Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Synthetic tranny fluid cause throw out bering to be noisy?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Synthetic tranny fluid cause throw out bering to be noisy?

Last weekend I did a drain/fill on my 6spd corvette tranny with Royal Purple Syncormax. This is the first time that I've used a synthetic tranny fluid. Now it sounds like the throw out bearing is making alot of noise. I'm not really sure if its the throw out bearing. It makes a metal on metal noise that occurs when the car is in neutral and when the car is in gear with the clutch in or out. It is noticeable during deseleration but, not during acceleration. Do you think the noise is related to the synthetic fluid?
Old 10-08-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you have an early T56 <01 (or is it 00) you might have to rebuild. THere are some paper/plastic pieces that dont like synthetics. Do a search synthetic and ATF you will find better explanations.

D
Old 10-08-2005, 08:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Synthetic tranny fluid has nothing to do with the TO bearing.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:36 PM
Teching In

What do you think is causing the loud rattling noise?
Old 10-09-2005, 10:18 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the replies. The main reason I thought it might be the tranny fluid is that it is the only thing that I've changed. The noise has me concerned. It sounds like something is broken or going to break. Should I just ignore it or get a shop to take a look at it? I would hate to spend big $$ on something that can't be resolved. Next weekend I may put the OEM tranny fluid back in and see if it improves the noise. It could be a coincidence but, I need to rule it out before I waste time and money at a shop. What do you guys think?
Old 10-09-2005, 11:00 AM
UNDER PRESSURE MOD

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman_K
Thanks for the replies. The main reason I thought it might be the tranny fluid is that it is the only thing that I've changed. The noise has me concerned. It sounds like something is broken or going to break. Should I just ignore it or get a shop to take a look at it? I would hate to spend big $$ on something that can't be resolved. Next weekend I may put the OEM tranny fluid back in and see if it improves the noise. It could be a coincidence but, I need to rule it out before I waste time and money at a shop. What do you guys think?
It can't hurt to switch back.... it's a couple bucks and an hour of labor. At least that will put your mind at ease of what it could be.
Old 10-09-2005, 12:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://www.ls2.com/forums/showthread...threadid=13161
Old 10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the thread. It sounds like it should have been ok to use the Royal Purple but, something is definitely wrong based upon the noise it is making. I'm nervous about driving it at this point. When I get back in town this weekend I'm going to try a drain/fill with plain old Dex III. If that doesn't cure it then who would you guys recommend in Houston to take a look at it? Thanks.