Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

12 Disc Changer Woes

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2005, 08:25 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 12 Disc Changer Woes

So I can now say from experience that "Grease Lightning" does not make a good CD cleaner, lubricant, or air freshener.

Bottle exploded in the back of the car on the way home from the grocery store, and poured all over the top of, and into my 12 disc changer.

I pulled the changer apart, got the CD's out but only found one small circuit board that appeared to have gotten any fluid on it.

It's a small board under a plastic shield on the left side of the player. Sits under the 12 disc magazine, has some clear plastic electronic component with a yellow and black wire running to it. looks like it might be a IR diode, LED or something. Anyone have any clues?

BTW, it's an AC Delco Monsoon 12 Disc Changer. Manufactured in 1995, origionally came in a LT1, but works the same in my 2000 TA.

With further research I've found out:
It's a 16199553 12 Disc Changer
Model #CDX-M12zg
Part #12495743

But I still can't find any exploded views.

Last edited by Ouija; 10-06-2005 at 09:57 AM.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've never had a reason to take my changer apart.

Greased Lightning is a great cleaner, but somewhat corrosive. Especially undiluted. I unintentionally took the painted bowties off the center caps on my 2001 ss with the stuff. I can only imagine the havoc it could wreak if spilled on circuitry.
Old 10-06-2005, 01:00 PM
12 Second Club

At lunch time I went home and took the disassembled unit out to the car and plugged it back in.

Snapped the power supply in, and put the front face on it.

Put the Disc magazine in it and it loaded all the CD's just fine.

Turned the car on, and it read that the CD player existed. The controls change discs, starts them up, just no audio comes out.

The head unit CD player works fine, and the Radio puts out audio.

Is there something y'all can think of that I'm missing?

Did I fry whatever puts out the pre-amp signal?

I guess I'll put the changer into the other TA tonight and see if I get the same no-audio problem.
Old 10-06-2005, 10:28 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Double check the connections. If nothing is loose, then I'd say it's probably toast. It might be repairable, if you could find schematics for it.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:20 AM
12 Second Club

Well I popped the changer into the 01 last night, and the exact same problems ocurred.

The Discs load, the head unit recognises the CDs allows you to press play, change tracks, change CDs does everything. It even knows the right number of tracks on the CDs, just doesn't put out audio.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:52 PM
12 Second Club

Well at lunch today I looked over the circuitry again and found one ribbon connector that had corrosion on it. There is a little ribbon cable that goes from one card to another right above the CD magazine on the left side. Pulled the ribbon out of the connector and cleaned it up with some electronic component cleaner. Reassembled the unit and viola. It works. Apparently one drop of grease lightening got onto that cable then ran into the connector and corroded it.
Old 10-07-2005, 06:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Kewl. Glad it worked out for you.

Quick Reply: 12 Disc Changer Woes