Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Strange ticking noise, any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 06:25 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Strange ticking noise, any ideas?

I've owned a 2002 WS6 for about 7 months now, just within the last 3 weeks I have noticed a ticking noise only on acceleration when I crank up my car after its been sitting for a while.. it never makes the noise when I rev in neutral while standing still or while rolling, only when in gear and accelerating..it usually subsides after the car has been running for a while.. I was told to check the AIR check valves, but they seem to be perfectly functional, they only blow air one way, (toward the exhaust) To my knowledge the check valves should not be fluttering with stock headers. I know the person who owned the car before me did some mods but im not sure if he did headers. How can I tell if the oem headers have been swapped? Also, would it be better to do the restrictor plate mod or just entirely remove the AIR system altogether? Will removing it altogether damage anything? Any help would be appreciated...
Old 09-29-2005, 09:25 PM
12 Second Club

The stock manifolds look significantly different than any aftermarket headers.

Stock are four pipes right off (a few inches) the heads into one straight pipe.

Aftermarket are four individual pipes that curve around for a few feet, then connect.

Do the restrictor plate. No issues that way. It worked for me.

Another possibility is an exhaust leak. It could be leaking when the car is cold till the metal heats up (and expands to close the leak).
Old 09-30-2005, 04:47 PM
Staging Lane

what is the best way to check for an exhaust leak? Another thing that happens only when driving after sitting for a while is there is a backfire when I shift gears out of what sounds like the exhaust, and just like with the ticking, it usually subsides after running for a bit..another symptom of a possible exhaust leak? these noises are driving me crazy!
Old 09-30-2005, 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

prob the normal piston slap, if it goes away when the car warms up. can you hear it slightly at idle?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by RiceEatingWS6
what is the best way to check for an exhaust leak? Another thing that happens only when driving after sitting for a while is there is a backfire when I shift gears out of what sounds like the exhaust, and just like with the ticking, it usually subsides after running for a bit..another symptom of a possible exhaust leak? these noises are driving me crazy!
The "backfire thing" more like a "burble" or cackle happened to me when my exhaust was stock. It would do that when the engine was cold, for the first 2-3 times when I'd shift from 1st to second. I guess it's normal, something to do with the exhaust rerouting from the headers to the intake when the engine is heating up. Emissions related to heat up the cats faster.

Exhaust leaks will be a ticking sound that ISN'T coming from under the hood (unless it's at the manifold).

Normally you can see some carbon buildup (black stuff) around where the leak is.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:06 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
prob the normal piston slap, if it goes away when the car warms up. can you hear it slightly at idle?
no i cant hear it when it's idling
Old 10-01-2005, 10:08 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by silverTA2002
The "backfire thing" more like a "burble" or cackle happened to me when my exhaust was stock. It would do that when the engine was cold, for the first 2-3 times when I'd shift from 1st to second. I guess it's normal, something to do with the exhaust rerouting from the headers to the intake when the engine is heating up. Emissions related to heat up the cats faster.

Exhaust leaks will be a ticking sound that ISN'T coming from under the hood (unless it's at the manifold).

Normally you can see some carbon buildup (black stuff) around where the leak is.
I actually just put on a new slp loudmouth modular catback system yesterday and it still makes like cackling noise just like you described.. at what point in modifying your exhaust did the noise disappear?