Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need help...new to LS1's...oil in intake and black suit in heads???

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 08:49 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help...new to LS1's...oil in intake and black suit in heads???

I am new to this site...and have tried to look up some info on this...but havent found much. I bought a used motor from a 1999 Camaro with 66k on it for a 1994 S10 Swap. I was doing some routine checks and decided since the TB needed cleanin I would also take off the intake and clean it up. When i Pulled it i turned it on its side and about 1/4 cup of oil poured out of it. I started to be concerned. I also noticed the intake ports on the heads are very black and covered in a suit/goo mix. I have read about PCV having bad blow by and causing nasty looking intake ports...but I find this to be a little excessive in my own mind. I am hoping that you more experienced people can help ease me mind. I am attaching some photos to help you visualize. Thank you before hand.
Attached Thumbnails Need help...new to LS1's...oil in intake and black suit in heads???-dsc00816-2-.jpg   Need help...new to LS1's...oil in intake and black suit in heads???-dsc00817-2-.jpg   Need help...new to LS1's...oil in intake and black suit in heads???-dsc00818-2-.jpg  
Old 10-17-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's normal man. LS-1's have horrible PCV systems. Best thing to do is clean it up, and install a catch can in line of the PCV system. This is the most popular fix among the LS-1 crowd. You could also try the LS6 PCV system, but it does require some modifacation in the lifter valley. Nothing bad though.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

So whats the best way to clean this up....is there a way to do it with the heads on. or do you think it would be a better idea to take them of and clean them. or have them cleaned. And heck...while they are off...i have heard there is also some issues with Valve Seals...so maybe I should get the heads gone through also. Just wondering if I can clean them myself on OR off the motor. Thanks for your help.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Haha 1st off take the black suit out of the intake - thats clogging it up im sure

The soot can be cleaned with some carb cleaner. i wouldnt pull them off just to clean them. If you have the $ get them cnc ported, milled and get new valvespring kit with new seals, locks etc
Old 10-18-2005, 02:27 PM
On The Tree

Time allowing, I would take everything apart and clean it all up. Just oil any machined surfaces that are going to be exposed to air that normally are not. Pretty easy to get around the top half of the motor in the car...buy lots of carb cleaner!
Old 10-18-2005, 06:55 PM
Banned

Hey, those looks just like my heads an intake!

The PCV sucks, and I run the LS6 conversion with a catch can and still can't keep it from filling my new intake with oil. I have though cleaned the intake runners on the heads and the entire intake itself with Carb cleaner several dozen times.

If you REALLY want to hit it thorough, do a search for GM Top End Cleaner. I've only run it a few times, but boy does it make a difference!

Welcome, and be sure to show some pics of the Truck in the Hybrids/Conversions section!

Quick Reply: Need help...new to LS1's...oil in intake and black suit in heads???