Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Do You Need A New Flywheel With A New Clutch??

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2005, 11:26 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do You Need A New Flywheel With A New Clutch??

I am about to buy a clutch, but I am not sure if I need to spend the money on a flywheel also. I found a LUK online for $450 with all clutch things and a flywheel. But on Ebay there is a SPEC stage 1 for $290, just the clutch and everything that goes with it. Do I need to buy a flywheel with a new clutch system? And do I have to buy a new master slave cylinder? Any help is appreciated, thanks!
Old 10-01-2005, 11:28 AM
Teching In

You can have yours machined...
Old 10-01-2005, 12:21 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by 01ls1
You can have yours machined...
Yes you can have it machined but you will spend as much money in machining and balancing as you would getting a new GM piece.

If you get it turned dont forget to have it balanced. You will shake like a dog $hitting razer blades if you dont. Good luck, Tom
Old 10-01-2005, 05:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Torkman15
Yes you can have it machined but you will spend as much money in machining and balancing as you would getting a new GM piece.
That is not true. Most machine shops will take care of your flywheel for $40-$50.

You do not need to replace your flywheel when you use a new clutch. You have a '99 car, it would not hurt to buy a new master and slave cylinder (replacing one without the other is futile unless one of them has gone bad for sure). I have an '00 car and after a while I could no longer shift into 2nd gear at wide open throttle because of failing hydraulics...needless to say when I went for the stage 2 I bought a new master & slave.
Old 10-01-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torkman15

If you get it turned dont forget to have it balanced. You will shake like a dog $hitting razer blades if you dont. Good luck, Tom
Where do you get your machine work done? I have never paid more than $32 to have one resurfaced. Balanced? Not required nor necesssary..
Old 10-01-2005, 08:56 PM
10 Second Moderator

Originally Posted by badazz81z28
Where do you get your machine work done? I have never paid more than $32 to have one resurfaced. Balanced? Not required nor necesssary..
Should not matter where I get my machine work done. I'm speaking from experience after I had a flywheel turned and my motor had a bad vibration after turning without balancing. Do a search on this I'm sure I'm not the only one who had this problem.

I bought the flywheel (new GM piece) from SLP for $50.00 but it was a sale price so you might not get your new one for less than what you can turn yours for.

Do a search, get more info on these clutches and hydraulics and you wont be sorry. Good luck, Tom