Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil coming out of the exhaust tips?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2005, 06:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default oil coming out of the exhaust tips?

Hey guys, a buddie of mine just bought a head,cam,blower car from a guy on here. We went and picked it up Friday. The car is supposed to have a forged bottom end also. The car was throwing several codes, misfiring in the cylinders,egr, rear 02 codes and something for the air.Not sure what else but anyway the car drove fine and all so he knocked some money off the price off the car and we brought it home. We get it home and he was driving it today and said it kinda back fired a little. When he got it home there was oil dripping out of the tailpipes. What the hell could it be? I hope it didnt blow up. Thanks for the help. Charles
Old 10-02-2005, 06:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

could be something as simple as a valve stem seal. but it has to be a considerable amount of oil because it should just be burrning in the exhaust.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

i hope it is something simple. he just bought the car and the motor is still breaking in.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

could also just be condensation from the exhaust mixing with the carbon in the pipes. Are you 100% sure it's oil? Alot of times its just carboned up water. Oil will usually smoke like hell in addition to the oil on the tailpipe. Just food for thought.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:22 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If it has heads who ever installed them may have not put teflon tape/paste on the rocker arm bolts that go through the intake side.
Old 10-02-2005, 07:36 PM
On The Tree

Unhappy

Originally Posted by silverbeast
Hey guys, a buddie of mine just bought a head,cam,blower car from a guy on here. We went and picked it up Friday. The car is supposed to have a forged bottom end also. The car was throwing several codes, misfiring in the cylinders,egr, rear 02 codes and something for the air.Not sure what else but anyway the car drove fine and all so he knocked some money off the price off the car and we brought it home. We get it home and he was driving it today and said it kinda back fired a little. When he got it home there was oil dripping out of the tailpipes. What the hell could it be? I hope it didnt blow up. Thanks for the help. Charles
I hope he didn't get ripped off. That really sucks. Keep us posted
Old 10-02-2005, 08:22 PM
TECH Regular

im one of this guys buddies that went to pic up the car....well i just left his house and this is not condensation and no drips....freakin oil is pouring out of the tailpipes, and every slip fit on the exhaust is leaking considerable amounts of oil... something is definately not right...that should help you guys out a little better...
Old 10-02-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

oh by the way...it smokes so much it looks like the rear of the car is on fire!!!
Old 10-02-2005, 08:32 PM
On The Tree

Just some quick food for thought if the exhaust system is new, their is a grease/oil that goes inside the tube for when they mandrel bend it. Also if its leaking from the slip joints then that slip join needs to be tightened becuase there is an exhaust leak there. With the amount of oil that you say is in the system it seems to me that the car should of used a fair bit of oil by now, what does the dipstick show? I would take the exhaust system off from what I assume are headers and not the stock exhaust and see how much oil/smoke comes out of them.
Old 10-02-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

might have some bad valve seals. if i remember correctly i seen a car that was burrning oil and it was due to this. that is a lot of oil.

might have a bad set of heads period
Old 10-02-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

We installed new Patriot heads, car started blowing oil, (16000 mi. on car) valve seals were teflon (white in color), Patriot sent us new GM replacements, we installed them, no more smoke. Check your valve stem seals.
Old 10-02-2005, 11:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I hope he didnt get fucked also. but it dosent look good. the heads are MTI btw. i hope it turns out to be something easy to fix.
Old 10-03-2005, 12:41 PM
TECH Regular

My buddy had the same issue when he through a blower on his car. Ended up being his rings.
Old 10-03-2005, 03:50 PM
On The Tree

Whats up guys? Thanks for trying to figure out what is going wrong with the car. I'm planning on taking it down to Jeff Creech this week or next hopefully and having him seeing what is wrong with the engine. The engine has MTI 2E heads, C1 Hammercam, P1SC on the 7-8 lbs. pulley, weisco pistons, and has been bored to a 347. Maybe this can help you guys out a little bit. I'm planning on swapping the heads out for some 6.0L heads and putting a decent blower cam in it. I guess I'll have to see what is wrong with it first though. Thanks for your insight guys and I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-03-2005, 05:44 PM
On The Tree

Smile

If I'm not mistaken, If your valve seals are shot It will smoke real bad on start up(oil from heads draining into cyl.) Then the smoke will lighten up a bit . I'm not too sure how much oil in LS1 top end there is but in Traditional Chevy 350's that's what I 've seen. Could be A Deck problem or the Rings ? I Wish You Luck.
Old 10-03-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My guess is the number 7 cylinder land ring is busted! Or, the rings are shot. Either way it's time to tear down the motor.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Do a leakdown and compression test, but I think you need to disconnect the blower on a FI setup. Least that would tell you if the rings are ok.
Old 10-03-2005, 10:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kossuth
could also just be condensation from the exhaust mixing with the carbon in the pipes. Are you 100% sure it's oil? Alot of times its just carboned up water. Oil will usually smoke like hell in addition to the oil on the tailpipe. Just food for thought.
Exactly what I was thinking....happens all the time, a little crap in the tailpipes from just normal carbon or maybe running rich occasionally and then the condensation drips out of the tips BLACK and it looks like oil.....would personally do the good 'ol finger test (LOL) and see if it is slippery or evaporates slightly on your hand. I would personally go there first before I dropped coin on anything else. Just my .02
Old 10-04-2005, 01:15 AM
TECH Regular

again i am 100% this is oil....it is literally pouring from the exhaust...no little condensation and ****...this **** will literally spew from the tailpipes
Old 10-04-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

are you losing oil in teh crankcase?

i would do a leak down test and see whats up.

Quick Reply: oil coming out of the exhaust tips?