New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 07:24 AM
ZSU
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fire Bird Transam

What Is Da Different Between Firebird And Trans-am??

Why One Of Them Can Be Low Wing Or High Wing??
Old 10-15-2005, 07:27 AM
ZSU
Launching!

Question Diffrence Between Firebird And Transam??

WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FIREBIRD AND TRANSAM??

WHICH ONES WING IS LOW PROFILE WHICH ONE OF HIGH PROFILE? IS THAT MEAN SOMETHING?

COULD SOMEONE WRITE THEM "STOCK SPECS" ??
Old 10-15-2005, 08:58 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZSU
WHAT IS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN FIREBIRD AND TRANSAM??

WHICH ONES WING IS LOW PROFILE WHICH ONE OF HIGH PROFILE? IS THAT MEAN SOMETHING?

COULD SOMEONE WRITE THEM "STOCK SPECS" ??

Man you dont even belong in this forum if your asking questions like that.......my question to you is how do you NOT know that?!?!?!
Old 10-15-2005, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by madprops0
Man you dont even belong in this forum if your asking questions like that.......my question to you is how do you NOT know that?!?!?!
come on now the guy has two posts, everybody has to start somewhere

and the MAIN difference is a firebird has a v6(3800 series II 3.8l) and a formula/trans am has a v8(LS1 5.7l)

in fourth gen trans am's have a dfiferent front facia's from formula's/firebirds, and the spoiler is different

the other half of your question, the firebird/formula has the low profile spoiler adn the trans am has the uplifted one.

and as other people have said before, the search is your freind.

Trans Am

Firebird

Last edited by Cephiros; 10-15-2005 at 09:47 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:02 AM
ZSU
Launching!

Exclamation

Originally Posted by madprops0
[IMG]Madprobs, Be easy my friend...

I am user of BMW...
And I am not from United States..
I want to buy an American.. Camaro, Trans am or a Stang... Model year may be between *1995-1997*.. Is it same as that year Firebirds? All of got low profiled?
So I am not sure some of stuff.. I had hear FireBird is V6 and the T/A is V8..

So I only want to be sure, Because there is a Pontiac they say it is "V8 5.7lt" but it has low profiled spoiler or no big hood Hood.. Only 17" rims.. So after your answer I think this is not Trans am.. It is Firebird with V6 engine..

Thank you for your help my friend (CEPHiROS)!! I am really GLAD your answer...
There is the picture of the car I wanted to buy.. But Now I know it is 3,8.. So nevermind that car..
[/IMG]
Attached Thumbnails Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?-1_image_for_silan_485554.jpg   Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?-2_image_for_silan_485554.jpg  
Old 10-15-2005, 10:19 AM
ZSU
Launching!

Default fake transam

look that is why I asked about LOW WING...
I think this is not TRANSAM.. it is Firebird with V6... But the seller say it is Transam w/ 5.7lt..
Attached Thumbnails Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?-fire.jpg   Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?-fr.jpg  
Old 10-15-2005, 10:33 AM
TECH Resident

accually that cxar you wanted to buy was a V8 early fourth gen trans am 5.7l LT1 engine

the firebirds/formulas ddnt have the foglights, and there are some firebirds that have 5.7l they are called formula's, they look like a firebird, but have 5.7l engines

that being said, the early fourth gens some of the trans am's did come with the low profile spoiler, during those years there was an additinal trans am package you ahd to get to get the uplevel spoiler, if memory suits me correctly, that package was called the GT package

and that second set of pictures looks like an aftermarket hood and body kit,

heres what those were sposed to look like

Firebird/Formula front end

Trans am

in both cases of the picture i showed earlier adn these, the formula's (not firebirds) can get the ws6 option and have the hoods picture in the trans am pictures, and likewise the trans ams can be sold without the ws6 option, and have the same hood as the formula/firebird.

Last edited by Cephiros; 10-15-2005 at 10:41 AM.
Old 10-15-2005, 10:40 AM
HPP
TECH Enthusiast

In the LT1 era, I believe that the Firebird wing was an option (or possibly vice versa), so it could be a T/A with the molded spoiler. Also, convertibles all had the molded spoiler, T/A or not.

The basic differences have already been laid out, but Trans Ams also come with more features as standard than the Firebirds do.

Essentially, the Firebird is the base model, the Forumla is the Firebird with the go-fast goodies of the Trans Am, and the Trans Am is the top of the line, it looks different (better), has the big engine, and all the options. For example, in '02, the only option you could choose in a Trans Am was manual or auto tranny and CD changer or not. EVERYTHING else was standard, while on the Firebird (and Formula) it was an option.

BTW - that's an aftermarket Ram Air hood and ground effects on that car. I think they're ugly, but it does tell you work has been done to it. Before you buy it you should find out exactly all the mods done to it as well as it's history.

Edit - Ciphrios and I were typing at the same time apparently. lol
Old 10-15-2005, 10:46 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by HPP
convertibles all had the molded spoiler, T/A or not.
haha this is very true, i completly forgot about that (not a vert fan, perfer t-tops)
Old 10-15-2005, 11:00 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ZSU
look that is why I asked about LOW WING...
I think this is not TRANSAM.. it is Firebird with V6... But the seller say it is Transam w/ 5.7lt..

ZSU ... WELCOME! Actually I believe what you are looking at IS a V8 5.7l car. I have seen a few in person that were indeed a T-top Trans Am(TA) WITH the low-rise fin. The front bumper on that on as well as the tail light and exhaust are all TA parts (that can be added to a V6 aftermarket mind you but at quite a bit of expense)

the tale of the tape is under the hood my friend. You really need to pop the hood and look under there. If it looks like you couldn't even stick a loaf of bread in there chances are it's a 5.7l V8 (actually look on both sides of the motor, there "should" be 8 wires coming from a single box looking thing, called an opti-spark distribuitor, then 4 go to one side and 4 to the other) Not shure how mechanically inclined you are but thses are the spark plug wires that carry the spark to the plugs that ignite the gas. if there are onlt 6 plugs you're looking at a V6 but I'm alomst positive you are looking at a V8 car.

of course you could always test drive it and if it's a manual rev it up to about 3000 RMS and dump the clutch and if it goes straight to redline and the tach starts bouncing (rev limiter) then shift into 2nd and you keep spinning for closr to 1/8th of a mile you prolly looking @ a v8 (automatic, hold down the brakes push the pedal to the floor then let the brakes off and she should be spinning like mad )
one thing "could" keep this from happening. look where the dash and center console meet. If there a rocker style switch that says "TCS" that's the traction control system (I don't believe the V6's got this system so they'll be no need to go thrash on the car) without the TCS system I think there's like a little pocket for ... heck I dont know what becouse it's a pretty small cubby hole of a pocket ... but then you can go thrash away if the sales person don't mind
Old 10-15-2005, 11:02 AM
On The Tree

heck ... looks like we were all typing at the same time
Old 10-15-2005, 11:08 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Cephiros

Trans am

uuummm... isn't that a firehawk? or is it an aftermarket hood on a TA or the WS-6? you are gonna confuse the heck outa this guy the standard TA didn't have the hood scoops at all
Old 10-15-2005, 12:13 PM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

You haven't mentioned what country you reside in, but the 'bird you're thinking about purchasing was originally bound for North America. The exported Firebirds had small rectangular red reflectors right underneath each taillight (See attached pic).
Attached Thumbnails Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?-101-0182_img.jpg  
Old 10-15-2005, 12:19 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Trans Am is the way to go
Old 10-15-2005, 12:23 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by joe_kool315
uuummm... isn't that a firehawk? or is it an aftermarket hood on a TA or the WS-6? you are gonna confuse the heck outa this guy the standard TA didn't have the hood scoops at all
WS6 was an option in those years, just much rarer from these days

(If memory suits me correctly...it MAY be a firehawk after all, though i did also state that ta's coudl be gotten with the regular hood adn vice versa...pretty sure its a ws6 but yeah lt1 gen isnt my forte
Old 10-15-2005, 06:25 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Default soo..

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
You haven't mentioned what country you reside in, but the 'bird you're thinking about purchasing was originally bound for North America. The exported Firebirds had small rectangular red reflectors right underneath each taillight (See attached pic).

I am from Country TURKIYE my friend...

So is this car a real "1997 TRANS AM" without Ram air?( cuz its Hood is simple-not air space)
Or is that car only a "FireBird with V6" (with 17"rims and T-top) without High Wing? -I am confusing because it wing is Low Profiled like Firebirds not like TRANSAMs... is it possible 5.7 lt V8 TransAm with low wing?

And What is the performance 1997 model, 0-60 mile Automatic transmission and its Horse power? 5.7lt with out ram air)
Attached Thumbnails Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?-2_image_for_silan_485554.jpg   Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?-1_image_for_silan_485554.jpg  

Last edited by ZSU; 10-15-2005 at 06:30 PM.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

that is a trans am, compare front end to my pics up above

the high wing on the lt1 trans ams was part of a body package not standard
and the ram air hood was either part of the firehawk package, or the ws6 package as well (after somone said soemthing im not 100% sure anymore) but its definately not standard, and it is indeed rare

unless the guy has replaced the front facia, that is definately a 5.7l. LT1
Old 10-15-2005, 06:33 PM
ZSU
Launching!

that is a trans am, compare front end to my pics up above

the high wing on the lt1 trans ams was part of a body package not standard

unless the guy has replaced the front facia, that is definately a 5.7l. LT1
Thank you so much my friend! I am really gladdd
Old 10-15-2005, 06:36 PM
TECH Resident

also the ratings for that year/engine are
LT1 V8 285@5200 HP 325@2400 Tourqe
5.8 0-60 and 14.3 quarter mile

and the hood scoop *IS* the ws6 option, i looked it up to make sure
Old 10-15-2005, 06:40 PM
ZSU
Launching!

Default :)

also the ratings for that year/engine are
LT1 V8 285@5200 HP 325@2400 Tourqe
5.8 0-60 and 14.3 quarter mile
5.8sc For Auto-Transmissions??
Oh it is really GREAT!
Then I can kick my friends 2003 SL500 and anothers Chrysler Crossfire

Quick Reply: Difference Between Firebird And Trans Am?