Automatic Transmission 2-Speed thru 10-Speed GM Autos | Converters | Shift Kits
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does a Yank SS3200, with 3.15 gears, feel looser than stock?

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2005, 04:56 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does a Yank SS3200, with 3.15 gears, feel looser than stock?

Title says it. Yank says the converter was designed for 3.15 gears. Does it feel any different than a stock converter in gentle driving? Would I be able to tell the car had a different converter in gentle driving? I know the SS series is much tighter than the big converters, but how different is it from a stock converter in everyday (normal ) driving, especially with 3.15 gears?
BTW, I have a heads and cam car (mild cam-good low end torque).
Thanks!
Ed
Old 10-05-2005, 06:15 PM
12 Second Club

I have an SS series converter, and yes, it will feel a little looser, but much tighter than any other converter.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:37 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Default Yank

I got a SS3200 with 3.23s and it really doesn't feel much looser then stock. I noticed it the first day but after that I didn't notice any more. It's a sweet converter.

Sometimes I wish I went with the SS3600, but when the car is begging for traction I'm glad I only went with a 3200.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:41 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Bad Blu Formula
I have an SS series converter, and yes, it will feel a little looser, but much tighter than any other converter.

Is yours an SS3200 or SS3600? Thanks!
Ed
Old 10-06-2005, 02:58 PM
12 Second Club

Well actually mine is the SS3800 which i got about 2 years ago. They don't make it anymore, but its most like the SS3600.
Old 10-06-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

It will feel a little bit looser than stock, but nothing even close to annoying, and once you reach lockup speeds (40mph ish) it will feel like stock once it's locked up
Old 10-06-2005, 03:42 PM
TECH Resident

I installed a SS3800 a few months ago, and if you get a tune to adjust the lockup points, it will be really nice in traffic. Without the adjustments, with the converter unlocked in traffic, it can get a little irritating, but once I had it tuned to lock up a little lower, I was very happy. I would bet you that you would like it a little more with a revised tune
Old 10-07-2005, 07:48 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by radz282003
I installed a SS3800 a few months ago, and if you get a tune to adjust the lockup points, it will be really nice in traffic. Without the adjustments, with the converter unlocked in traffic, it can get a little irritating, but once I had it tuned to lock up a little lower, I was very happy. I would bet you that you would like it a little more with a revised tune
I had driven a 2001 C5 with 3.42s and a PT2400. It felt just like stock until you punched it, and I liked that. I also went for a ride in a Z28 with 3.23s and a TCI 3500 converter. I didn't like that at all...very, very loose. I've been told that the SS series is very different (much, much tighter than other same-stall-rated converters), and the SS3200, in particular, should feel really good with my 3.15 gears. I'm assuming it'll feel similar to a Z or TA with 3.23s and an SS3200 and should have posted that way. I really don't want to drive around with a loose converter. I need to find someone with my same sensitivity to looseness and get their opinion.....lol. Thanks for the thoughts and opinions and please keep them coming. I really appreciate the info.
Ed
Old 10-07-2005, 08:36 AM
Pontiacerator

Received 194 Likes on 163 Posts

The SS3200 sounds like a good choice for you. I'm a little skeptical of the claims that Yank's "exclusive 21 blade stator" is going to result in a convertor that is "much, much, tighter" than that of other manufacturers with the same stall speed. I'm sure it's somewhat better, but any high stall converter is going to function on the same physical properties: increased slippage to a higher rpm point. A lot of guys say that after a week their converter feels like stock to them. I have had a mild TCI 3000/2.2 with 3.42's in my car for 8 months and I still notice it every day - which btw, would be another excellent choice for you. I'm definitely in the "sensitive to looseness" crowd.
Old 10-08-2005, 11:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RevGTO
The SS3200 sounds like a good choice for you. I'm a little skeptical of the claims that Yank's "exclusive 21 blade stator" is going to result in a convertor that is "much, much, tighter" than that of other manufacturers with the same stall speed. I'm sure it's somewhat better, but any high stall converter is going to function on the same physical properties: increased slippage to a higher rpm point. A lot of guys say that after a week their converter feels like stock to them. I have had a mild TCI 3000/2.2 with 3.42's in my car for 8 months and I still notice it every day - which btw, would be another excellent choice for you. I'm definitely in the "sensitive to looseness" crowd.
I'm having a difficult time making up my mind. I hate to spring for the Yank SS3200 without going for a ride in one first. The advantage over the ProTorque, as I see it, if the Yank is indeed pretty tight, is excellent low speed drivability in conjunction with a hit at higher speeds when going into passing gear. I don't believe the Protorque 2400 would give me anything more after leaving the line, but am not sure. I had also debated installing a 3.42 axle, but that is only about 8% lower than the 3.15 I have now. I'm not sure it would be worth it. Also, my 1-2 shift point has been raised to 6200rpm and the 2-3 to 6400 rpm. That gives me a hard run to over 95mph in second gear. I like that lot and going to deeper gears would take much of that away.
I wish i had posted this for 3.23 gears instaed of 3.15s, because I think the vehicle response characteristics would be nearly identical. Thanks for any more feedback. I really appreciate it!
Ed

Quick Reply: Does a Yank SS3200, with 3.15 gears, feel looser than stock?