Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

If the converter wasn't installed all the way what would happen

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default If the converter wasn't installed all the way what would happen

I have a few posts going asking about possiable problems with my new converter install and trying to rule out a few things.. Ok just had the converter installed a few days ago and wonder if the install was done right.. IF they didnt install the converter all the way on the shaft what problems would i see.(that is a big if, i think they installed it correctly, but then again i just have to ask). I do know that if the converter isnt installed all the way it wont engague the pump and by by tranny.. What would be the signs of an incorrect install of the converter..

Just to let you know im having problems with the lock up shuddering under lite throttle while locked. I know it can be a few things like pwm/tcc apply(which i really think thats the problem after getting the p0757 code) But im just asking other questions and trying to eliminate possiable problems...
Old 10-19-2005, 10:42 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
I know it can be a few things like pwm/tcc apply

I think that's it. I bumped mine up to 98% and it locks up and stays locked.

The converter install is pretty straight forward. If it's in.....it's in. If not ......by by pump.
Old 10-19-2005, 10:50 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the converter was not installed properly, not well seated, as soon as you start the engine the pump would be toast. You would not be able to drive it, or not for very long. What converter did you install (is it the Midwest)? Some companies like using Kevlar as the TCC material, but it is too harsh for daily driving duty. It may be fine for WOT and Racing applications, but not for a street vehicle.
Old 10-19-2005, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont want to say what converter i have installed as im trying to figure out if it is the converter/pcm/the install/or the fluid used. Well i did figure that if it wasnt installed right that the pump would be shot on first start up but wasnt sure. They did do a road test after the install and i also drove it 20 or so miles so far and it seemed to work just fine except for the lock-up shudder when im cruising and i apply some throttle to go a little faster, the whole car vibrates as if the clutch is not locked hard enough and its slipping.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:02 PM
10 Second Club

Do you have access to HPTuners or Edit?
Old 10-19-2005, 06:22 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the converter wasn't installed all the way what would happen
Why the hell are you guys talking about tuning?

Well I don't get it. If the converter was not installed all the way you would bolt the bellhousing to the engine. Then when you got around to it you'd get under the car and rotate the converter to align the bolt holes. RIGHT THERE YOU KNOW IT'S NOT IN ALL THE WAY BECAUSE IT WON'T TURN BY HAND.
If it turns by hand it's in all the way.
i EVEN FELT THE NEED TO ADD THE BY HAND PART.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:58 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by jxaxsxoxn
Why the hell are you guys talking about tuning?

Are you always a smart *** when you post? The reason we talked about tuning is because he said he is having problems with lockup shudder. Usually tuning will help that. Either adjusting the misfire tables or upping the TCC tables (Usually bumping TCC DC vs. Line Pressure vs. Trans temp up to 98).

Well I don't get it. If the converter was not installed all the way you would bolt the bellhousing to the engine. Then when you got around to it you'd get under the car and rotate the converter to align the bolt holes. RIGHT THERE YOU KNOW IT'S NOT IN ALL THE WAY BECAUSE IT WON'T TURN BY HAND.
If it turns by hand it's in all the way.
i EVEN FELT THE NEED TO ADD THE BY HAND PART.

Another way to tell if the car is already on the road is that.....if it wasn't seated it probably tore up the pump and the vehicle won't move now. The fact that the vehicle is driving around and the only problem is lockup......we can probably rule this out.
Old 10-22-2005, 05:15 PM
Banned

We could talk about tuning this car on a thread titled If the converter wasn't installed all the way what would happen?
Or we can talk about it in the other thread by the same person on the same car asking about tuning or using type F fluid or something.

Are you always a smart *** when you post?
Usually for the obvious question, the repeated on a weekly basis questions, muliple posts about the same problems, stuff like that gets old.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:56 PM
TECH Regular

i had one TQ that would chatter or shudder in OD at 36 mph on till 40 mph. (i have the 3.42 gears )
after alittle tunning on the OD lock up at 42mph shudder went away, but that TQ was awesome but more for race my mpg went down to 11 or so on the streets. :it had Kevlar"
i now sense have another TQ alot more daily driver friendly :-) and OD locks at 36 mph.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:52 AM
TECH Resident

Yes, incorrectly seated verter you would not even be able to roate the flywheel, by hand or pull bar on crank. However I had my incorrectly seated and bolted the tranny up by using the bolts to pull it in (meaning my verter wasn't fully seated). Then realized it when I couldn't rotate crank, took verter out, seated it properly, fired it up, put it in reverse and my pump blew. That's what I'm working on now.
Just some info.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jay_99z
Heres a perfect example of why I'm such a dick.

Scan a page, go to put it up here, it's too big, resize it, put it up here.
AND WHAT THE **** DO I GET FOR IT IN RETURN? A THANKS TO ANOTHER ******* SITE!
Old 10-23-2005, 02:46 PM
TECH Resident

I know you helped me out a lot! I appreciate your help man!
Old 10-23-2005, 07:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by BigBlockChev572
I know you helped me out a lot! I appreciate your help man!
I appreciate that, and Thank You
Old 10-23-2005, 08:20 PM
10 Second Club

If this stuff bothers you so much why keep posting? I know you have helped a lot of people on here and yeah......sometimes it gets old seeing the same problems posted up. I know some will talk **** and others will never give a thank you when you try to help but anytime I've needed help or info I've gotten it here. I try to give a little back and help the "good ones".

But hey....do what you gotta do.
Old 10-23-2005, 09:06 PM
12 Second Club

Man, you have just described my TC problem exactly...
This is what we determined: The TC must have had some type of defect, whether it was not balanced properly, or just something not right.
After about 6 months of dicking around, and going into limp home mode, instead of locking up, (the PO757 code all the time) my tranny finally **** itself.
When we pulled it apart, the TC had come off the shaft and the pump was destroyed. There was alot of chaffing on the end of the TC shaft, which led us to believe the TC was out of balance and just kept wearing out the end of the shaft. Making it looser and looser, until it finally came off the pump shaft, and grenaded the pump.
How did we fix it?
Replaced the pump, and put the stocker TC back in. I've never had the slightest little problem ever since. Heavy sigh of relief....
Old 10-23-2005, 10:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

ok an update to my problem.. All the problems i have been having are due to tuning. I still have the shudder problem but with tuning im sure i can fix that too... As for jxaxsxoxn, chill out. I did ask what if the converter wasnt installed right but i also mentioned other problems i am experiencing. I did that cause i wanted as many possiable answers to my many questions that i have with out making 500 posts asking every damn problem which i come to find out its just really one problem(tuning) thats causing a mist of problems.. I really didnt think the converter was installed correctly but with my car acting all messed up i had to ask the dumb questions to rule them out cause i find in life the things you think that wont matter are usually the ones that go unchecked and are the cause of your problems so again i just had to ask..
Old 10-24-2005, 04:18 AM
Banned

Hey I was asked a question and answered it. You should tell others if they don't like my response ignore it. All I'm doing is answering a question.
Old 10-24-2005, 06:03 AM
10 Second Club

Hey I was asked a question and answered it. You should tell others if they don't like my response ignore it. All I'm doing is answering a question.

Old 10-24-2005, 06:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BubaGumpShrimp
ok an update to my problem.. All the problems i have been having are due to tuning. I still have the shudder problem but with tuning im sure i can fix that too.
Sent you a PM.