Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

GTO more prone to heat soak,TR55 ot TR6?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 11:08 AM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default GTO more prone to heat soak,TR55 ot TR6?

I was thinking maybe the GTO could use a slightly colder plug even for NA applications being there notorious for heat soak...I'm playing around with my IAT this week as I'm trying to move it to a cooler place and insulate the CAI box alittle better as to keep the IAT's from shooting up to quickly under stop and go traffic.It drops very quickly once moving but when your driving to a light and stopped it shoots up quickly..

I thought a colder plug might help too?
Old 10-04-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IM not sure if plugs will make a differance of the motor heat soaking i have been playing with the ideal of relocating the iat on a 05 but it has an zos maf i have a ls1 harness for it we will have to see if it works i will keep u updated
Old 10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JS, FYI I've called NGK and spoken to their techs a couple times over the years and they were very helpful in recommending plugs & gaps for given applications
Old 10-04-2005, 12:55 PM
JS
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I realize temp is temp,even if u trick it its still hot but if I can get the air temp to read lower and get the box to cooler quicker by insulating it then the plugs might help.I'm not seeing heavy KR anyway 1 degree but it drops quickly as the rpm goes up..

I'm willing to bet its false KR....
Old 10-04-2005, 02:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JS
I realize temp is temp,even if u trick it its still hot but if I can get the air temp to read lower and get the box to cooler quicker by insulating it then the plugs might help.I'm not seeing heavy KR anyway 1 degree but it drops quickly as the rpm goes up..

I'm willing to bet its false KR....
its B/C the GTO is a well designed newer car and the underhood area is sealed better than the old f-bods. Beemers have the same problem and the air boxes for them are almost always isolated and insulated.