Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

trans. problem

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2005, 08:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default trans. problem

aight tongiht i ran at my local 1/8th and had my best times so far, and they were all consistent, car felt real strong out there compared to my past outings. anyways, on my way home i was leaving from a red light and i wasnt racing it or anything but i wasnt driving slow either, just my reg. driving style. when i shifted to 3rd, there was all kinda scraping up under me and it was like my clutch wasnt catching, it just reved up instead of gained speed. i finally got the car home cruisin at around 40 mph in 4th gear, but i cant take it over 2k rpms w/o it makin all the god awful noise. i was sure its the trans, and my dad confired that when i got home. from what ive told you, could anyone tell me possibly what ive done, what needs to be fixed in the trans., and how much its gonna cost me (if my dad doesnt sell it cause he pisssssed) i've got about $1k i can spend right now but ill be broke.
Old 09-29-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

helllllllllllllllpppppppppp
Old 09-29-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I replied to your pm. I addition to what I wrote you, the rpms raising without gain speed could be the clutch, which would be a lot cheaper to fix than the tranny. Also if you have bad 02 sensors they can cause a real strange popping sound that you can feel in your feet and usually quits when you let off the throttle. I had that happen to me one time and scarred me to death, thought I had really messed something up bad, but turned out to be a easy fix replacing the front 02 sensors.
Old 09-30-2005, 02:22 PM
TECH Addict

any ideas anyone?
Old 09-30-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

years back i had a racing clutch( puck type-6pt) put in my car and one day it decided to it didnt like my flywheel anymore and it shave a slice out of the flywheel, loudest noise ive ever heard but still driveable. my dad told me if it was driveable to get it to the house before it broke down and had to be towed so as i went down the road with this auwful noise it got super loud and i heard a pop and something hit the street. no more noise, got it home and saw a nice hole in the side of the bellhousing. my mechanic went to change the clutch, told me the clutch was fine but the flywheel was eat up and then handed my a piece of the flywheel he found in the bellhousing. i dont know much about trannys but clutch/flywheel issues could be your prob. just my .02 from personal experience
Old 09-30-2005, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

i just talked to the guy that towed it to the shop today.....he hasnt ripped into it yet, but from the noise and feel he said it seems that i've shattered the centerpiece of my clutch. i've got my fingers crossed on this one, bc i was about to upgrade to a Spec Stage 2 anyway . let's just hope and pray thats what it is.
Old 09-30-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

Location: sojourning....looking for my city whose builder and maker is God.

Originally Posted by kyles2000z
i just talked to the guy that towed it to the shop today.....he hasnt ripped into it yet, but from the noise and feel he said it seems that i've shattered the centerpiece of my clutch. i've got my fingers crossed on this one, bc i was about to upgrade to a Spec Stage 2 anyway . let's just hope and pray thats what it is.
That would be great news. I will keep my fingers crossed for you!!!