Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump issue

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Oil pump issue

Alright, so I have this new block here just waiting to be installed and run.

I get the timing set on, and I install my new LS6 ported oil pump. No names yet....waiting to see if I can resolve this. The pump is brand new. I get it lined up and I get the 4 bolts in. I then line up the pick-up tube, and hand thread the bolt in.

This is where the problem is....
I set the torque wrench to 106 in/pounds, and start to wrench away. I wrench, and wrench, and wrench some more. Never torqued down. I back the bolt out, and there it is. The threads are on the bolt.
The company that currently has my $ and my oil pump tells me the pumps don't have helicoils in them, and that this is my fault. I fucked it up.
He told me that I would have had some resistance when installing the bolt....which I did not have. I hand tightened most of the way....then got the torque wrench on it. I doubled checked the torque setting to make sure.

What should I do at this point??? From what the manufacturer is telling me...I did something wrong. But there is no way I striped the threads out. The bolt NEVER had any resistance.
They basicly are telling me I need to get a new pump. I checked prices on helicoil kits, and they aren't cheap. I would rather not do that based on the principal of this. I can't see spending more money on this pump I already overpayed for.
Any ideas?? Continue to bitch at the shop?? Am I out the cash??
Kinda shitty thing to have from a shop I have spent plenty of money at.
Old 10-04-2005, 04:16 PM
On The Tree

First off,

which bolt?

second just install helicoil, it should be no more than $15.00 and the helicoil is stronger that the stock alum. threads.

the good news is that this happened and you found it before the engine was buttoned up.

More Than Zero
Old 10-04-2005, 04:21 PM
11 Second Club

There is a single bolt that holds the oil pick-up tube to the oil pump. They are claiming it doesn't have a helicoil in there....something came out in perfect order around the bolt. The weird part is....that bolt never had any resistance to thread in. I would think it would if I stripped it out.

It is kinda starting to sound like the shop is going to try to charge me to ship it back out here.

Install helicoil?? How tough is that? I have seen kits for $35 at a small local hardware store. But those come with a bunch of helicoils.
Old 10-04-2005, 05:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah, if you dont have the install tool, you'll have to buy the kit. The helicoils are cheap themselves. Autozone has the M6x1mm for like $7 IIRC (four coils). The kits is like $15-$20. You basically drill out the hole and tap the hole with the tools/bits supplied in the kit.

Not to sound like an ***, but you did make sure you were tightening the bolt at 106 inch pounds and not 106 ft pounds right? I've done that before, read the spec wrong and stripped theads in a hole. The joys of working real late
Old 10-04-2005, 05:22 PM
Banned

I would bitch at them to get my Money and Old pump back. If there was no resistance from the bolt than the threads were either previously over-torqued, or it was a poor helicoil. You COULD do a helicoil on it, but if that's what just came out of your new pump, I don't think I'd be too enthused to put -another- one back in. You wouldn't happen to have any pictures of the bolt or the pump, would you?
Old 10-04-2005, 05:40 PM
11 Second Club

Pump isn't here anymore. The shop has it. On top of that, my digital camera sucks, so you wouldn't be able to see it in the pics anyways.

The shop claims there aren't even helicoils in the pump. Then what the hell came out on the bolt????

I made sure the torque wrench was set to in/pounds. The bolt spun very easily.
Old 10-05-2005, 06:12 PM
11 Second Club

Well....to add insult to injury....the are wanting to charge me to have it shipped back to me.
*******. What kinda customer service is this???
Old 10-05-2005, 07:03 PM
Launching!

Question

Originally Posted by Mr. Luos
Well....to add insult to injury....the are wanting to charge me to have it shipped back to me.
*******. What kinda customer service is this???
Who is it ?
Old 10-05-2005, 07:21 PM
11 Second Club

I have a thread in the sponsor feedback forum. I wanted to keep it outta here.
Old 10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Staging Lane

hello

106in/pounds, i think thats about 11Nm. my opinion is thats too much torque for that little bolt. my experience with them has been a max of 6Nm, i dont even use a torque wrench for them just tighten it with a t-wrench by hand. just enough so that it does not fall off. they dont require to be that tight. and keep in mind that when you are using a torque wrench with any bolt, dont keep tightening until you hear the click, you should have a feel for whats going on with the bolt. if it was a cylinder hear bolt and you kept on going expecting to hear a click and the bolt may be overstrecthed and break off , one part staying inside the block, then you would have to get that out etc...etc.. so what i am saying is try to have a feel for what going on with the bolt, and life will be easier. the threads that you saw coming out on the bolt are the threads originally on the pump. they are aluminum alloy, whereas helicoil threads are not. if it was the helicoil coming out it would usually be in one piece, but i am sure the threads you saw coming out with the bolt are brittle and falls off the bolt easily.

hope this helps
Old 10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JMX
Once it's in, apply Loctite to the old pickup tube bolt and re-install it. The torque specs are about 9 lb/ft, so just tighten it with a small wrench so it's snug but don't go crazy on it, as it's a really small bolt and the threads will strip out with too much force.
There is absolutely no need to trq that bolt.
IMO the shop could refuse to exchange for free.
Just helicoil it, it will be easier than shipping back and forth. Plus you'll learn to helicoil.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:30 PM
11 Second Club

Specs are to torque to 106 in/pounds. I was following spec.

Besides that....it never came close to getting to even that torque level. It spun, and spun very easily.

They aren't replacing the pump. I am getting dicked outta shipping both ways and the $175 for the pump.

Already ordered a new one. From someone else.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:46 PM
Staging Lane

sorry to hear about that. just a reminder even when following OEM specs, BECAREFUL. hope the new pump works out fine.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:11 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

YES...these bolts should be torqued.....106in/lbs. This is what GM recommends. All bolts should be torqued to spec.....

Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 06:18 PM
11 Second Club

Keep in mind that I never came close to hitting 106 in/pounds.

The bolt just spun and spun and spun. Never once had any resistance. I am not that strong.