Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Popped a speaker

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2005, 07:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popped a speaker

I think I blew a speaker in the driver side door. It's fuzzy and pops when the bass hits. I am stereo illiterate and did a search and cant really make heads or tails about what I read.

I would like to know what would be a decent replacement, something that will sound good, and last. I'm not looking to spend lots of money on this just buy a pair of speakers, toss em in and call it good.

Thanks in advance for helping out a newb in this department.
Old 10-04-2005, 07:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same problem with my drivers side door, I took the speaker out and saw that it had some water damage and a creased cone, def toast. I went to best buy and picked up a pair of Pioneer 6 3/4" 4 way speakers for about 60 bucks. They sound 10x than stock and bolted right in.
Old 10-05-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the help I geuss I'll go look for a 6 3/4 4 way speaker. I read about ohms anything I should look at there 2 ohms 4 ohms?
Old 10-05-2005, 05:43 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You'll have to check what you have in the front now, my buddy with a 99 Camaro had a really weird stock stereo. There were dual voice coil speakers in the doors and single voice coil speakers in the sails. usually its the other way around! if its dual voice coil in the doors you will probably be best off to just run new speaker cable. Just take a look if there are 4 wires going to your speakers they are dual voice coils. If it is just two you are fine just buy some new speakers and hook em up. Look for 2 ohm speakers.

These are the ones I got except 6 3/4"

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099388425882

I got them on sale at the time, also if you get them at best buy and they look up your car in the computer they will tell you they are 6 1/2" I brought my stockers in the store w. me and they were 6 3/4" exactly 6 1/2"s wouldnt quite fit right
Old 10-06-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Luna
You'll have to check what you have in the front now, my buddy with a 99 Camaro had a really weird stock stereo. There were dual voice coil speakers in the doors and single voice coil speakers in the sails. usually its the other way around! if its dual voice coil in the doors you will probably be best off to just run new speaker cable. Just take a look if there are 4 wires going to your speakers they are dual voice coils. If it is just two you are fine just buy some new speakers and hook em up. Look for 2 ohm speakers.

These are the ones I got except 6 3/4"

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage....=1099388425882

I got them on sale at the time, also if you get them at best buy and they look up your car in the computer they will tell you they are 6 1/2" I brought my stockers in the store w. me and they were 6 3/4" exactly 6 1/2"s wouldnt quite fit right
The door speakers are not dual voice coil. They are wired as components. The tweeters are wired directly to the head unit, the woofers are driven by the Monsoon amplifier. The sail panel speakers have no tweeter. The 4 woofers (2 door/2 sail) are 2 ohm. The tweeters and the 4 in. mids in the rear hatch area are 4 ohm.

Read the stickies in the front. I just finished installing the Alpines that are recommended in the FAQ. They are definitely an improvement.

If your interested in 2 ohm speakers, I like the Image Dynamics CXS62 components. I plan to order a pair for the sail panels in a month or two. My stock speakers are still good for the time being.