Sponsored by:

Engine Advise?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2005, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Engine Advise?

Hey everyone,
I need some help deciding on what should I do engine wise. I have a spare stock LS1 longblock, but right now in my car I have basically fresh rebuilt stock bottom iron block 6.0 with dished aluminum pistons, with a MS3 cam from TSP-237/242, .603"/.609", 113 LSA and lingenfelter ported and polished 853 heads. Im trying to see if its worth putting money into the short block? I want to put in the same cam in but with some fully ported and polished LS6 heads.

Should I build up the 5.7 or the 6.0?
Im not looking for a really big cubic inch motor, more of just strong enough so It will hopefully handle some light abuse
Im not sure what i should do to the block but I was thinking if i should get forged pistons, crank, rods, and if so what else?
If i do, do i have to do anything to the block itself to make it stronger?
Since the engine is going to be apart should I have it bored and stroked?
If so what should I know about having that done, Ups and Downs?
I basically what a strong motor with heads and cam, no extra power adder.

Or should I sell the 6.0 or 5.7 and get one thats already built?

TIA!
-Jesse
Old 10-17-2005, 12:37 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dont bore out a block if you dont have too. If i were you I would get AFR stage 2 heads, with a MTI cam, also if your running low on loot check out ls1speed.com they have a head and cam package from patriot for around 1500...thats a steal...But Leave the Ls1 a 5.7. if you bore it out..i dunno ya it would be more powerful and consume more fuel though...Oh with the hell of it get a 383 Stroker kit for ur LS1 and AFR heads with a radical cam man that engine WOULD SCREAM so bad at WOT that it would probably set off the knock sensors in the lil ricer ur racing..hehe..