Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Billet Keys

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2005, 06:53 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Billet Keys

I bought the brand new hub assembly from Gforce(1-2), and installed while doing my rebuild, finished the install, and it would NOT shift into first or second. So after tearing down again, and reinstalling the stock sliders in 1-2 and billet in 3-4 everything worked just fine. Am I the only one to ever have this issue? What we narrowed it down to was, everytime the syncho-hub would slide down (into gear) it would wedge the keys at an angle and cause it to pinch the synchro, not allowing it to slide into gear. I guess I'm gonna call GForce monday morning. Oh well not Ideal, but at least it has new Synchros, slider keys in 3-4, a steel 3-4 shift fork, and fresh fluid.
Here's the pcitures of the stock key and a billet 1-2 key.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:25 PM
TECH Resident

I got the same keys... now im wondering if I should shave down my billet keys or not?
Old 12-14-2008, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Vendors that resell the new OEM(*) 1/2 keys, have to be shaved to work in older (double-synchro 1/2) transmissions. Vendors that sell custom billet 1/2 keys (thegearbox) will work in OEM as well as older applications.

(* Newer triple-synchro 1/2 transmissions like C5/C6/GTO have OEM billet keys)
Old 12-14-2008, 06:54 PM
TECH Resident

So is it a bad thing to shave the gear box ones? I thought Amber and Joe got their parts from the gear box as well, and that other post I found from searching, they list to shave them.

I guess Ill just have to be real careful, put it together and see what happens. Then take it apart if it doesnt bench shift.

thanks.
Old 12-14-2008, 07:01 PM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I don't think SSI purchased from TGB because of some bad dealings (as reported on another thread here).

You shouldn't need to shave down TGB billet keys, I've used them in dozens of double-synchro builds, but you should be able to easily move the 1/2 slider on the mainshaft after it's assembled, without building the entire transmission to test..
Old 12-14-2008, 09:47 PM
TECH Resident

Appreciate your responses!! Being a first timer there is just soo many fine points.

I ended up shaving them, prior to reading you previous post abut not needing too (

Though as a good note the blocker rings etc do play their role in securing the travel distance of those keys and the slider, so as long as you pay attention when pressing the synchro on, and make sure the keys dont slide off the spring etc... once on it should stay on and work just fine.

Or so it seems

Yea, I was able to use my hands , line up the 3/4 and 1/2 synchros and make them work just fine...

Thanks!!

Quick Reply: Billet Keys