Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

RAP won't shut off when driver's door opened

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2005, 03:38 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default RAP won't shut off when driver's door opened

Does ANYONE know where the switch for this thing is on the driver's door? The RAP (Retained Accessory Power) shuts off just fine when you open the passenger side door. I'm thinking that maybe the previous owner hotwired this so he could listen to music when he opened the door.

The best description I have read so far is "it's the gold pushbutton looking thingy in the front of the doorjamb." I don't see ANYTHING! Or "if one doesn't shut radio off but the other does , then it is a pinswitch prob. the pinswitch wires can be accessed by removing the kick panels." Did that, STILL don't see anything! HELP! For such a simple thing, this is driving me nuts!

1stbird

2001 Firebird Formula
Purchased 8/19/2005

LS1
6 Speed (M6)
Ram Air Hood (Dealer Installed)
Ram Air Box (Dealer Installed)
K&N Air Filter
CAGS Eliminator
DRL Disable

Black on Black
No T-Tops
GM Factory Bra
Pilot Motorsports Shiftknob
Pilot Motorsports Pedal Covers

"My old lady left me and took my Firebird the other day. Damn, I miss that car!"
Old 10-09-2005, 04:00 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

There is no pinswitch on 98-up F-bodies. The switch is part of the door latch mechanism and is not available as a separate part. However, the latch alignment is adjustable (slightly) and may not be correctly positioned to trigger the switch.

I'm assuming that your courtesy lights also don't come on when you open the driver's door. If they do then it's not the switch causing the problem - it's the same switch for both functions.
Old 10-09-2005, 04:55 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re:RAP won't shut off when driver's door opened

You're right, WhiteBird00.

I looked in the hole above the door latch mechanism (where the other alignment pin on the back of the door jar goes into) and I can see where the previous owner CUT the wire wire! Stupid SOB !!!! So now I'll have to take off the door panel or hope that there is enough slack in the wire to resplice it.

Thanks for the help, WhiteBird00! Wish me luck! (I have been quoting your replies on some of the Mosoon questions.... Hope you don't mind! Just trying to share the knowledge!)

1stbird

EDIT: Not only was the Brown and Black wire cut, the Black wire was pulled out of the socket. Took me a minute to figure out which pin it went to and a little bit of giggling to get it to contact, but it WORKS now, just like it should! Sorry, but I just like things to work right! Thanks, WhiteBird00!

2001 Firebird Formula
Purchased 8/19/2005

LS1
6 Speed (M6)
Ram Air Hood (Dealer Installed)
Ram Air Box (Dealer Installed)
K&N Air Filter
CAGS Eliminator
DRL Disable

Black on Black
No T-Tops
GM Factory Bra
Pilot Motorsports Shiftknob
Pilot Motorsports Pedal Covers

"My old lady left me and took my Firebird the other day. Damn, I miss that car!"

Last edited by 1stbird; 10-09-2005 at 06:03 PM.