Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

Paging RobertT56 and other local juice guys.

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 01:46 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Paging RobertT56 and other local juice guys.

any opinions on this new setup from NOS? benefits over NX's MAF?

on sale now through Speed, Inc.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/sponsor-sales-specials/384657-nos-speed-inc-new-plate-system-specials.html
Old 09-29-2005, 02:00 AM
TECH Addict

Wet kit = bad. That is what all those blown (literally) engine videos were running.

Mine is a dry NX kit with all the zu-zus and wham-whams (Ryan hooked me up good!) By the time you buy all the optional equipment (which you really probably do need with just about any nitrous system) it does not look like that good of a deal to me.

Just my .02
Old 09-29-2005, 02:28 AM
12 Second Club

Wet isn't a bad thing as long as you're not getting any preignition and your valve seals are good. As long as you have all the right equipment it should be fine. In fact I think a lot wouldprefer wet because it helps make sure you have enough fuel in the mixture to not go lean. But I could be wrong as I've never used it myself and could be mis-informed.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:06 AM
10 Second Club

Psssst - hey Josh while I admit I know very little about NOS (yet), I do know one thing. If you are going to ask people what their opinion is about something you want to learn more about, LISTEN to what they tell you.

If you look at what you said back to Howard, or should I say how you said it, you kinda squashed anyone elses desire to give you an answer. How I read that was "I already made up my mind to buy this wet kit, so will everyone please tell me I am right."

Quite often the best information you can get is directly opposed to what you think. The hard part is listening to it long enough to learn from it. I know, I have the same problem.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:34 AM
10 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Wet isn't a bad thing as long as you're not getting any preignition and your valve seals are good. As long as you have all the right equipment it should be fine. In fact I think a lot wouldprefer wet because it helps make sure you have enough fuel in the mixture to not go lean. But I could be wrong as I've never used it myself and could be mis-informed.

Sure Glad you are the expert here! Why did you ask us again?

Many people run wet kits. The most popular one for a while was tested on Ryan K's car at turbo tech. I have been watching this one and it is very new. I always wonder about new stuff till a few dozen people like you have tried it Historicly a wet kit in Dry intake has not been the best idea. Dry intakes tend to have large plenumns and runner to hold the explosive charge. One bad valve seat and you hit it coming off the line and there is plastic every where!

On the other hand people do it all the time
Old 09-29-2005, 10:09 AM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Josh, I will probely be seeling my nxl kit in the next couple of months if you want, it is adirect port setup that piggybacks the injectors then you don't have to deal with the whole dry intake thing.

do some reading in the nitrous section to get yourself familiar with the dirfrent systems out their.

A dry system would be great for you, plus there is not as much stuff to hook up.

I agree with mark and elis when dealing with nitrous, when someone who runs it gives you some advice you should listen up cause it can cause things to go bad real quick as you have seen in some of the vids out there.
Old 09-29-2005, 10:27 AM
12 Second Club

Yeah I understand that and I wasn't trying to sound like a know it all (hence why at the end I could be wrong). But just that out right saying a wet kit is bad just doesn't make sense. Both have their strong points. A lot of guys run big dry shots and don't have problems (like RobertT56). And there are guys who run wet systems through the intake without any problems. In this game nothin is really a safe bet, anything can go wrong if you're not careful.

And jason I may take ya up on that, since it'll be a couple/few months before I look for a system.

I'm guessing with the dry systems the FPSS is what keeps you from going too lean? since I'm only thinkin of running a 100-150 shot at the most that might just be the way to go.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

wet or dry if you dont have the safety measures your playing with fire. Been my experience that NOS was more expensive than NX and is in no way a better product. They are both very good mfg'd in the USA and will produce the same results. As far as blowing motors... USE the safety features, they're not there for looks. A properly tuned car will not have a problem with a wet shot, at all. Shop around talk to nitro dave on here and get yourself educated on the subject, dont just listen to one persons opinions including mine. I just dropped a lot of coin on my system and did the reseach.
FPSS, WOT Switch, and a window switch. This isnt the movies where you push a button and drive your car the next day. You can set it up that way but you'll be buying a new motor soon enough.
Old 09-29-2005, 11:38 AM
Tech Addict

the only wet kit i'd run would be like sardogs. no way in hell i'd run wet through the intake.
Old 09-29-2005, 12:42 PM
TECH Addict

Time to switch to an LT1, eh?
Old 09-29-2005, 02:37 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by rookiels1
Yeah I understand that and I wasn't trying to sound like a know it all (hence why at the end I could be wrong). But just that out right saying a wet kit is bad just doesn't make sense. Both have their strong points. A lot of guys run big dry shots and don't have problems (like RobertT56). And there are guys who run wet systems through the intake without any problems. In this game nothin is really a safe bet, anything can go wrong if you're not careful.

And jason I may take ya up on that, since it'll be a couple/few months before I look for a system.

I'm guessing with the dry systems the FPSS is what keeps you from going too lean? since I'm only thinkin of running a 100-150 shot at the most that might just be the way to go.
Plan on december, thats when I will be back from italy.
Old 09-29-2005, 02:45 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by Poik
Time to switch to an LT1, eh?
to go slower?
Old 09-29-2005, 03:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well it's not an opinion, which is safer wet/dry, but fact that dry is safer. I have a collection of intake/hood removals videos and you know what, they are all wet. The problem with the lsx's is the fact that the plenum is below the runners, it has to go down, up and over. You can think of it like an oil catch can. Now a certain amount of fuel is going to be left behind (basic physics) and normally this is not a problem, but can be, and thus the explosions we see on ls1 cars that normally would be just the swooosh bacfire on above runner plenums. Now there are many other factors that can come into play on the fuel/back-fire thing, low rpms. bogging, cam overlap, cyl hot spot and more. Now am I against wet kits, not at all, but want everyone to realise that wet is somewhat more prone to engine damage on the lsx's, compared to dry. really, about the only problem you'll have with dry is a noid sticking open and with redundant noids this will not happen. I must state I have no connection with any n2o company or vendor. I have been stating for years that a person would be hard pressed to find someone who has hurt there motor running a NOS 5177 dry kit. So far, on many sites, no one has come foward and this kit is capable of 300hp. With this said, wet kits are safer than they have ever been. If a person makes an informed decession to go wet, that's fine with me. Wet will give a slight amount of additional torque over a same size dry, but sometimes that's a down fall depending on running gear and other conciderations. The kit you show is fine, and NX is fine also, so is TNT. Only you can decide brand loyalty/choice.
Ther is a whole lot more on why I consider dry to be the better choice, and if you want the info I'll give it to ya.
Robert
Old 09-29-2005, 04:24 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Question, the damaged intake/hood you saw, were they running a wide open throttle switch? Pooling occurs when not properly utilized. If you only spray at WOT it shouldnt be a problem, or do you disagree with that? Are you saying that even at WOT the intake still tends to collect?
Old 09-29-2005, 04:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Even with a wot sw, with out a ws, you bog on launch and a big boom could happen. You said damaged hood/intake, fact is damaged hoods/intakes, as in many. There are null areas in the intake and collection of liquid fuel is a reallity, normally after spraying this becomes vapor and soon is gone. Problem really is when an ignition source becomes available and ignites the vapor, then the liquid is additional fuel for the fire, another reason these are so violent when back fireing. Listen to wet car at the end of a run upon deceleration, poping outa the pipe. What do think this is? Left over fuel from intake track. Engineers designed the lsx manifold to flow dry/air not liquid/gas, which would have had different engineering if it was a wet manifold. GM has also had problems with H2O collecting in manifold?
Robert
Old 09-29-2005, 04:42 PM
12 Second Club

Robert any advice and info is greatly appreciated of course I'd have all the safety measures, WOT, RPM Window Switch, FPSS, Etc... would the smaller injectors on a 99 be able to keep up with a dry shot if it's already running some bolt ons? or would it be a better bet to upgrade the injectors as well (thinkin might need to replace them anyways as they have a 112k on em)

Thanks everyone for their input.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well the only real way to know for absolute is to log and check injector duty cycle. You can go past the 80% rec limit. This short time on a dry run will cause no adverse affects, however stay away from going static. You would prob be ok for a small dry to start with. A link in my web to new 30lb SVO (36 at our psi) injectors for about $185, and considering a dry kit is cheaper than a wet, it really doesn't cost more like some say to up grade injectors.
Robert
Old 09-29-2005, 05:41 PM
TECH Addict

I'm now running a WOT switch and a boost switch as an extra measure of safety. WOT and Boost above 3psi allows N2O. Boost below 3 psi no N2O. And it's wet.
Old 09-29-2005, 06:26 PM
Pathological Modifier

The problem with any plate system for a LS1 is Distribution. If it injects into the upper part of the manifold, it WILL miss the first two cylenders. Look at the manifold, look at the throttle body, if the throttle is open then the air flow into the first runners is coming from the bottom half of the Throttle opening.
Old 09-29-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryan K
The problem with any plate system for a LS1 is Distribution. If it injects into the upper part of the manifold, it WILL miss the first two cylenders. Look at the manifold, look at the throttle body, if the throttle is open then the air flow into the first runners is coming from the bottom half of the Throttle opening.
You would think that a large conservative company like NOS would not introduce a new product (months old) with front cylinders leaning out. Also, Nitro Dave or NX just released a plate system. They claim it works fine. I know there was talk on earlier models from other companys that front was lean. I have no first hand knowledge that in fact this new generation of plates has dist probs. Can check threads in N2O section on this issue as it has come up recently.
Robert

Quick Reply: Paging RobertT56 and other local juice guys.