Sponsored by:

LS2 Timing Chain identification/ dimensions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 10:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default LS2 Timing Chain identification/ dimensions

Hey all,

In the middle of a cam swap, on my 2004 GTO with a build date of 08/2004. I forget the cutoff date...somewhere in 2004 all LS1's got the LS2 chain...or so I read on one of these forums.

Car only has 7,000 miles on it so I don't see the need to change the chain....assuming it is an LS2. I have seen the other posts...but without a side by side I am a little in the dark here.

Anyone know what the link thickness difference is? Or any other way to identify it?

Thanks
Old 10-13-2005, 10:33 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking the only way is to measure it.. Do you have a set of calipers? If you do, I have my old stock LS1 chain on my bench (can't seem to throw anything away) and I can measure the link plate thickness; you can then compare to what you have..

As an alternative, check out the pics in this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/generation-iii-internal-engine/391404-about-ls2-timing-chain.html They are accurate enough for comparison purposes. The LS2 chain links are quite a bit thicker, you should see the difference.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 10-13-2005 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-13-2005, 10:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan_the_C5_Man
I'm thinking the only way is to measure it.. Do you have a set of calipers? If you do, I have my old stock LS1 chain on my bench (can't seem to throw anything away) and I can measure the link plate thickness; you can then compare to what you have..

As an alternative, check out the pics in this thread. https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=391404 They are accurate enough for comparison purposes. The LS2 chain links are quite a bit thicker, you should see the difference.
I appreciate it....just went out to measure. I haven't pulled the cam gear off yet so it was a little tight...but here is what i get.

using dial calipers, the link plate next to the roller is approx .071

tomorrow I will have the chain laying loose for a more accurate measurement but I think this is pretty close.

Thanks again.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by b727pic
I appreciate it....just went out to measure. I haven't pulled the cam gear off yet so it was a little tight...but here is what i get.

using dial calipers, the link plate next to the roller is approx .071

tomorrow I will have the chain laying loose for a more accurate measurement but I think this is pretty close.

Thanks again.
Sorry to take so long to get back to you.. My stock inside plates on my old LS1 chain are approx. 0.045". So if I had to guess, you have the newer LS2 chain, no need to replace it.

Last edited by Dan_the_C5_Man; 10-17-2005 at 01:14 AM.

Quick Reply: LS2 Timing Chain identification/ dimensions