PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speedo is off.. Will it effect shift points?

Old 10-17-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Speedo is off.. Will it effect shift points?

This may be a little confusing.. i'll try my best to explain..

Well i am just wondering.. for when i go to the track.. My car was tuned for 3.70 gears.. and now i'm back to 3.23's.. My speedo seems to be anywhere from 5-10 mph slow.. So if i'm going 65 i'm really going 70-75 MPH..

Now my shift points are set up for around 6500.. But since my speedo is off.. will it effect my Tachometer for when i'm trying to manually shift from 1st to second in my A4?

Will the tuning all change on the shift points because of it.. for say my shift points are at 6500.. will it shift higher becuase my computer senses i'm at a lower RPM or Speed?

Sorry if this is confusing.. If anyone could let me know i'd appreciate it! Sort of important for the track.. don't wanna take my engine over 6700 rpms and hit a rev limiter! when my tach only shows 6500 or less! that wouldn't be good!

Thanks for any help!!
Old 10-17-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if the PCM is not aware of your current rear gear.... then yes, shift poinst will be off, lockup points will be off, your odometer will be off, your speedometer will be off

The Tachometer (stock) is always of (or slow rather).. don't manually shift... the computer is faster than you anyways.... if you insist on manually shifting (instead of doing the right thing and having the PCM updated) then I would majorly short shift..... you don't want to go past 6700... shift when you see 5700

get the rear gear ratio updated in the PCM and you're fine..... Manually shifting a 4L60E is pointless.... unless you want to bounce the rev limiter eventually (when you move 1-2 it's not instant .. there's a built in delay)
Old 10-17-2005, 10:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea the only problem is finding time to get it adjusted.. Its like an hour drive to my tuner.. but i'll see what i can do.. i'll call him up and see if he can get me in sometime.. I'll just short shift at 5700.. but will the computer still go past 6500 when i jut put it in drive and mat on it? i may wanna try to get to a tuner ASAP if thats the case.. i don't wanna ruin anything.. Thanks
Old 10-18-2005, 07:56 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A4's have a mph and rpm trigger for shifting. It should still shift at 6500. Your rev limiter should still kick in. Assuming the limiter is set for 6700, you will not overrev. The only issue will be whether the mph trigger was causing the car to start its shift. If it was, then the shift lag may cause you to hit the limiter.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

alright cool.. well my shift points are at 6500 but if i hold it in 1st he has iit set to 6700.. so it should still shift at 6500 because of the mph trigger.. but will show a different RPM when i really shift.. so aslong as it shifts at 6500 when i leave it in drive and mat on it.. then its fine for the track.. i am trying to find a day to get it tuned.. but it isn't looking good before track day.. I'll take it out and let it rev up and see where it shifts when i leave it in drive.. Thanks for the help

Search this Thread