Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems getting the stater into the housing

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 06:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default problems getting the stater into the housing

How do i get the stater back in? We were trying to get the front pump back in and are trying to get the whole part back into the housing. We can get it into the seal to the housing, but it doesnt want to go past that.

(this is tim's girlfriend writing this for him, sorry if I'm not being clear)

Last edited by Tiger2o69; 10-16-2005 at 07:18 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats doesn't make much sense to me. The stator is inside the converter.
Stator support? What are you working on?
Old 10-16-2005, 07:08 PM
Banned

Do you mean you're putting the forward drum back in the trans then when you go to put the pump in it won't go all the way down?
You've got to get everything engaged, if it's not going on all the way pull the drum back out and see if one of the clutches splines is not lined up with the others.
If the drum is in the case and is down far enough a tap with a hammer handle should seat the pump in the case. Then tighten two bolts, if the input stops turning it's not right. If it turns check the endplay.
Hopefully it was test fitted without the clutches to select the proper shim to get the right endplay.

If thats even what you're doing.
Old 10-16-2005, 09:28 PM
11 Second Club

Hey, Sorry I was calling her from the shop to post and try and figure out what was going on.

Basically what happened was we took the trans out and put a shift kit in. We also had to change the front seal and check to make sure the front pump wasnt broken. We took out the black bolts that held the part that bolts to the block off. Then we removed the bolts that hold the stator suppor? (the part that has the front pump inside) We unbolted the back part and checked to see if the front pump was broken and it wasnt. So we put the part of the shift kit that goes in there. Then we started to put it back together and the band popped of the drum. So then we work with it and get it back on and start to put the stator support back on. It goes all the way down to where the seal is and then the bottom part seems to have problems going in.. Sounds like its hitting something. We were afraid to pull anything else out and see what was going on.

So basically do you think its because something isnt lined up? And do you think its ok to pull some of the stuff out to check. Is it hard to get everything back in?

thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 06:01 AM
Banned

If you took the pump halves apart make sure they are lined back up.
It sounds like you are trying to put it together with it setting on the pan or something. You need to stand it straight up in the tailshaft or else the the back of the stator support will catch on the reverse input drum.
Better check the teflon rings at this point.
Stand it up, put the input drum in with the reverse input drum on it. It takes a lot of wiggling and turning to get it seated.
Old 10-17-2005, 09:58 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks that helps a lot. We were trying to put it in while laying down and I dont think it was ingaged. I have no clue about transmission stuff and I couldnt find any write ups or post post about it so I went into that part blind. I found something on how to take it out and that only took up about 1:30 minutes. The shift kit took a couple of hours and just messing with the stator pump has taken forever.

What do you mean by checking the teflon rings? are those behind the drum? Can I take that stuff out safely? I havent pulled the drum out yet because I was afraid all the clutches and stuff was behind it and I would have a big problem.

Also when you say the pump halves are you talking about the the two large parts that the pump is incased in or the actual pump? I took the two large parts apart and there was a ring that set in between the two and i put that back and bolted them together. What other part has to be lined up?

Again sorry for the stupidity on this but I have never messed with the internals of the tranny.

thanks
Old 10-17-2005, 05:22 PM
Banned

What do you mean by checking the teflon rings? are those behind the drum?
The ones that go on the back of the stator support and go into the reverse input drum, if they catch while trying to put it together laying down they can get beat up and leak.

I havent pulled the drum out yet
I'm getting confused here. You don't need to pull the pump to put the shift kit in, the boost valve goes into the pump but that can be changed by just dropping the pan with it in the car. The reason to take the trans apart to install the kit is to install the high rev 3-4 springs that are well into the input drum and require a clutch spring depressor to properly install the stiffer springs. And while you're there tighten up the 3-4 clutch clearance to .035-.045.

Also when you say the pump halves are you talking about the the two large parts that the pump is incased in or the actual pump?
The two large parts with the pump in the middle, are the pump halves, if you looked at the pump you took the pump halves apart.
There is a tool, a band that clamps around the pump halves to align them while you torque the bolts. You can cheat and put the pump assembly in a transmission case backwards to align them. Like when you take your input drum out put your pump in there backwards to align it.

I'll admit I am a little confused so I hope this makes sense.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:39 AM
11 Second Club

lol.. Yeah I understand Im not sure what anything is called lol.. I wish I could have found a diagram.

The problem was the pump halfs not being lined up. I fixed that and everything is in and ok.I pulled this part to check the pump and make sure it was ok because the tq converter wasnt working when I pulled the trans.

Thanks you helped a lot.