Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Confused by ported box specs

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2005, 04:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Confused by ported box specs

Ok, I have one JL12W3V2 that I'm going to be building a ported box for. I have the dimensions from JL's instruction booklet with a recommendation for the port to be tuned to 30.8 Hz. I'm confused by this idea of a "tuned port". Does it mean if the port is tuned to 30.8 Hz and what would it change if I tuned the port higher than 30.8? Also.. I have a subsonic filter on my Alpine amp that is set for 30Hz... what will this change if anything?
Old 10-18-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

you tune a box so that the speaker/box combo will be most effecient at that frequency. What was most likely reccomened was where the sub/box combo will make the flattest db vs frequency curve. Download WinISD, it can show you alil better on how tuned boxes work. http://www.linearteam.org/winisd.html
Old 10-18-2005, 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

30.8hz is the -3db roll off which means that once you get to that frequency (and lower) you will rapidly lose your frequency response. 30.8hz is a great roll off because most bass notes are around 40+. I wouldn’t try to change that frequency.

In this graph, the red curve will show you a -3db roll off at around 22 Hz.
After this point it the response of the box dramatically diminishes.