, but it's not very clear or straight forward. I'm a very patient person but right now I'm really getting frustrated with the usability of this thing. If it wasn't for LS1Tech+search I wouldn't have have the slightest clue as to what I should change. So, if this goes against what horist posted, please feel free to edit it away. If I had seen screen shots of HPTuners and EFILive before I made my purchase and had not seen HPT 2.0 screen shots, I may have gone a different route.

-somebody
Old 09-29-2005, 10:28 AM
On The Tree

I didnt really want to start anything with this post...I was just looking for opinions of those who have used these programs. If no one is allowed to post an opinion, how am I supposed to decide?

How about this...Please PM me with any help you can provide. I've already visited both manufacture's websites and I still cant tell which would be best for me.

I may be leaning towards HPtuners...

Thanks...and sorry.
-Doug
Old 09-29-2005, 10:57 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

efi live is still in beta for 98's & doesnt allow tuning for any v6's that i know of currently so if your were buying today hpt would be your best bet.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:03 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Somebody09
I purchased HPTuners but the interface needs an HCI expert to go over it. I'm sure it does everything [with the ECU] it needs to, but... Lets just say HPT 2.0 can't get here soon enough. I'm keeping HPT, but here's my background: Computer Science graduate student and no tuning background EVER. This thing isn't impossible, but it's not very clear or straight forward. I'm a very patient person but right now I'm really getting frustrated with the usability of this thing. If it wasn't for LS1Tech+search I wouldn't have have the slightest clue as to what I should change. So, if this goes against what horist posted, please feel free to edit it away. If I had seen screen shots of HPTuners and EFILive before I made my purchase and had not seen HPT 2.0 screen shots, I may have gone a different route.

-somebody
I had no real computer background...i was more or less forced into a situation where I needed to do it myself. After a while I got hooked & just wanted to learn more & more