Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference in Insurance- SS vs. z28

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 02:03 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Difference in Insurance- SS vs. z28

Just wondering if you guys know if insurance costs for an ss are significantly greater than that of a z28? I know the ss will probably be more expensive, but how much? I'll call my insurance company, but just wanted some insight on here first. If the ss is way higher than a z28, i'm not even going to bother.

Thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 04:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 98redcavz24
Just wondering if you guys know if insurance costs for an ss are significantly greater than that of a z28? I know the ss will probably be more expensive, but how much? I'll call my insurance company, but just wanted some insight on here first. If the ss is way higher than a z28, i'm not even going to bother.

Thanks
dont tell them its an SS. the vin# on SS's just pulls them up as being Z28s and yes it is more expensive, so dont tell them.

i know a few who have done this, and i was going to, but found a Z that i liked and got tired of looking for an SS.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:37 AM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There is no difference. Most insurance companies don't even know what a SS is - though they know what a WS6 is. So just tell them you have a Camaro and give them a VIN.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:37 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by DMNSPD
There is no difference. Most insurance companies don't even know what a SS is - though they know what a WS6 is. So just tell them you have a Camaro and give them a VIN.
untrue, my insurance is exactly the same with my WS6 as it was for my trans am
Old 10-13-2005, 10:30 AM
Staging Lane

My insurance statement says i have a z28...it says nothing about it being an SS. The insurance on them should be the same.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:09 AM
On The Tree

when I was 18 and shopping for insurance back when I bought my lt1 firebird, insurance was cheaper on the firebird then it would of been in a trans am. So I dont know about a SS, but all it is other than a Z is a few things that shouldnt make the insurance go up at all, and if it does nothing much at all.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Addict

You guys REALLY need to touch up on basic insurance guidelines.

There is NO DIFFERENCE between a Z28 and an SS. In fact, on my insurance card it says, "CAMAR Z28/SS". It's a Camaro V8 why in the hell would an appearance package change the insurance rates?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:35 AM
On The Tree

well mainly due to the ss hood cost more. ss came with nicer and more expensive rims and tires. so if you wreck, the insurnace company has to pay out more money to put your car back to stock then a ss back to stock.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:45 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by grubby98
well mainly due to the ss hood cost more. ss came with nicer and more expensive rims and tires. so if you wreck, the insurnace company has to pay out more money to put your car back to stock then a ss back to stock.
That's not exactly true which is why Insurance on a Corvette is typically a little cheaper than on a Z28 or SS. Insurance rates are based on a table of statistics and risks.
Old 10-13-2005, 12:11 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Ell Ess Won
That's not exactly true which is why Insurance on a Corvette is typically a little cheaper than on a Z28 or SS. Insurance rates are based on a table of statistics and risks.

right on
Old 10-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Teching In

See, this is what I thought also. More expensive options on the SS. Even though they pack the same power, I know the SS is rated higher in terms of HP so I thought the insurance company might take that into effect. Thats good to hear though that they will both be the same. Thanks guys
Old 10-13-2005, 04:11 PM
It's not mine! woo hoo!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Cephiros
untrue, my insurance is exactly the same with my WS6 as it was for my trans am
My Nationwide agent recognized it when I was first shopping back in 03.

That's what the RPO codes are for. If you have a claim, they can tell what wheels, hood, and wing are needed.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

... Insurance rates are based on a table of statistics and risks.
Exactly. It's all about the Camaro +V8 + driver demographic. The difference in cost to repair/replace the vehicle (Z28 compared to SS) becomes negligible (to an insurance company).
Old 10-13-2005, 09:24 PM
11 Second Club

You guys are alot more lucky than I.. When I was shopping for a LS1 I found a 00 SS for the same price I paid for my 98 Trans-Am.. I had to pass up the SS because the insurance was 433 a month where my Trans Am is only 255 a month.. Unfortunatly since my wife called to ask about insurance, they asked if it was an SS.. she said yes.. .. lost my chance on the car.. oh well.. I got my T/A and I love it..
Old 10-13-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 1BAD98TA
You guys are alot more lucky than I.. When I was shopping for a LS1 I found a 00 SS for the same price I paid for my 98 Trans-Am.. I had to pass up the SS because the insurance was 433 a month where my Trans Am is only 255 a month.. Unfortunatly since my wife called to ask about insurance, they asked if it was an SS.. she said yes.. .. lost my chance on the car.. oh well.. I got my T/A and I love it..
Something is not right with that...you probably made them think it was a FIREBIRD not a T/A.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

technically isnt a SS a Z28 to begin with anyway?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

Something is not right with that...you probably made them think it was a FIREBIRD not a T/A.
Old 10-14-2005, 01:05 AM
Teching In

So if its an SS and I tell the insurance company its a z28, is that going to get my in trouble?
Old 10-14-2005, 04:10 AM
11 Second Club

Well its on the insurance card as a T/A.. the only thing we could guess on the price jump was this.. There are thousands upon thousands of Trans Am's.. So the ratio of Trans Am's that have claims, compared to the number produced might be signifigantly lower than the ratio of SS's that have claims .. Hypothetically, if there are 10,000 SS's out there, and 4,500 of them have been totalled or whatever.. but there is 100,000 Trans Am's and 25,000 of them have been totalled out.. that would mean the ratio of Trans Am that are involved in insurance claims is signifigantly lower than that of the SS's.. Even though its a higher number of claims, the ratio is alot lower.. Kinda the same thing applying to a Corvette.. It cost more to repair/replace, it is worth alot more, its more "sporty".. but yet insurance is lower.. Cause the ratio of totalled covettes to total production is numerically smaller than an F-Body.. Lots of young guys get F-Body cars and end up killing them.. Very few young guys get a nice Vette.. Granted I have NO idea if this is the reason for the price difference in my case, but its the only thing I could think of..
As for you "getting in trouble".. the only thing that could possibly happen, and I dont think it would.. If you had a wreck, insurance guy came to look at the car, found out its an SS.. Maybe under some law they could deny the claim since the car was "misrepresented".. but I dont know jack either, so dont listen to me..
Old 10-14-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

when I was 18 and shopping for insurance back when I bought my lt1 firebird, insurance was cheaper on the firebird then it would of been in a trans am. So I dont know about a SS, but all it is other than a Z is a few things that shouldnt make the insurance go up at all, and if it does nothing much at all.

thats because the firebird and the trans am are different models, recognized by insurance.

the cost to fix a vehicle is factored into insurance premiums, as well how often insurance companies pay out on them, amongst many other factors. So you can't say that an insurance company doesnt look at how much it costs to fix a vehicle when deciding on premiuims.

My insurance company recognizes my car as an Iroc-Z28...... whatever