Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Jailtime in michigan for tinted windows

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 02:56 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Jailtime in michigan for tinted windows

NEW BILL TRYING TO BE PASSED INTO MICHIGAN STATE LAW: $500 FINE AND UP TO 90 DAYS IN JAIL FOR HAVING TINTED WINDOWS!

HERE IS THE ARTICLE FROM THE PAPER!!!!!

By KANIQUA S. DANIEL
Of The Oakland Press

A bill introduced by Cherry, D-Burton, would stiffen penalties for illegal window tints with a $500 fine and up to 90 days in jail.

Currently, the offense is a civil infraction with fines determined by the jurisdiction in which the violation occurs. In most cases, an offender can have the tint removed within 30 days to avoid fines, which are usually about $90 with no points added to the license.

Window tinting was in the news this past week when Detroit Piston Darko Milicic was stopped by Sterling Heights police because of dark windows on his 2004 Audi. He said he had been driving it for more than a year and didn't know it was illegal.

Lt. Gerry Scherlinck of the Troy Police Department said window tint can be up to only 35 percent in terms of darkness on a vehicle's windshield and passenger- and driver-side windows, and the tint can not exceed 4 inches.

"You can do whatever you please to the back windows," he said. "When you see some of these cars that are totally darked out, that's illegal. It poses a threat to police officers (and emergency workers) trying to see inside the car."

Denise Flannery, legislative aide for Cherry, whose district includes a portion of Oakland County, said the bill was introduced in response to a recent event in which a police officer was concerned for his safety.

"We feel the current fines are not enough to deter the illegal use of window tinting," she said.

The bill has been referred to the Senate Committee on Transportation.

The only exemption to the current legislation is a signed doctor's note specifying the tint is needed for vision problems.

Leticia Weatherby, a 22-year-old nurse's aide from Waterford Township, said she has been pulled over at least twice for her tinted windows, which she said allows officers to see inside her vehicle.

Weatherby owns a twodoor 1996 Monte Carlo and had all of the windows, except the windshield, tinted in February.

"I was under the impression that the tint shop only did the legal amount," she said. "I agree people shouldn't be allowed to tint windows so darkly that it causes a problem with the law. But I don't understand why they allow these shops to apply illegal tint but ticket you for it."

Weatherby said it costs about $179 to have the windows tinted and about $300 to have the tint removed.

"I'm not taking it off," she said. "I had the windows tinted to keep the sun out of my face and out of my child's face. If it's illegal for people to have the tint, it should be illegal for the shops to put it on."

There are no laws prohibiting the installation of illegal tint. Roger Griffi ths, outside sales coordinator with Ameristar Auto Outfi tters in Waterford, which specializes in window tinting, said his company does warn customers of the consequences of illegal window tinting but will still perform the work.

Flannery said including window-tinting businesses in the bill was "not the direction we're taking right now."

Sgt. Nathaniel McQueen with the Michigan State Police said one of the issues is tinted windows are also offered by manufacturers.

"In some areas, such as Arizona and Texas, it's legal because of the heat index," he said. "There needs to be a regulation stating it is illegal for a secondary vendor to put it on. Otherwise, you run into problems with manufacturers.

"This is really something the state needs to look into. I would think anyone proposing legislation to increase the penalty for illegal tinting should include the businesses that are putting this tint on the windows." John Sturk and Kevin Curtin of the Capital News Service contributed to this story.

FLOOD HER EMAIL WITH COMPLAINTS, AND GET HER OUT OF OFFICE!
SenDCherry@senate.michigan.gov
Old 10-17-2005, 03:26 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hate this damn state.

Why cant we be more like Ohio with no tint laws or helmet laws?
Old 10-17-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ohio has a tint law, nothing under 35%. They have to be able to see you.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:36 PM
On The Tree

Interesting article.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:53 PM
TECH Resident

if only the gov't knew how much better these cars looked with tint, no front plates etc.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:57 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by silver30th
if only the gov't knew how much better these cars looked with tint, no front plates etc.
hahah i do agree with you, but you guys will get used to it... i live in Cali, no tint what so ever is allowed. But still, i am running 20% all around
Old 10-17-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by silver30th
Can't be said much better then that! I can understand having a tinting limit I guess, for the cops own safety and what not, but no tint at all...?? BOOO! And I think the front license plates bite the big one too... (Thankfully we don't have those yet (sigh) in PA, but our state can't make up it's mind with stupid emissions...)
Old 10-17-2005, 05:31 PM
TECH Addict

WTF do these idiots have nothing better to do than think up the next moronic thing to try and make a law about.
You have SUVs from the factory with 20% tint on the back windows, you don't see them bitching about that, that's ok it keeps the little kids cool bikes with exhaust louder than the average car with open headers, no bitching there, that saves lives, yeah right, so our loud exhausts don't...... WTF
Every one in Michigan needs to remember this stupid bitches name, and vote her and her cronies out in the next election.
All you Michigan folks need to email the **** out of her, and tell her that this bill better be withdrawn or she's out of a job come next election
Old 10-17-2005, 06:26 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they shouldnt be allowed to ticket you if you roll down all your windows before they get up to the car if youre pulled over, then there really is no point to not allowing tint, other than $$
Old 10-17-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Regular

These people have to create their own false sense of job security by complaining about things that don't warrant complaint. They are running out of justification for even having the job to begin with.

Like that lady in Florida who complained there weren't enough hurricanes named after African Americans.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:51 PM
TECH Junkie

wow, are you serious, I hope she gets hit by a bus , what a retard, whine about something stupider
Old 10-17-2005, 07:17 PM
VSJ
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by GotV-8
Ohio has a tint law, nothing under 35%. They have to be able to see you.
But they can tint the front windows 35%, whereas we cant have anything up front.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:20 PM
Launching!

petition???? tint laws are gay as hell, my dads 2005 magnum has tint from the factory.....
Old 10-17-2005, 07:28 PM
Launching!

petition???? tint laws are gay as hell, my dads 2005 magnum has tint from the factory.....
Old 10-17-2005, 08:00 PM
Flossin' twin turbos

thats stupid
Old 10-17-2005, 08:04 PM
Launching!

I figure as a Michigan resident, the fact that we don't have emission testing or front license plates makes it about equal for me.

My tint story:
I had a 98 Camaro. Black. I had the back window done very dark. I left the sides alone. Well, I'm sitting at this horrible intersection that is a cross street for 2 very busy roads with 2 lanes in each direction and a turn lane. Plus there is a railroad crossing right there. So, you have a combination of problems when traffic is heavy and a train goes through.

I'm sitting there with my windows down and waiting for a train and the lights. I'm there for like 15 minutes. Well this whole time, 2 state police officers are in a squad car in the next lane and about 1.5 cars back. I can see them in my mirror looking over my car and talking amongst themselves while looking at it the whole time we are stuck waiting. I think they even ran my plate as well.

Well, the train is gone and now we are trying to get through this painfully short light. When we will finally be the next group to go, the cop in the passenger seat yells over at me to roll up my window. I don't want any trouble and I know that its not tinted, so I won't have a problem. I comply and he says, "Ok, you can go."

I was so pissed, I almost reported them. They sat there for 15 minutes looking me and my car over looking for something to harass me on. I have a perfect driving record and was doing nothing wrong. The car was fine too, except for the taillight blackouts.
Old 05-26-2008, 07:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by FLA02TA
These people have to create their own false sense of job security by complaining about things that don't warrant complaint. They are running out of justification for even having the job to begin with.

Like that lady in Florida who complained there weren't enough hurricanes named after African Americans.
Old 05-26-2008, 09:31 AM
Staging Lane

I dont understand why people bitch about the tints on cars!!!!!!! This law will not be passed!!!!
Old 05-26-2008, 10:14 AM
TECH Addict

its a stupid lay i think here in illinois we arent allowed to have tints. but they passed a law i believe in rockford that if you can hear your sterio over 75 feet away they are allowed to impound your car and a 1500 fine
Old 05-26-2008, 10:18 AM
11 Second Club

Location: Your girl's back door giving her the long stroke while you're at work

Holy **** this thread is 2 1/2 years old

Kudos on using search though

Quick Reply: Jailtime in michigan for tinted windows