Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need sub opininos

Old 09-28-2005, 09:16 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need sub opininos

I know I know everyone has their own opinions but I was curious since my friend let me borrow a 10" kicker in a small ported box the one with tubes and it sounds as loud and cleaner than brothers pos boss in a sealed box mind you the kicker has been through hell and looks like crap with a max rms of like 100 max. The reason for such shitty subs is that I blew my "700 rms audiobahns" well one of them the other one sounds like crap so "1400" blown well I was wondering since I hear that the loudness and quality of the system is due to the sub//box combo so what do you guys have experience with i'm working with about 1000-1500 rms something that sounds really clean kicks lots of A*s for example at a car show this dude's system was insane with 2 10" subs though be it they where ported I'm not really sure I can fit a ported box in the well of my camaro anyone care to chime in?

Cliff notes: Whats a good sub/box combo Loud and Clean, IE Kicker l7 in a 1.5 c/f box stuff like that thanks
Old 09-29-2005, 06:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Image dynamics.

IDmax
Old 09-29-2005, 08:06 AM
TECH Addict

Image Dynamics is really good. I used to run their 12" DVC subs back when I competed. Set a state record in 1998 for it, 156db with 1 autotek amp. Box was ported of course.

As far as sub box combo, there is no magic combo.
Sealed boxes are good for alot of power and tight bass. Of course the bigger the box, the lower the tone it will pick up.
Ported boxes are great for small power and alot of bass. A ported box will always play louder and lower than a sealed box. But also is a little bit harder to build than a sealed box.

My personal opinion is to go with a ported box. They are usually bigger than a sealed box, but will be louder and cleaner than a sealed box.
My current setup I am using an audiobahn 8" sub pro pressure for my enclosure. Ported of course.

Hopefully Richic777 and 2muchricemakesmesick will jump in here and help you out also.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:19 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by shouldaboughttheZ
My personal opinion is to go with a ported box. They are usually bigger than a sealed box, but will be louder and cleaner than a sealed box.
My current setup I am using an audiobahn 8" sub pro pressure for my enclosure. Ported of course.
A ported box will definitely play louder than a sealed box, but a majority of the time, will not play cleaner.

If you are looking for a sub that will thump but will also give you good SQ, I would recommend the IDMax, JL W6v2, or Brahma (though I have never heard one before, many recommend them for these applications).

Edit: and I would run these in a sealed box designed to the manufacturers specs.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:20 AM
On The Tree

any sub you're going to get the most bang for the buck ported. when you pick a sub, there is going to be a trade off as far as what the sub is better at/ designed for.
any number of brands will do good.
powerbass
treo
memphis
crystal pro se X2 or their comp X2
mtx 9500
........etc.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:29 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 95stroked1500
any sub you're going to get the most bang for the buck ported.
What exactly do you mean "most bang for your buck?" It will play louder and require less power to get that loud than in a sealed enclosure, but your box will be bigger as well, so you sacrifice space and SQ.

A sealed enclosure will allow for better SQ, deeper bass extension, and won't require as big of box.

IMO, sealed would definitely be the way to go if you are looking for SQ (as long as you have enough power to run to the sub though).
Old 09-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Staging Lane

If you want something that fits in there good, and sounds clean as hell, go with a W7 or another good sounding woofer that has long excursion, in a sealed box. You should be able to get that tight bass hit, w/o the "ported sound" By this I mean that most ported enclosures that are not custom built by someone that really know what they are doing, have a certain sound to them that is not smooth. We have an SQ car we did for my shop that is running one 13" Focal Utopia sub, ported, that sounds awesome but the enclosure was custom built by me, and the sub costs around $1400 retail. I have always been a fan of JL12W6s in sealed enclosure with a good amount of clean power on them.

What amp are you running by the way? This makes a HUGE difference in what your stuff will sound like. What deck etc. wiring size, etc. are you running also if you don't mind?
Old 09-29-2005, 11:44 AM
Staging Lane

Here is a pic of the enclosure... And I only had 6 hours to do the amp racks and the car is getting redone right now with different amps, so no poo talking...
Attached Thumbnails Need sub opininos-todstrunk.jpg  
Old 09-29-2005, 12:09 PM
Staging Lane

nice install.

I personally like the w6 over w7. Plus the w6 doesn't require quite as large as an enclosure as the w7, not to mention the w7 needs much more power.

I would go to a store and listen to some different setups. Oftentimes, the guys who work there will have equipment in their cars that they'll let you listen to, so you get a more accurate feeling of what the speakers will sound like.

One more thing: sound deadening. It will help the quality of sound tremendously.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:35 PM
Staging Lane

I agree 100% with that. Sound deadening is a MAJOR deal in our cars. It helps out with the resonation and honestly, the F-body is one of the easiest cars to sound deaden by far.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:34 PM
Banned

The deal with ported boxes is that they're usually very big and as we all know camaro's have small trunks, I don't mind using up all the trunk as long as it sounds nice, know anyone who could build be a ported box for my camaro? Also how many cubic feet do you think they could get out of it?
Old 10-01-2005, 01:42 PM
Staging Lane

Where are you located?? I could make you an enclosure and hook you up with some good subs, but shipping would be pretty expensive. Let me know exactly how much $ you are looking to spend with woofers, and I will see if I can build you a custom box and ship it etc. of that amount.

Scott
Old 10-02-2005, 12:18 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by thaar
What exactly do you mean "most bang for your buck?" It will play louder and require less power to get that loud than in a sealed enclosure, but your box will be bigger as well, so you sacrifice space and SQ.

A sealed enclosure will allow for better SQ, deeper bass extension, and won't require as big of box.

IMO, sealed would definitely be the way to go if you are looking for SQ (as long as you have enough power to run to the sub though).

deep bass extension and sq depend on tuning and the quality of equip you're playing with. i can properly tune a ported box. each sub will require diff box space. there are subs intended for a small ported box, that the ported box isn't any bigger than other subs sealed box requirements. the crystal comp 10 is one example. and it sounds very good ported. hits deep and has a very snappy transient response.

sealed is easiest to work with and is the most forgiving. sure on paper, it is better sq than ported. half the time to the ear it is a little better. everybody can quote what they read. but truthfully, how many people can do a blind fold test and tell the diff? the best sq system i ever heard had ported enclosures.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

My question for you is... if you liked the sound of the kicker, why not stick with them? Kicker makes great stuff.
Old 10-02-2005, 04:56 AM
On The Tree

that was my initial Q, but it looks like he wants some thing that'll take a lot more power than the one he's borrowing.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:20 AM
TECH Regular

well kicker will take more power then 100rms I got a l5 hooked up to a 800.2 in a ported box right now it's rated at 350 rms in a ported box and it's got more then that to it. also it'll take 700rms in a sealed box as per kicker spec's. the l7 will take even more I forget the ezact spec's but near 500-600 rms ported and over 1000rms sealed. if that still not enough there is alway's teh solox option. just better buy a couple amp's for that option.
Old 10-04-2005, 06:33 PM
Teching In

I would go with a single 10" or 12" w7 with that power and space. Right now I have a single 10" in a jl ho ported box w/ a jl 1000.1 amp. It is in my 4runner and is really loud and clear.
Old 10-29-2005, 03:12 PM
Banned

The thing with jl is that its $$$ lol
Old 10-29-2005, 03:22 PM
Banned

Anyone know much about the new kicker cvrs?
Old 10-30-2005, 01:17 AM
TECH Resident

comp vr is a rockin *** sub for the cash, i had a 10 with 400 watts going to it for over a year, never broke,sounded great.

Jeremy

Search this Thread