Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying an LS1 car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an LS1 car...

I'm going to buy an LS1 car here pretty soon, and I'm having a tough time deciding 6-speed or automatic. The thing is I want a 6-speed over an automatic because it is faster stock for stock, and obviously a lot more fun to drive. I'm looking for a car with about 50,000-70,000 miles on it.

The problem is, I've never owned a manual before, and have only drove 2 for short periods of time. Would it be a good idea for my first manual car I own to be an ls1 camaro or t/a? It's just the problem with an auto is well of course it is slower, but everytime i'd come across somebody, they'd tell me thats where I went wrong, buying an auto and not a manual. I've gotten it plenty of times on my current camaro(mid-high 13 sec 91z28). I also would love to be shifting through the gears on my own, and I think manual cars just sound better, and for my purposes, which are gonna be probably to an from work, a nice weekend cruise car to maybe throw some roll/stop light races in, and a couple of drag-strip trips.

On the other hand, with me not knowing how to drive a manual that well(although I have a pretty good understanding of it, and can drive at normal speeds), I've never actually went WOT in a manual, and am worried that I would possibly over-rev, or burn up clutches like a madman...I need some advice, i've watched a bunch of instructional videos on how to drive a manual, and i've read write-ups on it, but I never know until I can just do the real thing. I'm actually considering buying an 800$ Geo Metro manual just to practice and use that as a work car....would that be a good idea?
Old 10-12-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No knowing how to drive a manual should not be a decision point. You'll learn how to drive the stick in no time at all. I have a 6 speed and I love it, but ocassionally I wish I had an auto. Don't knock the automatic cars, with a decent torque converter they'll kill a 6 speed in a drag race. I also thought the auto would be more expensive because of the cost of rebuilding the tranny, but a 6 speed takes an expensive clutch to go fast and people go through them in a hurry. People are buying a $1000 clutch for them right now and they'll probably replace them every 30,000 miles. That makes a $2000 built auto look cheap.

So it comes down to what you want, the auto will be quicker in the 1/4 mile, but the 6 speed will trap a little faster. The 6 speed is a ball to drive, but gets old real fast in bad traffic. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

One more thing, I wish I had an auto when I want to take my wife's car on a long trip and she has to drive the Camaro. She can drive a stick, but it still worries me.
Old 10-12-2005, 10:46 PM
12 Second Club

I won't have to worry about traffic THAT much, I only live/work in a city with a little bit upwards of 100,000 people, an I work 11 pm - 7 am, so it's not too much traffic, except for at 7 am, but I imagine I can manage. I also would not want a car with a stall, the car I have right now has a 2400 stall, and I have grown to not be able to stand it.

30,000 miles would probably take me around 2 years, so that wouldn't be that much of a factor. I am seriously considering buy this manual Geo Metro just for work and also get the benefit of learning how to drive a manual better. It's just I can't decide if I would rather buy the Metro for $800, or use that $800 to make a down payment on an LS1 car. Another factor is I live in Illinois and winter is coming up pretty soon, so I'll need to worry about icey/snowy roads for a couple of months, and I don't have a garage to store my car in, so it would just have to be covered by a car cover, would this have any negative effects on it? Like rust on the body or rims?
Old 10-13-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

I personally wouldn't but an $800 car for my own reasons. Also if you really want a manual transmission then get one, you don't want to regret it a few months down the road b/c you won't be happy with the car. The auto's in fbodys are good trannies and like already stated they can be quicker/more consistent for the 1/4 and a lot less hassle for busy city driving, but I have to admit an M6 car is more fun to drive.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:41 AM
11 Second Club

I taught myself how to drive stick in a weekend when I got my SS. That shouldn't be a problem, especially since you seem to know a lot about stick even though you don't have one yet. You sound like if you got the auto that you would regret it. I definitely think you should get the manual.
Old 10-13-2005, 01:08 AM
TECH Addict

I bought a 5-speed when I was 18 before I knew how to drive it. Learning it down to an art takes no more than a week. After 1 or 2 days you'll be confident enough to take it by yourself in traffic.

I've had my auto Camaro for 10 months and never regret getting the auto, but I do want another manual for now.
Old 10-13-2005, 04:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

throw a big stall in an auto and you will be happy. i am. and those guys that were making fun of you for driving an auto are clueless.
Old 10-15-2005, 01:44 PM
Teching In

if you race it the autos seem to be the better choice. i've seen TONS of 6spd cars break rearends at the dragstrip, usually 1 every time i go out. the auto itself is pretty weak, but at least you can limp it home. the 6spd's are more fun to me, but my friends 02 auto actually downshifts quick and pulls hard. definately my favorite automatic car to drive. learning to drive a 6spd is easy, do'nt worry about it.