Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Explain Brakestands 6-spd!

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Explain Brakestands 6-spd!

Use to have an auto lt1 in the 12's, now have a 98 6-spd and love it. Im having trouble doing brakestands. I can drive the car well went 13.7 last night with exhaust and lid, but i really dont understand the foot-brake-gas movements involved with my feet. at the strip i would just pull through the box and roast em for a couple a feet. would really appreciate the help thnx.
Old 10-16-2005, 05:27 PM
TECH Regular

This is REAL EASY....just takes practice and a little finesse. Just rev engine and dump clutch trying to spin the tires just like you do when you are showing off leaving your friends house, except take your left foot and now step on the brake, DO NOT MASH IT!!Press it slowly. The car will launch forward, spin, and stop dead with the tires spinning. If you are quick enough, you can hit second, but my car wheel hops hard when I do. Lots O Luck
Old 10-16-2005, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use my right heel to hold the brake and mash the gas with my toes, and just work the clutch with my left foot. Rev it up while holding the brake and dump it. This way keeps the car alot straiter as the car doesn't start moving forward any.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:38 PM
On The Tree

thanks alot, i was just curious as i tried one time a while back and uhh i think tracttion control was on (oops) and it stood still smokin......the clutch it was really wierd. so i hadnt tried in a while cause im scared about hurting my clutch. so it all comes down to dumping the clutch i guess?? thanks for the replies just a newbie trying to make it
Old 10-16-2005, 08:45 PM
TECH Junkie

Like zapp mentioned, the key is switching your foot quickly to the brake pedal, but not pressing down on in too hard.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:22 PM
FormerVendor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

why not use a line lock? Line locks are alot less expensive then wearing brake pads, warping rotors, putting addional stress on the drivetrain and making things more difficult then need be.

Step on the brakes, hold the LL button then release the brakes. As long as your holding the buttons, your front wheels are locked, the rear are free to spin. You won't move until you release the momentary button.

We've got a ton of style LL kits we manufacture. The least expensive kits for ~125.00 are a very good bargin. All kits are located in the braking section.

Good luck.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just installed one of steve's kit and it is top notch. The pre-bent lines where very nice and a line lock is definitly easyer and less wear on your car.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

WERD get a line lock.
Old 10-17-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

no line lock use swap foot way BUT why shift to second just dump it in second if you really need to spin... but then again with out gear not shure how it works