Sponsored by:

Th400 RMVB Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 02:23 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Th400 RMVB Questions

Ok I have a couple things I need to get straight:

1. With a Reverse manual valvebody, do I have to wire up the transbrake to even get into reverse? or can I leave it disconnected for the time being?

2. Downshifting: can I downshift the car at a low speed at all?

3. What all is involved in swapping out the rmvb to a forward manual setup? Is it as simple as just unbolting the valvebody and putting the new one in?
Old 09-30-2005, 02:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by xssive

1. With a Reverse manual valvebody, do I have to wire up the transbrake to even get into reverse? or can I leave it disconnected for the time being?
It depends on the valve body design. Our, you can leave it disconnected and place the shifter in reverse and it will work. Others you will have to hook up the TB to get reverse to work. Your best bet is to talk to the person building your trans about the operation of your reverse with the RMVB that is being used. Most RMVB manufactures state how their valve bodies should be operated to avoid damage.

I believe this is not a problem, you can also look for john kilgore and ask him. He is on this forum sometimes.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:47 PM
The Bull

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Already answered above. It depends on who you get it from. Most will have a reverser already in it so you will not need the transbrake. The reverse lights however, that's a different story.

Yes you can. Here's proof. Car closest to the camera is mine with the TH400 in it on the freeway. Jump from third to second was at about 60 or so, but I can't remember.

3. What all is involved in swapping out the rmvb to a forward manual setup? Is it as simple as just unbolting the valvebody and putting the new one in?
Typically yes. But, check with the person who makes your trans for you for their perspective. I'm not up on the internal guts enough to know if any of them are making modifications to the trans that might have adverse effects with the change in the valve body. They can also tell you what it costs. But, to be honest reverse manual valve bodies are very easy to drive so I doubt that you would want to switch it. But, who knows.

Good luck.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:01 PM
TECH Addict

Well what worries me is the fact that I just got done reading a thread on here stating the reverse manuals are for drag racing exclusively. It was clearly stated by most people that responded that you are NOT to downshift at any speed, and if you did, you should cause the shell to explode....

Is that all just a bunch or bs?

I want to be able to have fun driving the car...not that im going to downshift all the time, just that I want to be able to when I feel like it.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:03 PM
TECH Addict

Watching your video brings up an other point. I am talking about downshifting with the intent to get on it, not to engine brake.

Do you lift off to shift at all, or do you keep the pedal mashed and shift?
Old 09-30-2005, 04:18 PM
The Bull

I shifted that time with the medal at part throttle and transitioned to full throttle after it was in. I'll go on record saying that if you can avoid the down shifting it's going to be easier on the trans. Normal street driving you will not have any issues downshifting the car. With line pressures around 100% it will have some snap to it.

Hutch builds some awesome TH400's that on the street they have no real snap in them. By far it's one of the most comfortable TH400's I've ever tried. The current trans is a Rossler and it's a little more rigid in it's shifts. You can get a 2nd gear band on the drum so that it will engage on downshifts otherwise the drum will tend to free spin. Carl offers this as a option in his TH400's for those that intend on street driving them a lot. Most TH400's for race only do not have this band in it. Essentially it allows the drum to spin faster than the input shaft. Then when you accelerate on a down shift the RPM has to climb up to match the drum speed.

Personally we've beaten, stomped, cooked and raped my TH400 in a few different setups and it is still as rock solid as it was the day I bought it. We have seen no signs that the abuse that we've thrown at it has caused any damage to it. Here's another video for your amusement.

http://stenodracing.com/milan/MM/Ste...et_Driving.wmv
Old 09-30-2005, 08:04 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Even though I have seen direct drums explode a couple times I have still managed to pull mine in 2nd by accident during a pass and let off it at 6500+rpm in second (easy to do on the street when things happen pretty quick) and this trans still works 100%. I also 'downshift and nail it' pretty often on the street with no problems, from what I understand as long as you shift to high when the RPM is up there downshifting and flooring it wont hurt anything. Using an off the shelf TCI RMVB TH400 that I have really beat on this year, I'll pull it apart over the winter to look at the clutches and if its OK I'll slap it right back in the car. I have probably 2500 hard street miles and 100 passes on it and it still works like the day I put it in.

I think to have the intermediate band functional it has to be a forward pattern manual valve body if I remember, but someone may be making a rmvb with engine braking. I drive mine all the time, its not a big deal, I can work the shifter with my eyes closed (B&M pro stick). Just loke any other 'race' parts on the street you just have to know their shortcomings and not forget what you are driving.

Last edited by kp; 09-30-2005 at 08:16 PM.
Old 09-30-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Addict

Do you guys run an Ultrabell case?

So as long as you downshift and stay in it, it should be ok? I am just used to lifting off the pedal when I downshift. Thats not the case?
Old 09-30-2005, 09:49 PM
The Bull

Originally Posted by kp
I think to have the intermediate band functional it has to be a forward pattern manual valve body if I remember, but someone may be making a rmvb with engine braking.
That's what the band helps take care of. It will actually engine brake instead of freewheel a bit.

And yes, pay the extra money for the ultrabell. It's well worth it. Just replace the top four bolts on the rear cover to button heads or notch the bell to clear the stock bolts. If you don't, the bellhousing won't fit flush.

I'm moving this to the Automatic Transmission forum.
Old 10-01-2005, 12:50 AM
11 Second Club

I daily drive my RMVB th350 and i LOVE IT!
My tranny guy told me its cool to down shift as long as you a accelerating so it doesn't free wheel.
And he said the only really damaging thing you can do is get on it in first or second into high rpm's and let off with out shifting into third.
Old 10-01-2005, 09:18 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had you same reservations before I put my Rossler t400 rmvb trans in. This thing is sweet. Use a B&M Hammer shifter and a 6 speed console and it looks factory stock. Pull out in first, flick the wrist and you're in second with no harshness at part throttle, etc , etc. Very fun on the street....easy in stop and go traffic. If you can drive a 6 speed, this thing is cake. Rossler sets his up for a transbrake, but you don't have to install it. Reverse works like it should.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Got any pics of the shifter setup???
Old 10-19-2005, 07:23 PM
On The Tree

How much would one of these Rossler TH400's set someone back?
Old 10-19-2005, 09:57 PM
The Bull

You can probably get into a very basic one for 1500, a well built one will be around 3000+ and the baddest ones he builds are about 4200 or so. A quick call to him and you'll find out pretty quick what your needs and price is. He's very good at letting you know about all the options.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DERTY
You can probably get into a very basic one for 1500, a well built one will be around 3000+ and the baddest ones he builds are about 4200 or so. A quick call to him and you'll find out pretty quick what your needs and price is. He's very good at letting you know about all the options.
How can I get in touch with him?

Quick Reply: Th400 RMVB Questions