View Full Version : Home audio help! Receiver keeps turning off...

u8dusst
09-30-2005, 12:19 PM
I have an Onkyo TXNR801, and its hooked up through my computer. I just use the standard audio out to the video 1 audio input. Everything was working great, I could turn it up loud as hell and it was fine, then a couple days ago it would just shut off when it got to about 65. Hardly loud. Any ideas of what it could be?

Its still under warranty, but the local service place said it will be two weeks to repair. If its something simple like a fuse or something. id like to do it myself. Any ideas?

Another thing, im not using the crossover in the sub like Polk Audio suggests. Could that anything to do with it? Im just running the speakers straight from the receiver.

badjuju342
09-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Most likely it is going into protect mode. Try this: disconnect one speaker at a time and see if it still quits . If it stays on after you unplugged a speak , there's your problem. Replace the offending speaker.

Camaroholic
09-30-2005, 01:56 PM
juju is right.

One day my subwoofer amp started shutting itself off for no damn reason. Out of the blue (I was on the phone with Richie77 at the time).

Turns out that the subwoofer it was running - whoever put the speaker in had pinched the wire between the speaker surround and the wood. The speaker insulation broke through when someone tightened the screws for the speaker earlier that evening... and the amp was simply protecting itself. Cutting off the bad portion of the wire, and properly reconnecting the speaker, solved the problem. Amp hasn't cut out since.

Did I ever tell ya'll about the 3.7 cu ft 12" home theater sub I built? It rocks. :D But only when it's not in 'protect mode' :emb:

u8dusst
09-30-2005, 10:15 PM
well, i finally got my lazy ass up and took a look at it. two speaker wires were touching, causing the receiver to go into protect mode before it shorted something out. simple fix, and my onkyo is still is a tank. :D literally, at 56 pounds. ;)

Richiec77
09-30-2005, 10:33 PM
juju is right.

One day my subwoofer amp started shutting itself off for no damn reason. Out of the blue (I was on the phone with Richie77 at the time).

Turns out that the subwoofer it was running - whoever put the speaker in had pinched the wire between the speaker surround and the wood. The speaker insulation broke through when someone tightened the screws for the speaker earlier that evening... and the amp was simply protecting itself. Cutting off the bad portion of the wire, and properly reconnecting the speaker, solved the problem. Amp hasn't cut out since.

Did I ever tell ya'll about the 3.7 cu ft 12" home theater sub I built? It rocks. :D But only when it's not in 'protect mode' :emb:

Glad it worked out nicely. Who was it that did the Install?????????? :confused:

I think it was diagnosed as "Operator Head Space and Timming." Might be wrong. lol