Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

time for a stall??

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 12:28 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default time for a stall??

Well my mods have been put off for far too long now.. I am more than ready for my next one.. just torn between which to do first.. 150 shot of N2O.. or a converter.. I would have to upgrade the fuel pump for the N2O.. and I would have to add a cooler for the converter.. Dont get me wrong, I will end up with both before summer rolls back around.. I have no intentions of making a 1/4 mile monster as I have no track in a resonable distance.. we do have a 1/8 mile track about an hour away that I go to once in a blue moon.. 99% of my cars abuse happens on the street.. My intentions are to add LT's, ory, Nitto DR's, 3000ish converter, 150 shot, a "decent" size cam (unsure), and a couple suspension mods.. At that point I will just replace stuff as it breaks.. (tranny, rear).. I have read that N2O is good with a "tight" setup.. so if I get a converter is gonna be a tighter one I guess.. but which one should I look at getting first.. I know the majority of you all might say converter since you all probably have one, but just think about my goals and answer honestly.. both is going to cost around the same amount.. im just torn

Car: 98 T/A A4 2:73's

Mods: Lid, K&N, Magnaflow c/b, 160* stat, !cats!, !egr!, !air!, free mods including throttle stop, descreened maf, f.r.a.m., also a little tuning done, the guy said this is what he did..

I turned off your rear O2s, EGR, and AIR. Set the fans for 160 t-stat. Turned off Tq Management and firmed up the shifts. I also turned off COT (cat overtemp) since you are not running cats. I also leaned out your WOT fueling 2% which should be safe without knowing what the actual A/F ratio is with a wide band.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just went through this same dilemma...so i can give you my two cents... The way i made my decision is this....N2O is great...but i will only use it at the track..or in a planned big street race...traction issues..and due to the cost of bottle filling and etc... a stall on the other hand will provide you with a HUGE performance gain..at all times...furthermore when you do add N2O it will be much more efficient with a good convertor......one more thing....A great convertor switch will damn near feel like N20....
Old 10-09-2005, 03:57 PM
11 Second Club

thanks for the input.. I almost feel more like leaning toward the converter for right now, and nitrous later.. simply because the winter months are almost here and the street racing is coming to a hault for the year.. with the converter I can still have some fun just playing with the car.. then blast some nitrous through it in the spring when the racing starts back up.. anyone have a suggestion for a decent stall range.. I will be on Nitto DR's with a 150 shot.. as for future plans on the cam.. I wanna go as powerful as I can for a street car.. I cant do anything that will have piston to valve issues or anything like that.. so maybe a 230'ish duration .. I havent researched the cam yet.. so its still up in the air..
anyway.. thanks guys