New LS1 Owners - Newbie Tech Basic Technical Questions & Advice
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

should I spend $600 to fix my oil leak, or put that money towards a forged 346?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2005, 10:24 PM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default should I spend $600 to fix my oil leak, or put that money towards a forged 346?

Alright guys, i need your opinion. I have an oil leak on my car due to some pore's in teh block from casting that are now leaking oil because of the higher volume of the ls6 pump, the car has 135k on it and it'll cost me $600 to get it fixed. Now i was wanting to get a rebuild next summer before i knew about this. Im going to start saving for a new motor, nothing crazy, i just want a forged 346 w/ls6 heads and a bigger cam then the 224, I figure it will take me about 10 months to have the money i need for this and to get the tranny upgraded too, (no laughing, im in school dang it!) Now the leak doesnt bother me, and in the end its only a leak. Now what would you guys do, spend the $600 to get the leak fixed and begin to save for the motor, or put the $600 toward the motor and live w/the leak. Do you think its possible that the problem can get worse? since there were bubbles in teh cast i dont see how it can, but i dont know (IMPORTANT POINT). It also does get on my o2's after awhile, but i dont mind spraying them down (externaly) w/carb cleaner to take care of it. What do you guys think?
Old 10-17-2005, 10:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well the $600 will buy alot of cleaner and O2s, so if you're going to replace the motor anyway, live with the leak (keep an eye on the oil level and the O2 condition) and start saving for the new motor
Old 10-18-2005, 07:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 2K2WS6TA
Well the $600 will buy alot of cleaner and O2s, so if you're going to replace the motor anyway, live with the leak (keep an eye on the oil level and the O2 condition) and start saving for the new motor

The engine is high miles... if it was lower miles it would be worth saving it but at 135k miles.... just save for the new engine and when you pull this one out, sell it and I'm positive someone will grab it up for a decent price
Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

if its not a major leak id just save up and keep an eye on it.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say fix the leak.

My past vehicles have leaked oil and it felt like a god send the day I fixed the leaks -my vehicle used to leave oil tracks every were I went.
Old 10-18-2005, 10:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

I'd wait. Who knows what kinda special one of the sponsers will run 10 months from now.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:07 PM
jrp
SN95 Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

how did you determine the block was porous and that was the sole cause of the oil leak. thats first i've ever heard of this.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:13 PM
10 Second Club

depends, if its your daily you might want to fix the leak

if you have something else that you could drive if it takes a dump i wouldnt fix it
Old 10-18-2005, 11:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jrp
how did you determine the block was porous and that was the sole cause of the oil leak. thats first i've ever heard of this.
was wondering same thing
Old 10-19-2005, 01:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jrp
Well i had a leak from the rear main that i had fixed before the shop was about to work on the tune, once the street tune was done they had it on the dyno (off ground w/a lift) and noticed it as still leaking oil, we searched for about 10 mins, check by the fly wheel, dry, it was leaking around the oil filter, and first thought it was the oil pan gasket, but we took a mirror and flash light up by the channel that feeds to the crank (externally) and sprayed cleaner up there to clean the surface, started the car and the oil formed from what looked like know where. The owner of the shop said he remembers reading an article written by a tech that helped design the LS1, and said in quite a few 97 and some 98's (apparently a very small amount of 98's made production) they found that the block was porous in certain areas. He said hes only seen it on vettes, so mine is one of the few. We determined that the problem wouldnt be as bad if it was still on the stock ls1 oil pump, but since i have more volume w/this one, and the rear main leak is fixed there is more pressure on these pores.

IMPORTANT QUESTION: Should i have them finish off the dyno tune? I dont see its possible to get worse since its a casting problem and i dont see how the pores can expand, i may be wrong, lt me know if i am. They suggested i hold off on the tune until i decide what tod o.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jrp
It's one of those manufacturing processes that hadn't been completly refined by the time the engine made it into full production. The aluminum is more pourous than an iron block, and in certain areas the block was cast a little thin.... the combination of the two can cause a higher mileage motor to leak oil through the block.

GM has been fighting this battle for a while. In some Cadillac's in the early 90's (I believe the Allante) they had an all aluminum v8, with displacement on demand technology. They were pretty much the early north star engines. They had the same problem with aluminum blocks, pourous, and oil leaks.
Old 10-19-2005, 05:48 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by SporkLover
It's one of those manufacturing processes that hadn't been completly refined by the time the engine made it into full production. The aluminum is more pourous than an iron block, and in certain areas the block was cast a little thin.... the combination of the two can cause a higher mileage motor to leak oil through the block.

GM has been fighting this battle for a while. In some Cadillac's in the early 90's (I believe the Allante) they had an all aluminum v8, with displacement on demand technology. They were pretty much the early north star engines. They had the same problem with aluminum blocks, pourous, and oil leaks.
Do you know what the owners of the earlier aluminum v8's did? I mean did GM fix it, or did they just live with it etc?
Old 10-19-2005, 07:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98NBM_TransAm
Do you know what the owners of the earlier aluminum v8's did? I mean did GM fix it, or did they just live with it etc?
I have to remember my sources before I can answer that..... I picked up some of the info from reading, and some from watching the History channel.

Quick Reply: should I spend $600 to fix my oil leak, or put that money towards a forged 346?