Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning assembled heads before install???

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2005, 01:24 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cleaning assembled heads before install???

Finally got my PRC 5.3L stg 2.5's. My overall impression of them is (not sure). They looked pretty good but the packaging wasn't quite what I expected (no visible damage though). They also still needed some attention, they had alot of sharp raised lips and burrs.

I just got done cleaning up the burrs and edges and there were alot of them. I used a tiny finishing file, man they really needed it. There were loose burrs (that I could pull off with my fingers/fingernails) @ the plug threads in the combustion chamber, in the water jackets, and even the intake and exhaust ports.

Now I'm pretty happy with them ! I'm wondering how you guy's clean these things before install? Other than compressed air, do any of our "extremely **** members" do any other type of cleaning? I want to make sure I don't end up with any tiny burrs in my internals!!!

Thanks in advance
-Aaron
Old 09-29-2005, 09:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

I got some advise from Pretator Z, (THANKS!!!) Anyone else???

TTT
Old 09-29-2005, 09:22 AM
12 Second Club

can ou post it up? im thinking of getting a set of heads that are used and doing some port work to them...(cant pass up this deal, even though they wont go one for a LONG time)
Old 09-30-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

He pretty much just said that he used compressed air and some WD-40!!!

I bought an air nozzel from Harbor Freight that I think will be usefull. It's a small air/siphon nozzel. It has a 13" extension that's about as big around as a straw, and you can run up to 100psi through it. I figure I ought to be able to blow out every nook and cranny with it!! $12 .

Should also be usefull for the head bolt holes!!

Good Luck (I'm sure I'm gonna' need a little myself)
Old 09-30-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ashade98
He pretty much just said that he used compressed air and some WD-40!!!

I bought an air nozzel from Harbor Freight that I think will be usefull. It's a small air/siphon nozzel. It has a 13" extension that's about as big around as a straw, and you can run up to 100psi through it. I figure I ought to be able to blow out every nook and cranny with it!! $12 .

Should also be usefull for the head bolt holes!!

Good Luck (I'm sure I'm gonna' need a little myself)
Dont use a lubricant to clean your heads, you dont want the residue. If they are dirty, use carb blast. Just keep away from your valve seals. If they are dirty or not, just finish off with water. Only do that right before you assemble, due to the fact you will get some rust on exposed steel areas. IE, seats and guides. Blow clean with air anything water or chemicals left behind. Never install "wet". That is how you should clean them if you dont have any detergent wash on hand.

Brandon
Old 09-30-2005, 02:03 PM
On The Tree

im just going to use compressed air to get all the stuff out of the ports, im to scared to use any chemicals or anyhitng on mine
Old 09-30-2005, 05:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I think I'll stay away from the carb cleaner as well. It's not going to wash away any loose metal burrs anyway. No sense in risking it!!!!
Old 09-30-2005, 06:32 PM
On The Tree

Wink

Ive seen shops use Brake Cleaner and compressed Air.
Old 09-30-2005, 07:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NYC FRANK
Ive seen shops use Brake Cleaner and compressed Air.
Works for me!
Old 09-30-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Carb Cleaner to clean up alot of the Carbon. Brake cleaner wouldn't get it off well enough.

I also got some Plastic scrapers to clean up old Gasket material. Take some scotch brite pads to the ports not hard, but not light. itll get all the residue and any small metal that might be hanging around. (shouldn't be any but doesn't hurt.)

I then put them in the Dish washer with no Detergent and let it basically hot wash the part for an hour. Came out pretty good. Took about 3 hours to clean 1 head well enough. Still thinking about getting a good valve job done and then finnally assy. them and swap them on.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:30 AM
TECH Apprentice

Brake cleaner, or putting them through the dishwasher???? Are we talking about assembled heads here???? These are new assembled heads, I just had to clean up some burrs from the cnc process. I don't wan't little aluminum burrs floating around my engine.
Old 10-02-2005, 02:12 PM
On The Tree

Wink

Originally Posted by ashade98
Brake cleaner, or putting them through the dishwasher???? Are we talking about assembled heads here???? These are new assembled heads, I just had to clean up some burrs from the cnc process. I don't wan't little aluminum burrs floating around my engine.
That,s what Cartek did (brake cleaner & compressed air) to NEW heads before install just to make sure they were clean. I would also try and push on the valve to open It to make sure there's no metal particles in the valve seat area.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use starting fluid to clean everything. It works great and dries quicker than brake cleaner. As far as the burrs go, just hit them with a file and then use the starting fluid.

Quick Reply: Cleaning assembled heads before install???