Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

T56 rattle/jingling

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2005, 03:09 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default T56 rattle/jingling

Probably been addressed before, but I cannot find it. My 2000 has 80K on it's T56 of mostly easy shifting (probably much less power shifting than most on here). There is an annoying metallic rattle/jingling sound coming from the upper trans area only during WOT runs in 2nd & 3rd gear (like pulling onto a crowded highway). The shifter & everything external to the trans is tight/locktighted and secure. Could this be shift forks getting loose/sloppy from normal wear & tear?? What else? BTW I have a Pro 5.0, and I did replace the little plastic/delrin "cup" the bottom of the shifter goes into.Thanks in advance.
Old 11-03-2005, 06:36 AM
On The Tree

Mine does that around 1600~2000 rpm at moderate throttle and above (not cruising, but doesn't have to be anywhere close to WOT). It was enough to cause false knock retard (4* or more) until I turned down the knock sensitivity with HPTuners.

It all started when I had a Spec2 clutch installed with an unbalanced pressure plate. The tranny noise started about an hour later during the gentle drive home. Replacing the pressure plate (which was BADLY out of balance) didn't fix the new noise.

I will probably be rebuilding it this winter, but haven't pulled it yet. I've been driving on it this way for about two years now.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

have you listened closely to make sure its not your throw out bearing?
Old 11-04-2005, 10:09 PM
On The Tree

I'm fairly sure mine isn't the TO bearing. Light pressure on the clutch pedal has no effect at all on the noise up until the clutch actually disengages.
Old 11-07-2005, 11:55 AM
Teching In

For the rattle at 1600-2000rpms check your O2's. There is a metal ring on top of the O2's that rattle right arounf 2000 rpms. This might be the same rattle at WOT. All I did was but some aluminum tape, the stuff you but ar autozone to repair a muffler, and wrapped the ring on the O2.

Nick F.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:25 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by nick f
For the rattle at 1600-2000rpms check your O2's. There is a metal ring on top of the O2's that rattle right arounf 2000 rpms. This might be the same rattle at WOT. All I did was but some aluminum tape, the stuff you but ar autozone to repair a muffler, and wrapped the ring on the O2.

Nick F.
Thanks, that might be a possibility, but the sound does lessen/go away when I put pressure on the shifter during WOT, so I think it's forks/shims/etc. or other internal stuff. I wonder if Synchromesh fluid would quiet it down some??