Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

clutch ruined? ideas anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 12:32 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy clutch ruined? ideas anyone?

Okay, here's the dilemma. In July, or roughly 3000 miles ago, I had to change out a slave cylinder that went bad. I replaced the stock 98 cylinder with the new "upgraded" 02. I also decided that since my mechanic would be in there messing with that, I might as well change out everything else so I went with a master cylinder (ram) and powergrip HD clutch kit and did the drill mod on the line while everything was off. I went with the HD because my plans are to have more horses in the future so I was kind of hoping to grow into it.

I never have been 100% satisfied with the HD, even when it was servicible. It worked but was annoying as a DD and it's always been too notchy like the hydraulics weren't fully disengaging and the clutch point was right on the floor--not an inch off the floor but right off it. I messed with the adjustments on the master and it seemed like it was engaging as high as possible on the pedal, in other words if I adjusted it either way it was worse. I was wondering if the clutch was either supposed to be shimmed and not shimmed or if it came with shims and they were put in and it was shimmed too much....I don't have a clue when it comes to this crap

Then I found what I thought was part of the problem. The mechanic failed to put the clutch line back behind the heat shield and it decided to camp out on the header. So the fluid boiled and the hydraulics weren't servicible anymore. So I purged the black fluid completely, reloaded with new wilwood fluid, wrapped the clutch line in heater hose, header wrap (the line not the headers), and foil tape--it's not going to get hot anymore. But it really hasn't gotten any better. I can limp it around if I screw with the adjustments on the ram and get it to go in a couple of gears, but nothing that qualifies as drivable.

So anyone have any idea what could be broken? I'd kind of like to know before I have someone tear into it and cost me more money. Did I burn up the new slave cylinder with hot fluid? or master? or better put is it possible to kill the hydraulics this quick after the fluid gets hot just a couple times? I even am wondering if something went wrong with the drill mod (although it doesn't appear to leak or anything). It's just frustrating. I don't have the money to just continually throw at this thing, so when I do something I want to make it count. So far that hasn't occurred.

I have no idea what could be wrong and I'd just like to have SOME idea of what the problem COULD be... any ideas from anyone?

damn why do these damn things have to be hydraulic?
Old 10-16-2005, 09:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

So it wants to grab right of the floor? If so you might want to shim the slave cyl. I dont even drop the trans to do it. I just take out all the bolts holding it to the bellhouseing and put 4 long ones in to keep it lined up. Slide it back enough to get my hand inside then use a 10mm to lossen the slave. slde it forward and install the shims. Then tighten everything back up and away I go. I had to take some out of mine the other day and did it myself in about 3 hrs. But I had the top bolt on the pass side not wanting to accept a socket so that held me up aobut 30 min.
Old 10-16-2005, 12:32 PM
Launching!

ok, so shimming moves the engagement point up on the pedal...at least that would be progress. what i'm worried about more than anything is if I ruined the slave with the fluid getting hot and all. It was only in since July but I don't imagine it's built to take fluid that's been boiled by the header (and the master probably isn't either). that's my main concern right now, as it never worked 100% right even before the fluid got cooked. but I imagine the slave's going to have to come out anyway to check it out, so I'll try shimming it...or at least I'll ask my mechanic if he used shims when he put the clutch in and go from there. Any other opinions?
Old 10-16-2005, 12:37 PM
Launching!

another question? anyone sell shims? can't find them on ram's website...
Old 10-17-2005, 02:10 PM
TECH Apprentice

I cant remeber where I bought them from, I know it was from one of the sponsers but its been a couple of years. i am not sure about the fluid hurting the slave or mc but I would just try the shims and flush everything with fresh fluid and try it. If it works great if not then try the mc first, its easier to get out.

Quick Reply: clutch ruined? ideas anyone?