Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Turbo 454...

Old 09-30-2005, 10:10 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo 454...

I'm looking to build a "mild" turbo 454 to go in my '69 1/2 ton SWB truck. It's getting kind of difficult to figure out what kind of turbo(s) to use though. I'm not sure what would be big enough for a single setup, which I'm leaning towards since I wouldn't have to buy 2 turbos. For a twin setup, though, I believe that two Master Power t61/62 turbos would be sufficient to supply the lb/min needs of that many cubes at around 9-14 psi of boost. The truck is more show/tow than it is go, although I know it will . Just thougt I'd throw this one out there to see if any of the turbo gurus might drop a line in this forum. Otherwise I'd have put it in the F/I forum. Agian, this would be intercooled (air), and have the necessary rotating assembly (duh). Probably have some iron heads and use ~8:1 compression. The main question though is what size turbo(s) would work for this application, single and/or dual?
Old 10-04-2005, 04:36 PM
Teching In

No takers for turbo size(s) starting point??
Old 10-04-2005, 04:59 PM
I ruin the end of films...

You'll need to be towing a trailer to get it to hook!

Depends on what you want out of it power-wise, a pair of 60s would be a tad small. I've only messed w/ a single turbo race BBF and haven't tackled a turbo BBC...yet.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:20 PM
On The Tree

Personally I would stay dual and on the small side considering you will be towing....if you go single I wouldn't go much further then an 88
On a big block of that size it should be pretty tame and spool fairly low in the rpm with the right exhaust housing. I doubt you will get much more response then that because you really haven't given the real details that matter, what kind of RPM? Stock heads? Power goals? Type of cam? transmission? rear gearing? Pictures of hot naked women? Induction style (Carb or injection)? and so on...
Old 10-05-2005, 04:44 PM
Teching In

Sorry for the lack of details, I was more looking for what sizes would feed that many cubes. It'll use a "street" type cam, 232 @ .050 .578 lift and 110* lsa (I refuse to go more!!) It'll have some flat top pistons, netting ~8-8.5:1 compression. RPM air-gap intake, 750 carb (CSU blow thru setup for up to 1000 hp). All aeromotive fuel system... Want it to be just really torquey... Probably 750-ish hp I wouldn't think would be too exotic for a big block. Also intend to keep it under the 6500 rpm area to avoid having to use too much of a valve spring and to keep the off idle response. Heads would likely be AFR "stock replacement" oval ports, I think they're 305 cc intakes or so. No hot naked women, just my MP-t70 single turbo powered S-10 ridin' on the open trailer behind it....
Old 10-05-2005, 05:55 PM
Teching In

coil springs hook fairly well. 67-72 usually only get slowed down on the top end cause of their barn door aerodynamics
Old 10-05-2005, 10:59 PM
Teching In

Yea, not worried much about how aerodynamic it is. Got the coil springs and "factory ladder bars" with a 3"/4" drop, so it'll look mean at least. Any racing it does would mostly be 1/8 mile though since that's what they run around here for money (1/4 mile is TNT mostly). I guess two t60s or 66's would be sufficient w/something like a banks intercooler for the Cummins or somethin.

This video of a '75 has convinced me that aerodynamics are for people that don't have power....

http://members.***.net/bstorment/Brian.wmv

Pt96 turbo on 509cid big block chevy.
Old 10-06-2005, 09:44 AM
TECH Resident

i still think the word mild and turbo 454 dont belong in the same sentence.....
its an oxymoron
Old 10-06-2005, 09:48 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by 3rdgentug
i still think the word mild and turbo 454 dont belong in the same sentence.....
its an oxymoron
Probably true...
Old 10-09-2005, 09:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Damn, thats was a fast *** truck!
Old 10-09-2005, 10:03 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SprayedSDime
Sorry for the lack of details, I was more looking for what sizes would feed that many cubes. It'll use a "street" type cam, 232 @ .050 .578 lift and 110* lsa (I refuse to go more!!) It'll have some flat top pistons, netting ~8-8.5:1 compression. RPM air-gap intake, 750 carb (CSU blow thru setup for up to 1000 hp). All aeromotive fuel system... Want it to be just really torquey... Probably 750-ish hp I wouldn't think would be too exotic for a big block. Also intend to keep it under the 6500 rpm area to avoid having to use too much of a valve spring and to keep the off idle response. Heads would likely be AFR "stock replacement" oval ports, I think they're 305 cc intakes or so. No hot naked women, just my MP-t70 single turbo powered S-10 ridin' on the open trailer behind it....
seems like you have a pretty good combo going together, but I want to comment on the heads first. Definitely go with the AFR 305's but they are rectangle port, trust me when I say that you wont see the so-called loss in velocity...option for the CNC chamber to increase the low-lift numbers to work better with your cam. They also have an exhaust valve upgrade to pick up the flow numbers even further....after all that is what leads to your end power results. I agree that on the two smaller turbos, the t60's should work VERY well, low end response should have low or ZERO noticable lag. I doubt the 66's would show much benefit anywhere but the upper RPM and might be a little less responsive down low which would pose a pretty big problem when towing. I can understand and want to re-enforce the camshaft choice except for the LSA, get into more of a turbo grind that will be keyed towards low-end response. Good luck, Uber.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Turbo 454...