Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question about forged motors

Old 10-09-2005, 02:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about forged motors

Sorry for the newb question,

When you guys refer to a "forged" motor, what are all the parts that consist of a forged motor. I know the rods are part of it but what else?

Again sorry for the extremely newb question, i'm still new to this stuff and trying to learn all i can.
Old 10-09-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Might wanna try this question in the forced induction forum
Old 10-09-2005, 03:37 PM
TECH Junkie

You will find out more about forged engines in the Internal Engine section. Basically a forged motor will have forged piston's and rods, and better overall internal engine parts.
Old 10-10-2005, 09:10 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

well a completely forged motor will include crank, rods, and pistons. however most forged 346-348 shortblocks that go for sale use the stock nodular iron crank thats been treated (nitrated), and a set of forged rods and pistons. the stock crank is good for more then what your average setup will throw at it and at the upper echelons its been shown to handle 800rwhp+. a stroker setup will contain a forged crank, usually 4".
Old 10-10-2005, 09:13 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

oh, and my forged 347 constists of a new ls6 block, stock crank, eagle 6.125 rods, custom diamond pistons, and clevite bearings.
Old 10-12-2005, 11:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

I am with Jrp on that. All I am replacing are the rods with lightweight Olivers and JE pistons which I already have both. Redoing of course the bearings and rings, timing chain and balancing the block. My rebuild won't happen til after this racing season due to the other LS1 in the household currently down with a cracked block from a clutch failure.

I am keeping my stock crank for the power I am tossing at it it's fine. If I were to replace the crank I'd go to a bigger cubed stroker. But not in this car........the next one I get I will but no cage in this car it's too nice as it is as a daily driver and track car any day of the week.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about forged motors