Appearance & Detailing - Inside painting

View Full Version : Inside painting

2K2WS6TA
10-01-2005, 05:46 PM
Well I picked up some gloss black paint, to paint some of the interior plastic pieces. After getting home I realised I had no clue on how to prep the plastic :confused:
So how do I prep it, I assume clean with alcohol (get the nxt off) then sand smooth (what grit(s) to use for that? )
Do I need to prime? I got paint specifically for plastic
Help a fellow fbody owner out will ya :)

foshizl
10-01-2005, 06:06 PM
For the best finish i would say get all the stuff off (NXT etc) scuff it up with either a scotch brite pad or something similar... then at this point you could probably just paint it.. but personally i would get a primer made for plastic and spary them with that first.. just my .02

shep28
10-02-2005, 03:48 PM
Go here and do a search. You will find what you need-

http://www.autobody101.com/forums/

best paint how to site out there

NYC FRANK
10-03-2005, 08:51 PM
Well I picked up some gloss black paint, to paint some of the interior plastic pieces. After getting home I realised I had no clue on how to prep the plastic :confused:
So how do I prep it, I assume clean with alcohol (get the nxt off) then sand smooth (what grit(s) to use for that? )
Do I need to prime? I got paint specifically for plastic
Help a fellow fbody owner out will ya :)
If you bought the New Krylon Interior Paint just Scotch Brite and clean with alcohol and paint. It's good Stuff,That's what I did

Z28-CTYHNTR
10-03-2005, 09:51 PM
If you bought the New Krylon Interior Paint just Scotch Brite and clean with alcohol and paint. It's good Stuff,That's what I did

Even though I dont generally like painted interiors, thats pretty decent, the only thing I dont like is the Harley floormats. IMO you should get some nice Camaro embroidered mats and then youd be good. :)

Schwindj
10-03-2005, 10:27 PM
Even though I dont generally like painted interiors, thats pretty decent, the only thing I dont like is the Harley floormats. IMO you should get some nice Camaro embroidered mats and then youd be good. :)
:werd:
James

CONVERTED
10-03-2005, 11:28 PM
use some harsh cleaners to get that out... like simple green or that orange stuff. that way all the oils are out... then scotch brite pad add one or 2 coats primer then your base coat.

howierd42
10-04-2005, 12:07 AM
I washed mine with dawn and wet sanded them smoothe with 200 grit, primered the pieces and then painted them with about 3 coats. Took about a weekend to get it just perfect but it looks like a million bucks now and well worth the effort imo.

NYC FRANK
10-06-2005, 06:10 PM
LOL ! I know they gotta Go. My old lady bought them for me X-mas last year and I had to put E'm In. I do want to get some Nice Embriodered Mats. Black with red piping and a bowtie in the center.

Z28-CTYHNTR
10-06-2005, 06:59 PM
I washed mine with dawn and wet sanded them smoothe with 200 grit, primered the pieces and then painted them with about 3 coats. Took about a weekend to get it just perfect but it looks like a million bucks now and well worth the effort imo.

Got any pics of the results man?