Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Small, Big, Long, Short Blocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Small, Big, Long, Short Blocks

Hey, this may seem like a really elementary question here, but i have been wondering it for a while. what is the difference between a long block and a short block? and what is the difference between a small block and a big block? at first i thought it was just numerical, but i read somewhere that they new LS7 is a 427 and they consider that a small block. so, can anyone tell me the difference? Thanks
Old 10-05-2005, 01:29 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Difference between long and short block is typically found when bulding or purchasing an engine. A "short" block is just the block with the rotating assembly installed, no heads, manifold, cam, etc. A "long" block is a short block with the heads installed. Now a "crate" engine is basically a full ready, turn-key engine. Just put it in the car and go.

Small blocks and Big blocks are difference in actually dimension of the block. The traditional 1st generation SBC remained relatively unchanged from 1955 to the late 80s. The small block ranged from 265 cubic inches to 400 stock. A big block is physically larger, with more bore spacing and a taller deck height. Big blocks ranged from 396 to 454.

As far as any Generation III motor being considered a small block, they are both right and wrong. The Gen III is a complete redesign of the SBC. It does incoporate a few of the basic design elements and does trace its lineage to the SBC.

Quick Reply: Small, Big, Long, Short Blocks