Manual Transmission T56 | T5 | MN12 | Clutches | Hydraulics | Shifters

Problem with shifter

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 01:02 AM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Problem with shifter

I got my car back today, and Immediately threw the pro 5.0 on it, following install university's instructions

The problem I'm having is, Unless I'm very careful when shifting, it will shoot down to the left, from first to second, or all the way up and right past 2nd to 3rd, making it impossible to shift fast let alone power shift.

I can get it in gear but even though I adjusted the stops, it's almost like its missing the stops. But I know they are in place and set right.

I'm at a loss
Old 10-19-2005, 03:27 AM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Upon further inspection I think that it's not down into position all the way, but enough to where I can get it into gear in certain positions

I'm th esecond owner of the car and I could tell that it had been taken apart once (because one of the 4 bolts holding down the shifter was longer and had a nut between it and the base plate to make it fit)

But what could be makin it not go down all the way? It's bolted down and torqued to recomended specs, I just don't get it.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:23 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

ttt....
Old 10-20-2005, 07:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the plastic bushing is missing / broken/ out of place between the shifter and the rail lever in the trans.
Old 10-20-2005, 03:47 PM
Vax
TECH Apprentice

Problem solved!

Turns out the shifter that was on it had some kind of a spacer between the tranny and the baseplate of the shifter, I didn't realize it due to grime, I got in there and cleaned it up on the outside of the housing a bunch and then removed the spacer

smooth non-missing shifts now