Northwest Members WA, OR, ID, MT, WY, SD, ND

What would casue 1st to pop out into neutral?

Old 09-30-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What would casue 1st to pop out into neutral?

Every once in a while 1st will pop out into neutral. While at a light or stop sign, I'll be waiting in first to go and then the light turns green. So I let off the clutch and pop out comes first into neutral. When It does that I have to put it in and out of first till it goes forward. I have been just putting it in second so I don't hold up traffic. I have never heard of that happening and have no idea what would cause it. It only happens to first gear and only some times, but now I freak out every time I'm at a stop and in first waiting to go................The car drives great other wise.

That's exactly what happened right before I broke my rear end at Bremerton a while back. I was in first and staged, when the lights came down I let off the clutch and first poped out into neutral. My oponent was already 1/4 the way down the track as I crammed it into first and let off the clutch for a second time..........And POP the rear end broke.

Has anyone ever heard of this happening?????
Old 09-30-2005, 11:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

This has happened to me on 3 occasions. Each time it felt like I had just not quite put it all the way into gear, so the system just kicked it clear. I just put it back in, making sure it goes completely and have no further issue. This hasn't happened at the track, but I'm usually **** about making sure it's fully engaged when I'm getting ready to launch.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Crisisman
This has happened to me on 3 occasions. Each time it felt like I had just not quite put it all the way into gear, so the system just kicked it clear. I just put it back in, making sure it goes completely and have no further issue. This hasn't happened at the track, but I'm usually **** about making sure it's fully engaged when I'm getting ready to launch.
Yeah.........That's kinda what it feels like to me as well. But it has happened about 15 times in 2 days of driving. I have been driving my car alot cause I'm trying to break in my rear end. Did your car make a pop sound as it spit out of first?

And do you think that a bent shift fork would only affect first gear?
Old 09-30-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The sound it makes I would describe as a "click" more than a "pop". As for your second question, I haven't a clue, no tranny experience here. Perhaps Ellis can pipe in on that one.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:47 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well if you didn't have it all the way in = no problem. If you DID have it all the way in = problem. They shouldn't pop into neutral under any circumstance if they were fully engaged to begin with.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Racehead
Well if you didn't have it all the way in = no problem. If you DID have it all the way in = problem. They shouldn't pop into neutral under any circumstance if they were fully engaged to begin with.
If it was fully engaged and poped out but only some times what would you say could/would cause that?

It feels (sometimes) like it don't smoothly want to go into first, other times it does and still pops out.
Old 09-30-2005, 11:58 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00Vette
If it was fully engaged and poped out but only some times what would you say could/would cause that?

It feels (sometimes) like it don't smoothly want to go into first, other times it does and still pops out.
I'm going to have to refer you to Ellis. I work on Allison's, Spicers, Rockwells, Meritor autoshifts etc. on Semi's, not T56's. If I were to guess then I'd say you have some sort of shift rail/fork problem. I'm sure Ellis will chime in at some point.
Old 10-01-2005, 10:19 AM
10 Second Club

I had an old Borg Warner T10 that did this & it was poorly adjusted shift linkage. (I ended up grenading the tranny) Not to say it isn't a bent shift fork inside, which would yield the same result. Time to let Ellis have a look at it.....

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: What would casue 1st to pop out into neutral?