Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

undersize rod bearings.....

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 09:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default undersize rod bearings.....

how far can you go right now on the LS1?

a friend of mine had his motor eat its rod bearings... we're trying to decide if the crank is salvageable or not.. it looks great except for where the rod bearings spun..

heres the remains.. think the crank is salvageable? how far undersize can you get rod bearings for a LS1? we'll be using cheap aftermarket rods to replace it... so probly eagle....

heres whats left of two of his rod bearings:

this is the crank where thoes bearings where.... the rest of the crank looks fine...
Old 09-28-2005, 09:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It may just be the pic quality but that crank doesn't look that bad to me.
Old 09-28-2005, 09:36 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by 777
It may just be the pic quality but that crank doesn't look that bad to me.
it doesnt seem TOO bad, except for one groove that might not come out.. i dont know for sure. its close.
in anycase, we'll need undersize bearings.. but i dont know what all the options for the LS1 are...
havent taken it to the machine shop yet, he probly will today, but it would be nice to know the limit it can be taken to...
Old 09-28-2005, 10:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't know how much this will help but here is a list of bearings from Thunder - http://thunderracing.com/catalog/?ac...p&vid=3&pcid=7
Old 09-29-2005, 08:09 AM
TECH Junkie

ok, new question.

who here is USING a turned crank and undersize rod bearings? how far did you have to go?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to know the answer to this as well.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:57 PM
On The Tree

Rod bearings that fit these engines also fit old school small block chevys with the large 2.100 journal. They sell these in .010 increments up to .060. Those bearings are not race quality but stock replacement and some hot street. They sell up to .020 in high perfromance coated bearings. Clevtie sells .010 and .020 that are oversize on the o.d. as well, so that a shop can resize the rods in cases such as yours or if they want to put new bolts in.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:18 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 123 Likes on 36 Posts

Default spun bearing

You can get undersized bearings as Mac stated. That crank may be bent however. I would have that checked before contemplating anything else.

Best way to fix that deal is to get a good used crank from someone on this forum. There must be plenty of them sitting around after guys installed stroker cranks and or new short blocks. It would be cheaper and better than grinding your crank if you are just interested in getting the engine back together so you can drive the car.

The rod or rods may be salvageble with the oversized OD bearings. Again, I bet there are many sets of good used stock rods sitting around collecting dust.

Originally Posted by MrDude_1
how far can you go right now on the LS1?

a friend of mine had his motor eat its rod bearings... we're trying to decide if the crank is salvageable or not.. it looks great except for where the rod bearings spun..

heres the remains.. think the crank is salvageable? how far undersize can you get rod bearings for a LS1? we'll be using cheap aftermarket rods to replace it... so probly eagle....

heres whats left of two of his rod bearings:

this is the crank where thoes bearings where.... the rest of the crank looks fine...
760-630-0450
web: www.raceenginedevelopment.com/
e-mail: race-engine-development@***.net
Old 09-30-2005, 02:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think i remember seeing used stock cranks go for around ~200 bucks. Subtract from that the cost of having the journals ground down. Isn't the price difference worth the piece of mind of having a crank in good condition?
Old 06-20-2008, 04:39 AM
Launching!

i know this post is from 3 years ago , but are there any "new" developments in this area , as i have a crank and rods that are damaged too

unfortunately shipping a crank will be a bit pricy at the moment esp. since i'm at the other end of the globe at the moment.... so i have to make due (if possible) with the parts i have

thanks.

Last edited by jeejee; 06-20-2008 at 04:39 AM. Reason: subscribed...

Quick Reply: undersize rod bearings.....