Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spinning will add mph?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 12:03 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Spinning will add mph?

I've heard it said that spinning your tires off the line will add mph to your time slip. Is there a limit to this? Wouldn't it start to subtract after a certain point?
Old 10-18-2005, 09:10 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

As far as drag racing is concerned, MPH isn't nearly as important as ET.

Spinning your tires at launch could contribute to a higher MPH since the car tends to make up some of the lost ET with speed. A big speed and a slower ET usually mean the car lost traction at some point in the run. It's sort of a trade off.

To me, I'd take a lower ET over a bigger MPH any day.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:16 AM
12 Second Club

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

When I switched to my MT Steet ETs before 14.145 @ 99.94 after 13.699 @ 96.73. I lost almost 3 MPH but gained .5 seconds. I'd take the .5 second anyday.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:42 PM
12 Second Club

So as much as 3 mph can be gained through spinning, so far. Anyone else?
Old 10-18-2005, 01:43 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta
No doubt. I don't mean to say I'm TRYING to induce this condition, I just want to know for the purposes of interpreting time slips. If I see a high MPH, I want to know how much of it could be due to spinning.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, it's going to add mph, but your et is going to suck.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:55 PM
11 Second Club

When you are under-geared or under-stalled, spinning helps trap speed by keeping the engine rpms closer to the powerband. A deadhook while under-geared or under-stalled will bog until the engine gets into the powerband.

With the right gear and stall, spinning will hurt trap speed. So, that explains why some say spinning helps and others say it hurts.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by monicaz28
Yeah, it's going to add mph, but your et is going to suck.
Yes, yes, that is known. That's not the point of my question.
Old 10-18-2005, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To a point, isn't trap speed independent of traction and dependant on horsepower? The reason you lose speed with slicks is they grow and distort so they reduce your gear ratio and "suck up" some hosepower. I doubt you can attribute all of that 3 mph loss to slicks, or attribute a 3 mph gain to spinning. I can see how dead hooking an undergeared car will hurt it, lol that's why ricers have to clutch dump their civics at 6k rpm, they make no power down low. But I don't think that spinning in more optimally geared car will decrease your trap speed. Taking out variables such as weather, shifting time, as long as you're at full throttle, you should run right around x trap speed all the time. Someone willing to try it at the track? Try a 6k clutch dump and then try a normal launch and see if the traps differ! This might be only for street tires though because I believe slicks are a little less consistent trap speed wise because of growth and such.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:26 PM
12 Second Club

I tried it at the track. My street tires and my MT street radials are both 255/50R16. I have a 2800 stall and 3.73s.
Old 10-18-2005, 05:48 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by y2k_ta

Spinning your tires at launch could contribute to a higher MPH since the car tends to make up some of the lost ET with speed. A big speed and a slower ET usually mean the car lost traction at some point in the run. It's sort of a trade off.

To me, I'd take a lower ET over a bigger MPH any day.
Good call! MPH can be an indicator of hp, but at the same time, it's the e.t. that matters most. I've launched my auto at numerous different rpms, and the mph doesn't change too much. Keep in mind that the mph at the track is measured as the distance between the first timer box and the actual finish line (called the speed trap or why they use trap speed) traveled, and that's why it can higher/lower than what your actual speedometer reads.

Spinning at the line also keeps the rpm higher unless you lift, and that can sometimes help to avoid the bog referred to earlier, thus higher mph at times. Sticky tires and/or slicks can take away mph due to friction, contact patch and the flexible sidewalls versus a street radial, but it can be a lot or very little, if anything. My Nova will MPH within .20 when swapping between my 275/60/15 std radials and my 28 x 11.5 x 15 ET Streets (actual measurement is 27.5 x 8.9).

Derek
Old 10-18-2005, 05:59 PM
12 Second Club

The purpose here is measurement of a car's power output via it's mph. I'd like to know how much this can be distorted by "spinning off the line."
Old 10-18-2005, 06:00 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Villain281H
Good call! MPH can be an indicator of hp, but at the same time, it's the e.t. that matters most. I've launched my auto at numerous different rpms, and the mph doesn't change too much. Keep in mind that the mph at the track is measured as the distance between the first timer box and the actual finish line (called the speed trap or why they use trap speed) traveled, and that's why it can higher/lower than what your actual speedometer reads.

Spinning at the line also keeps the rpm higher unless you lift, and that can sometimes help to avoid the bog referred to earlier, thus higher mph at times. Sticky tires and/or slicks can take away mph due to friction, contact patch and the flexible sidewalls versus a street radial, but it can be a lot or very little, if anything. My Nova will MPH within .20 when swapping between my 275/60/15 std radials and my 28 x 11.5 x 15 ET Streets (actual measurement is 27.5 x 8.9).

Derek
What is you 60 ft times both ways?
Old 10-18-2005, 06:08 PM
On The Tree

This guy runs a 8.068 at only 97.89 mph! So I suspect in this case spinning the tires caused him to lose MPH. And ET.

I only mention this to show there is no real way to tell if spinning the tires adds mph in a 1/4 mile run. If you spin them all the way through you will lose mph.

Right Lane: John Force Runs 8.068/97.89 mph

ENNIS, Texas - DALLAS - Notes from round 3 qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series, 20th annual O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals presented by Castrol Syntec listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:
Old 10-19-2005, 06:58 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by fastlt1
What is you 60 ft times both ways?
1.716 on street tires, 1.576 on the ET Streets.

Derek
Old 10-19-2005, 06:59 AM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by warpwr
This guy runs a 8.068 at only 97.89 mph! So I suspect in this case spinning the tires caused him to lose MPH. And ET.

I only mention this to show there is no real way to tell if spinning the tires adds mph in a 1/4 mile run. If you spin them all the way through you will lose mph.

Right Lane: John Force Runs 8.068/97.89 mph

ENNIS, Texas - DALLAS - Notes from round 3 qualifying in Funny Car at the NHRA POWERade Drag Racing Series, 20th annual O'Reilly NHRA Fall Nationals presented by Castrol Syntec listing lane, driver name, elapsed time/top speed this round, position in order following run, best prior elapsed time/speed, and position in order prior to run:
I don't think we can introduce a Funny Car pass to the argument...
Old 10-19-2005, 01:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nuzee
When you are under-geared or under-stalled, spinning helps trap speed by keeping the engine rpms closer to the powerband. A deadhook while under-geared or under-stalled will bog until the engine gets into the powerband.

With the right gear and stall, spinning will hurt trap speed. So, that explains why some say spinning helps and others say it hurts.
couldn't have said it better myself. most 6 speeds, spinning increases the mph alot wheras stalled autos (like mine) i actually loose 1-2mph if i get a 1.9 or higher 60ft (from spinning). also sometimes the car spins a little then hooks HARD which throws the car forward and gives you some extra momentum/mph. i think everybody with drag radials have experienced this.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

There's really no limit on how much mph you can gain or ET you can lose from spinning. Look at some of the faster FWDs at the track. It's not uncommon to see a fast Honda running a 13.0@125 or something.
Old 10-19-2005, 04:39 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BADFNZ
There's really no limit on how much mph you can gain or ET you can lose from spinning. Look at some of the faster FWDs at the track. It's not uncommon to see a fast Honda running a 13.0@125 or something.
Ah, but does MPH still indicate power? If I took the same car and threw crappy tires on it so that they would spin, would there be *no limit* to the amount of MPH that would be added?

Or did you just mean to say that there is no limit to the amount of spread between ET's and MPH's?
Old 10-19-2005, 05:17 PM
TECH Regular

PLEASE feel free to use me as an example!!!!
Everyone tells me my car is slow for the mods. So feel free to tear me up, I know I can't launch.
I am running 12.8 @ 112 MPH
I either launch slow , or I spin through second feathering the gas, on street tires
close 1/4 results in times. 60' is 1.9 to 2.2 average. Now, my friend got 12.1 @ 110 MPH. OK we are both confused, so be both decided to be the winner and drink to ourselves....LMAO
PS worst part is ...I built his car 383 blown vette....nothing like beating yourself

Quick Reply: Spinning will add mph?