TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default cam price / requirement ?'s

i've definately decided to go with this cam:

224 @ 50
.568 lift
112 lsa
108 intake centerline

now the only question i have is, i know i need new lifters, probably rockers and valve springs. (am i missing anything?) how much do you guys usually $$$$$ to get everything needed for an aftermarket cam to go in an ls1 with a tune?

( please do not include install price if you had someone do this for you. )

damn ls1 stuff is so expensive
Old 10-14-2005, 08:23 PM
TECH Resident

I'd go with a bigger cam....

I picked the Comp Cams 232/234 .595/.598 112

I spent $650 on the cam, pushrods, and springs (hookup price)

I love the cam. Tuned wise you'd be looking at $400-450 probably (thats the range around here, unless you know someone you can get it done cheaper).
Old 10-14-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Addict

reason i didnt wanna go bigger was
1) wouldn't i need different gear ratios in the rear such as 3.73's or 4.10's with a cam like that.
2) ^^ if that's the case i have a 10 bolt, don't want to spend the $ on a 12 bolt and would be worried about the 10 breaking.
trust me i'd like to go bigger i want a big lope this is also a street car and i would like lower end power as well as high.
Old 10-14-2005, 08:31 PM
TECH Resident

I have a 10 bolt w/ 4.10's right now in mine. It would help if you had gears but its not a requirement...
Old 10-14-2005, 08:46 PM
TECH Addict

yeah but as i said DD without different gear ratios and a large cam the low end would be terrible to drive in town everyday. what is your RPM range for that cam you have, how is the idle?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:13 PM
12 Second Club

i just installed a 230/230 114 lsa and I make 300 lb ft of torque at 2200RPM, and it builds to peak at 368@ 5100, so big doesnt mean you will lose low end torque
Old 10-14-2005, 09:24 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by mcamp001
i just installed a 230/230 114 lsa and I make 300 lb ft of torque at 2200RPM, and it builds to peak at 368@ 5100, so big doesnt mean you will lose low end torque
correct me if i'm wrong and i VERY well could be, but isn't that cam right there smaller than the one i had originally decided on? the lift is a little bigger...but the lsa is less aggressive...right?
Old 10-14-2005, 09:28 PM
12 Second Club

lsa is higher, but there is a big difference between 224 and 230, also lift here is .591, much higher then .568. I was try to make the point that going a little bigger then 224 isn't going to give up much low end torque. I get good idle, good driviblity, and lope isn't too bad, you can tell the car is cammed, but it's not crazy. I know a few that put in a 224 and were dissappointed, thats all, you may want to consider going a tad higher, and then again maybe not.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:36 PM
TECH Addict

i definately want the lope, as stupid as it sounds, i definately want the added power but a main reason i want a cam is the lope it's just bad ***. i've been doing research but i'm fairly new as far as knowledge goes on the cam as you can tell lol.
Old 10-14-2005, 09:55 PM
12 Second Club

a cam pick is tough, lots to consider. if you get a higher LSA you can always lower idle speed to make it lope harder. Keep reading, there is a ton of good info on here. Good luck on your choice!
Old 10-14-2005, 10:39 PM
Launching!

I like your cam choice, 99. A bigger cam will almost always lose some bottom end power. There's no way around that. Not a lot of people here change rocker arms either. There seems to little to gain going with aftermarket rockers. Most folks reuse their stock lifters also. I think it might be a good idea to change lifters if you're going with a really big cam that requires added spring pressure. I don't think you're close to that though. I believe TR and other popular cam sellers sell kits that require most everything needed to do a cam swap.
Old 10-14-2005, 11:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by krexken
I like your cam choice, 99. A bigger cam will almost always lose some bottom end power. There's no way around that. Not a lot of people here change rocker arms either. There seems to little to gain going with aftermarket rockers. Most folks reuse their stock lifters also. I think it might be a good idea to change lifters if you're going with a really big cam that requires added spring pressure. I don't think you're close to that though. I believe TR and other popular cam sellers sell kits that require most everything needed to do a cam swap.
see f13 , but i got the hotcam for now, i payed under 200 dollars to put it in and some say it doesnt have great power (what 100 shot is for) but it gets great low end tq. (i havent put it in yet, but i see the graphs and they are awesome)
Old 10-14-2005, 11:47 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99camarosupersport
i've definately decided to go with this cam:

224 @ 50
.568 lift
112 lsa
108 intake centerline

now the only question i have is, i know i need new lifters, probably rockers and valve springs. (am i missing anything?) how much do you guys usually $$$$$ to get everything needed for an aftermarket cam to go in an ls1 with a tune?

( please do not include install price if you had someone do this for you. )

damn ls1 stuff is so expensive
Actually you should only need the cam, new valve springs, hardened pushrods, and a LS2 timing chain.

Good idea/time to replace the oil pump as well (if you want too).

A good tune (not just a squeek by so the car will idle) can run you between $400-$700, in my shopping.

First Cam we paid full price ~$480.
Valve springs ~$150
Pushrods ~$110
LS2 Timing chain ~$35
Gasket kit ~$60
Bolts ~$10
Tuning ~$450

Our new one we went with:
Cam ~$180
Valve Spring Kit (Duals) $260
Ported LS6 Oil Pump $80 (second hand find, no miles)
Gasket kit $60
Tuning ?

EDIT: Don't forget all of your standard fluids and stuff: Coolant (Dex-Cool), Oil (I get extra oil for the first few hundred miles and then change again), Oil Filter, etc
Old 10-15-2005, 03:00 AM
TECH Addict

i heard that any aftermarket cam puts alot of pressure on the stock pushrods and that the stock ones are not that strong/great. maybe i'll forget the rockers, but won't turning the timing down slow down throttle response and also basically lower performance a tad i mean i love the big lopes but i wouldn't wanna have that just to LOSE power. could be wrong here someone correct me if i am please. i asked about the camthat mattiroc talked about and that cam tech at comp said he thought it would be too big. i guess a cam with a nice lope will lose some low end torque.....i guess i just am not wanting it to be too ridicoulas.

Last edited by 99camarosupersport; 10-15-2005 at 03:05 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:15 AM
10 Second Club

i heard that any aftermarket cam puts alot of pressure on the stock pushrods and that the stock ones are not that strong/great. maybe i'll forget the rockers, but won't turning the timing down slow down throttle response and also basically lower performance a tad i mean i love the big lopes but i wouldn't wanna have that just to LOSE power. could be wrong here someone correct me if i am please. i asked about the camthat mattiroc talked about and that cam tech at comp said he thought it would be too big. i guess a cam with a nice lope will lose some low end torque.....i guess i just am not wanting it to be too ridicoulas.
Okay I have to admit I am not quite sure what you are getting at here?

The 232/234 .595/.598 112 isn't the biggest cam in the world at all, it will just move your powerband up in the rpm range but should give more peak HP, per se.

The pushrod replacement IMHO is a must, especially if you are going with the cam above. The stockers would be twisted like a paper clip...

About being lopey and losing power, I am a little confused what you are asking... Are you referring to the lobe seperation angle? The 112 LSA will lope a bit more than a 114 but the lower LSA means the more the lobes will overlap and the more lope in the cam, usually meaning more power found sooner in the RPM range.

A TR224 with a 112 LSA will lope nicely... What exactly are you looking for (more low end power, higher HP numbers) and what issues might you need to address (tuning, drivability, emmissions)? That is the deciding factor.
Old 10-15-2005, 04:11 AM
TECH Resident

well I picked up 45-50 rwhp going to the cam only... I was making around 325-330 rwhp before, dyno'd 375.... Its not TOO big, but it is one of the biggest cams you can use with stock displacement. Plus its a online catalog cam, nothing custom about it. If you're going to buy a cam, do it right and get a nicer one, not a weak one.
Old 10-15-2005, 05:03 AM
12 Second Club

go to ls1sounds.com under camshafts. checkout the 231/237 .598/.595 112 lsa cams. go down to the 2000 SS,w flo-pro twister muffler. check it out.I too am picking this more for sound then HP.

fuerzaws6
Old 10-15-2005, 08:47 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your cam choice is just fine, its close to the one I'm running, and you will be able to tell that you've got a cam. The 224 makes plenty of power and is very streetable. Also my car does not sound like a sewing machine, bigger the cam, bigger the annoyning valve train noise. Just make sure you get a computer tune, so you'll get the full benifit of power from your cam. Lifters are not a priorty on changing, I read many of posts,and researched this, and your factory gm lifters will work just great. Read many of posts on members with those comp lifters complaining about them. Also try to do the cam change yourself.
Old 10-15-2005, 11:25 AM
TECH Addict

Azrael, this is a daily driven car. as for tuning i'm going to have that done not long after the cam is installed. and emmissions is not a factor. i'd like a mid to high range power band but with driveability b/c as i said this is a DD car, if that is possible. the stock lifters might hold up, but i heard that they would flex, and IMO you might as well not even have a aftermarket cam if they are going to do that. the rockers in the other hand i think i am going to leave stock. mattiroc, how was the driveabilty BEFORE you had 4.10's in the rear. cowboys fan that is exactly the kind of lope i want. everyone check that out so you can see what kind of lope i'm liking here....

Last edited by 99camarosupersport; 10-15-2005 at 11:36 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:46 PM
10 Second Club

Azrael, this is a daily driven car. as for tuning i'm going to have that done not long after the cam is installed. and emmissions is not a factor. i'd like a mid to high range power band but with driveability b/c as i said this is a DD car, if that is possible. the stock lifters might hold up, but i heard that they would flex, and IMO you might as well not even have a aftermarket cam if they are going to do that. the rockers in the other hand i think i am going to leave stock. mattiroc, how was the driveabilty BEFORE you had 4.10's in the rear. cowboys fan that is exactly the kind of lope i want. everyone check that out so you can see what kind of lope i'm liking here....

That is what I am trying to say though, we have a TR224 on our daily driver. You don't really have to worry about the lifters unless you are running a more extreme cam and increasing your rev limiter to run it at higher than normal RPM. New lifters will not hurt but expect to be spending more to replace them. Pushrods are a must... Lifters collapse, pushrods flex (and bend)...

It is really all about what you want to spend...