Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need MORE power, lost a few races :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2005, 10:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need MORE power, lost a few races :(

Okay, I just got my car about a week ago, and i've raced twice now, a S2000, race was from 80-120mph, pulled away but i was easing out of the throttle due to lack knowledge of my handling... again, some riced out honda, probably 70-115 mph... didnt pull on me, but i couldnt shake him... i let him go, then i got back up and asked him, he said it was all motor, but his plate frames said "boosted for pleasure" so i assume No2...

although the civic was stripped and had a cage in it... I still cant let myself be walked on by...

what are some first steps to get my car more competative?
Old 10-13-2005, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Well for starters i like putting on a whole new exhaust set-up because it not only gets you a considerable amount of power for the money but also lets them know your there and then you could move on to lids, cam, heads, tb and whatnot if you really wanted to get serious...most people put exhaust on first but keep asking around, and eventually you will be guided in the right direction
Old 10-13-2005, 10:55 PM
Teching In

well i'm a little unfamiliar with what i lid is, i know my friend has one on his ss... but i'm a little unsure of what the "whisper" lid is (thats the brand correct?)

its the intake? i've got K&N and it came with the car, but i've gotta clean it out i think, not entirely sure how to do that...

but i've also considered GMMG for exhaust, but i've gotta save up a bit for that...
Old 10-13-2005, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

SLP makes a nice cold air induction package...it will definatly help your car breathe better especially if you have aftermarket exhaust. As for GMMG yes it sounds good but man they are expensive. I would find a cheaper exhaust that sounds just as good if i were u.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by CamaroRumble
SLP makes a nice cold air induction package...it will definatly help your car breathe better especially if you have aftermarket exhaust. As for GMMG yes it sounds good but man they are expensive. I would find a cheaper exhaust that sounds just as good if i were u.
eventually i wanted to get the ram air intake, at that point is the cold air still a better induction package?
Old 10-13-2005, 11:05 PM
On The Tree

There is no real differnence between a ram air intake and cold air induction...here is a nice set up but a little pricey...http://www.fbodymotorsports.com/inc/sdetail/17944
Old 10-13-2005, 11:08 PM
Teching In

what about gears?

i know lt1 owners often switch to 3.73's or something... but i suppose gears wouldnt really help my 110+ mph racing
Old 10-13-2005, 11:11 PM
On The Tree

I dont know a damn thing about gears...sorry bud
Old 10-13-2005, 11:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

You could throw gears in the rear for an easy step up in quickness. 3.73's or 4.10's are pretty much the only things worth steppin up to if your an M6, if your an A4 maybe up to 3.42's or 3.73's. They will increase your acceleration by quite a bit ... but your also going to be shifting at lower speeds, and you'll be cruising at higher rpm's than your probably used to. But they are an easy way to drop .1-.2 in the quarter.

+I'd start with a Lid ... there are a bunch of brands out there (whisper, TSP, G2, Direct Flo) thats good for about ~5-7hp at the wheels.

+Then look at exhaust, you can start w/ a catback if your just wanting sound. If you want power ... look into a set of LT's with either a set of Duals, or a Ypipe/catback setup. Will make your car much louder, and give about ~20-225 at the wheels.

+A ported throttle body is also a great mod after you've got the LT's ... helping your engine breathe is the best way to get your car to about 340rwhp ... then once your there, you'll be able to get the full benefit of bigger mods (heads/cam ... etc).

Bottom line is that you can do alot of things to your car to make it quicker ... but its gonna come down to your budget and what else your trying to accomplish.
Old 10-13-2005, 11:41 PM
SSU's Drunk Typing Whore

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139142
https://ls1tech.com/forums/new-ls1-owners-newbie-tech/361959-so-you-wanna-fast.html
Old 10-14-2005, 10:14 AM
Teching In

wow, thanks theres some nice info in there...