Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Blown speaker- whats a good replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 01:33 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blown speaker- whats a good replacement?

Hey I blew a speaker a while ago and was wondering what would be a good, cheap speaker to replace it with. It is the one next to the passenger rear seat I believe, and its making my whole system sound like crap.

Heres my setup-
-stock factory speakers.
-Premier cd deck (link is below).
-10 inch JL Audio sub in the rear (I think the link below is the right sub).
-1200 watt, 5 way Kenwood amp (I couln't find a link to it).

So I have stock speakers right now, and I was told that with my amp I didn't need anything more than that. I think it sounds good, so I don't think I need anything that much better than what I got (unless you guys think differently). I already have a lot more money into my system than I wanted, so I was wondering which speakers I should go with that sound good and are cheap. Also, should I just replace the one, just the two by the back seats, or all my speakers? I'm leaning towards replacing just the two by the back seats and hope I don't blow any more, but can I get away with just replacing the blown one?

I had my stereo done at a shop and I don't know a whole lot about stereos, but I know a little. Any help is appreciated.

Radio link-
http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pn...496601,00.html

Im not sure if this is the right sub, but i think it is-
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_s...p?series_id=11
Old 10-17-2005, 05:18 PM
Teching In

Here's my 2¢ worth... I still have the stock Mansoon speakers in my car. (I've only had it 2 months now.) The front speakers are fine. The passenger rear speaker is blown, the driver's side is dead. The passenger hatch speaker is fine, the driver's side is MISSING! I had a 2002 Firebird before and was always happy with the stock system, so I'm leaning towards stock replacements. (I'm sure you guys will let us know WHY this is the wrong choice!)

From 2000BlkCamaroSS:
The monsoon speaker sizes are: front door - 6.5" or 6.5S", back seat - 6.5", rear hatch - 4".

The stock HU runs at 4 ohms and powers the front door tweeters and the rear hatch tweeters/mids.

The stock amp located next to the spare tire runs at 2 ohms and powers the midbass for the front door speakers and the back seat speakers.

The reason aftermarket speakers don't sound as good as the stock speakers while connected to the stock deck and amp is because most aftermarket speakers run at 4 ohms. Most people that want to run subs in the rear hatch area and also want to replace the back seat speakers may want to do something different than the way the stock speakers are set up. The way to do this is to pull the wires from the back hatch and plug them into the tweeter on the 3-way in the back seat and plug the midbass wires to the midbass terminal on the speaker.
Here's what I've found in my search for stock replacements:

Order from http://gmpartsdirect.com They seem to have the best prices, but I haven't checked on their shipping.

199?-2002 (Coupe)
6.5" front door speakers: P/N 9361859 for left and 9361869 for right (Not Verified)

6" DVC sail panel subs: P/N 9365799 $32.00 (Verified from my 2001 Formula)

4" rear hatch speakers: P/N 16259011 $10.44 (Verified from my 2001 Formula)

From WhiteBird00:
1999-2002 (These were listed for the Convertible)
Right front: 9361859 LIST: $79.80 OUR PRICE: $39.90
Left front: 9361869 LIST: $79.80 OUR PRICE: $39.90
Rears: 16257961 GM LIST: $90.00 OUR PRICE: $45.00

1998 (These were listed for the Convertible)
Front left: 9361929 GM LIST: $79.07 OUR PRICE: $39.54
Front right: 9361919 GM LIST: GM LIST: $78.14 OUR PRICE: $39.07
Rear: 16220771 GM LIST: $70.56 OUR PRICE: $35.28
The 98 speakers are listed as coax for the doors and thin coax for the rear under option code U62 (check for the option code on the driver's door sticker).

cassette head unit: P/N 9393372 GM LIST: $522.52 OUR PRICE: $261.26
cd head unit: P/N ????

From Ouija:
rear cd changer - 12 disc: P/N 12495743 GM LIST: $795.67 OUR PRICE: $397.83 (Origionally in a LT1, but works in my 2000 TA)
From WhiteBird00:
Power antenna: P/N 10402860 GM LIST: $143.52 OUR PRICE: $71.76
(P/N 10402859 is suppose to be fore the Camaro. It's a few dollars more, don't know why.) GM LIST: $149.28 OUR PRICE: $74.64
Aftermarket

Fronts:

[Quote]Alpine SPS-1005 Tweeters
Alpine SPS-170A 6 1/2's

Try the new Infinity Referance speakers also. They are a 2 Ohm design too.

I just saw those. They should work pretty good right?
KAPPA62.7I
Specifications:
Power Handling, RMS: 75 Watts
Power Handling, Peak: 225 Watts
Sensitivity: 94dB
Frequency Response: 45Hz - 25kHz
Mounting Depth: 2-3/16"
Impedance: 2 Ohms[?Quote]

Sail Panel (Back Seat):

Have you considered the ones Rogue Leader recommended?
Rockford Fosgate RFP4406 6.5" Subs. $121.00/pair shipped ($42.00/each + shipping)
18 Available Here: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...AMEWN%3AIT&rd=1
Ordered, received, and installed mine last week. Direct replacement, sound great.
Hope this helps!

1stbird

2001 Firebird Formula
Purchased 8/19/2005

LS1
6 Speed (M6)
Ram Air Hood (Dealer Installed)
Ram Air Box (Dealer Installed)
K&N Air Filter
CAGS Eliminator
DRL Disable

Black on Black
No T-Tops
GM Factory Bra
Pilot Motorsports Shiftknob
Pilot Motorsports Pedal Covers

"My old lady left me and took my Firebird the other day. Damn, I miss that car!"
Old 10-18-2005, 06:02 AM
TECH Resident

You know the longer you keep that and copy and paste it, the 2 months owned will at least have to be changed......
Very good info in one place good job.
I have found it to be useful also. Thnks
Old 10-18-2005, 06:49 PM
Staging Lane

Thanks for the info.

I'm a little confused about that reply though, lol.
This is what I got from it...
With a stock system, stock speakers sound best because they run at the same Ohms. But since I have an aftermarket deck and amp, would aftermarket speakers sound better? And would aftermarket speakers have a less likely chance of blowing again?

And am I reading this right from the reply, that these would be the right stock replacement speakers I would need?
6" DVC sail panel subs: P/N 9365799 $32.00 (Verified from my 2001 Formula)
If those are the ones I need, thats cheap enough for me.

And also, my car is a '97, I forgot to mention that. That doesn't make a difference does it?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

you can change the speakers but stock speakers are 2 ohms and the typical aftermarket speaker is usually 4 ohms so it will be totally different sounding from stock in a worst way
Old 10-18-2005, 08:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not necessarily true, Matt. Yes, you may have to crank the volume a little her when changing from the stock 2ohm speaker to aftermarket 4 ohm speakers as they would draw less power. But that in no way means the aftermarket speakers would sound worse. In fact a decent set of aftermarket speakers will sound way better than stock. I know with my SS, I have a complete stock Monsoon System, except for the door speakers, and rear hatch speakers. Both of which I replaced with Alpines. Even though the mids in the doors went from 2 ohm to 4 ohm, it made a hardly detectable difference in the volume. BUt the difference in clarity between the Alpine and stock was tremendous. I get more bass from the doors and much more midrange (something that was terribly lacking with the stock speakers).

Predator, I haven't a clue why you would change out the amp and head unit and leave the weakest link (speakers) in the system in place. But I think you'd be very pleased with the improved sound quality you'd get with a decent pair of aftermarket speakers. With an amp capable of 1200W, you could do much better than the stock speakers. If you want to stick with a 2ohm setup, look into the Image Dynamics CXS62's.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:54 PM
Staging Lane

I'm still new to this stereo thing, so I didn't know that the speakers would be a weak link. I was told that my stock speakers would work fine with my setup and wouldn't take away from the system at all. I only know a little here and a little there, so I just listened and said OK.
Will I really get a lot more out of my system with aftermarket speakers? And if so, how noticeable of a difference would it be? Like I said, I already have more into my system than I wanted to, so money is a factor. But then again, if I can fully use and get the money out of my current system by upgrading the speakers, then I'm willing to fork over a few more dollars.
Also, if the problem between 2 ohm and 4 ohm is that it just takes more power (am I understanding this right?), then my 1200 watt amp and head unit should be able to handle it without much problem, right?
Thanks again for all the info.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Not exactly. Put simply, your HU/Amp outputs a certain voltage at a certain volume setting. Turn the volume up, increases the voltage. Since speakers effectively have a fixed load resistance, increasing the voltage, increases the current flowing thru speaker coil, which produces louder sounds. Going from 2 ohms to 4, you are doubling the load resistance, which in effect halves the current flow at the same volume (voltage) setting. Since power (P) is equal to voltage (E) times current (I), this means the 4 ohm speakers are drawing half the power. So, you find yourself having to turn the volume up a bit more to get the same loudness out. This won't hurt the amp at all.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:57 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, I think I understand a little.
I guess my main question then is am I wasting tons of potential from my system with stock speakers, and if I am, how much of a difference will I notice going from stock to decent (aka not too expensive) aftermarket speakers. I'm pretty happy with what I have, but I know you can always sound better.

And I guess I have a few more questions. I just want to clear things up because ive been reading a lot and dont want to get information mixed up.
I have a '97 Trans Am, non WS6, so what exactly do I have stereo-wise? I don't have Monsoon, correct? (thats all everyone seems to talk about around here, lol- everyones blowing monson speakers.) And I have 2 Ohm speakers? And are there any differences in the speakers from year to year, 93-2002?

Last edited by 97PredatorTA; 10-18-2005 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:54 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm not entirely sure what year the Monsoon system started being used in Fbodys. I know they go back to at least '98. I believe they were available in all version of Firebirds and Camaros. Although, as a factory option in most models (maybe it was optional in all). I know there are different speakers used it the Firebirds than in the Camaros. There was a Bose stereo system that pre-dates the Monsoon, but I don't know which years that was used or the details of that system.

Since this forum is dedicate to vehicles with the LS1 engine, and the LS1 engine was first used in the Fbody in '98, most Fbody folks on this forum have or had the Monsoon system in their rides.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:33 AM
On The Tree

Hm, does anyone know if my 94' Trans Am Still has 2ohms factory speakers then up front? Or what does it have? Would monsoon speakers from a 98+ F-body work in them?
Old 10-19-2005, 04:52 PM
On The Tree

Bump... need to know this asap
Old 10-20-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Do your door speakers have seperately mount tweeters? You'd see about 1 inch diameter grill above the 7" grill for the woofer. That's the T/A setup for a Monsoon system. I'm not sure if they used the same speaker arrangement in pre-monsoon systems. IF it doesn't have the seperately mounted tweeter, then I'm fairly sure it's not a Monsoon. There are pictures on other threads to compare it to.

You could take call a dealer and find out what the stock part number for a door speaker for your T/A is. They may even know off hand if the Monsoon was used in a '94.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Another thing I'd suggest is to simply get a nice set of after market 4 ohm speakers, and not worry about what the stock speakers are. You'll get better sound out of them anyway.
Old 10-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Staging Lane

I replaced my stock monsoons on the doors with infinities, placed one inch Boss tweeters on the doors directly behind the door side view mirrors (you cant really see them), left the monsoons in the rear, and are run with a DHD amp. It has exceeded my expectations. Its loud, strong, and clear. I really like it.

Quick Reply: Blown speaker- whats a good replacement?