Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

is it cheaper to...

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 05:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default is it cheaper to...

to buy an in dash dvd/cd player and get a seperate screen and mount it or to get one of the dvd/cd/motorized screens? Im thinking about getting this done then wiring in my xbox to it.

Anybody wired in a game system into their cars? how hard is it anyways? i think the hardest part is powering it.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Q.1) It can go both ways. I've seen more cheaper systems done with a couple of boxes instead of just 1, but that can be harder to wire up and sometimes isn't all that much of a savings over an Indash. So, either way. Just do some shopping around and come here for advice.

Q.2) Easy. Only hard part is to find a place to put it. There are a bunch of ways to install any gaming consol in the car. Power is not hard either. Just find an Inverter. (DC-AC, Convertor is AC-DC). They are getting cheaper by the minute because of the rapidly expanding mobile entertainment sector. Walmart is a good place to look for one. Just need to match the Wattage output with the counsol's input.

Example. My 2003 X-box uses an input voltage of 100-127 (110 Common) Vac @ 2.1A. What that means in wattage is this: (Voltage X Amprage = Watt) 231 watts. You'll need an Invertor cable of supplying that amount of Wattage to the X-Box.

So, Here is what you'd maybe want to get for the X-Box install:

1.) Extender cables for the controllers.
2.) X-Box DVD Remote.

It's not that hard to install once you get started. It only get's hard when you try to find a place to put it. The Cubby on the D.S. makes a good spot, but alot of people but a subthump there. You also need to have airspace around the X-Box because it needs to shed the heat it creates.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i was thinking of putting it where the 12 disk cd changer is, i removed mine a while ago, i was thinking about welding on a pipe on each side and straping it in so the faceplate is facing the bottom of the trunk. Do you think the wireless controllers would work for it? i do have some cord extensions but i think it would be sweet to use the wireless.